Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 440307 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #6275 on: November 27, 2021, 05:58:09 PM »
Too early for concrete evidence, but it appears the omicron variant is very mild. It will be interesting to see severity of lockdown for a variant that actually might fit Bogie's "it's just a cold" thesis.

New shutdowns for something that creates a couple days of lethargy would be pretty ridiculous. This (again, if initial research is accurate) would be a good case for letting people just get it and gain some natural, robust antibodies that might help them with a future more serious variant.

I don't know why the quoted doctor used the word "unusual". For me and most people I know or have read about that have had covid, lethargy is a very common symptom of all the current strains.

https://www.foxnews.com/health/south-african-doctor-omicron-variant-symptoms-unusual-mild
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #6276 on: November 27, 2021, 09:33:35 PM »
Damn, but I love the words "asymptomatic" and "variant."

They're nice and big and haven't been used all that much up until now.

The common cold has always mutated. That is why we haven't seen a vaccine for it.

And there are a whole bunch of bugs in that extended family...

Blog under construction

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6277 on: November 28, 2021, 10:16:08 AM »
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.11.19.21266555v1

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/protection-offered-by-booster-shot-beats-natural-immunity-study-suggests/

It is becoming more clear that COVID immunity, whether by vaccine or infection, has a shelf life and fades over time.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #6278 on: November 28, 2021, 11:53:57 AM »

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/protection-offered-by-booster-shot-beats-natural-immunity-study-suggests/

It is becoming more clear that COVID immunity, whether by vaccine or infection, has a shelf life and fades over time.

Kind of like the … flu or colds?

It’s well past time to treat Covid as endemic rather than as a pandemic.  Encourage jabs, just like for seasonal flu, and otherwise stop obsessing over it.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6279 on: November 28, 2021, 12:46:32 PM »

And yet there are plenty of recent studies that make the opposite case.  What and who are we to believe?
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6280 on: November 28, 2021, 12:56:08 PM »
Kind of like the … flu or colds?

It’s well past time to treat Covid as endemic rather than as a pandemic.  Encourage jabs, just like for seasonal flu, and otherwise stop obsessing over it.

If Omicron is an indication, it's becoming milder in order to survive (can't propagate if you keep killing your hosts), so it would seem moving it to "cold and flu" status. versus "lockdown" status, would make sense. Most all of my past colds and flus have been worse than the symptoms they are currently stating for Omicron. If I catch it, I'll stay in the house for a day, resting and binging Netflixc, then go on about my business.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #6281 on: November 28, 2021, 12:56:35 PM »
And yet there are plenty of recent studies that make the opposite case.  What and who are we to believe?

In either case, the answer is the same.

Immunity lasts = normal life again

Immunity fades = oh, well = normal life again
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6282 on: November 28, 2021, 01:12:17 PM »
I just got back from a run to Trader Joe's in the city. Unlike what I've been seeing for the past at least half year in the cities here, there were WAY more masked people than unmasked people. Like maybe 70/30.

I only get to TJ's maybe a couple times a year anymore, so I have no idea if this is just the TJ hippie clientele's culture or if people are reacting to the Friday news of Omicron. I usually stay away from the big box stores between now and Christmas, but if I get to any of them in the next couple weeks I'll have to see if the city folk are reacting to the Omicron or if this was just the TJ's crowd.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #6283 on: November 28, 2021, 02:18:49 PM »

It's an accepted fact that some vaccinated people are getting infected and sick from covid-19 despite being vaccinated.

On the other hand I'm not seeing or hearing much in the way of reinfections resulting in persons getting ill anywhere.

As a matter of fact the last time I looked the CDC was calling reinfections incredibly rare ... but still get jabbed anyway.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #6284 on: November 28, 2021, 02:22:22 PM »
I want to know why they are skipping all over the Greek alphabet? They had a perfect opportunity to name this new variant Xi and let it pass by. Pussies!!

bob

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6285 on: November 28, 2021, 02:34:50 PM »
I want to know why they are skipping all over the Greek alphabet? They had a perfect opportunity to name this new variant Xi and let it pass by. Pussies!!

bob

The CDC released a big explanation on that. They skipped "Nu" because they were afraid people would think it was a new virus, and they skipped "Xi" because, I quote, "A lot of people in the world have that surname and we didn't want to offend anyone." Yeah - a lot of people, but we can bet dollars to donuts they were only concerned with one Xi.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #6286 on: November 28, 2021, 04:25:21 PM »

I think the evidence is irrefutable!
 we have to only trust people like rocketman, bogie, ben and other great thinkers here at APS
 if i had taken the great advice i have gotten here , i would be a lot better off today!

after nearly two weeks close to death with the covid, my new plan is to get all the ducks in a row for the next time.
bottled oxygen, learn this tech device thing that measures oxygen and learn how to use it, ivermectin, hydroxychloroquine, D3 and zinc etc and learn how to use it .

After that I plan to urge we nuke red China over and over again until we are sure the red menace is defeated
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #6287 on: November 28, 2021, 06:18:47 PM »
On the other hand I'm not seeing or hearing much in the way of reinfections resulting in persons getting ill anywhere.
I personally know several.

One is likely up to three times (at least she lost her sense of smell again, didn’t bother to get tested the third go-round).

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #6288 on: November 28, 2021, 08:52:39 PM »
I know one person who caught it while at chemo. She was in her seventies, two kinds of cancer, and MS...

Didn't make it.

My friend Kay got her booster shot. Died a couple-three days later.
Blog under construction

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #6289 on: November 28, 2021, 10:33:00 PM »
Bogie - my condolences on the loss of your friend Kay.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #6290 on: November 28, 2021, 11:00:25 PM »
Bogie - my condolences on the loss of your friend Kay.

same bro, sorry!
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6291 on: November 29, 2021, 12:27:32 PM »
Holy crap. I'd rather die of the covids than turn into this. Props to Walmart for banning him from their store.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1464437031917002757

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6292 on: November 29, 2021, 12:33:05 PM »
Holy crap. I'd rather die of the covids than turn into this. Props to Walmart for banning him from their store.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1464437031917002757

It really hurts to think how far into the sewer my home state has descended.  I was back in Tigard about a month ago visiting family.  We went to a few restaurants while I was there, and some folks unreasoning fear of the beer virus was palpable.  Unfortunately, that fear was also exhibited by some of my relatives.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6293 on: November 29, 2021, 12:42:38 PM »
It really hurts to think how far into the sewer my home state has descended.  I was back in Tigard about a month ago visiting family.  We went to a few restaurants while I was there, and some folks unreasoning fear of the beer virus was palpable.  Unfortunately, that fear was also exhibited by some of my relatives.

Same with me and when I talk to people from CA. It's two different worlds, and each one thinks the other is nuts. I just prefer my flavor of nuts because while there might be more risk, there's a heck of a lot more freedom.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #6294 on: November 29, 2021, 01:02:02 PM »
Same with me and when I talk to people from CA. It's two different worlds, and each one thinks the other is nuts. I just prefer my flavor of nuts because while there might be more risk, there's a heck of a lot more freedom.

I don't have to go nearly that far to find the different varieties of nuts. Here in rural NV a mere 60 miles or so from the big city of Las Vegas the attitudes are quite different. There is a small but growing group in LV that are beginning to see the light and realize the only way to get to it is to not comply with whatever mask mandates are in place where they want to go.

bob

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6295 on: November 29, 2021, 01:09:20 PM »
I don't have to go nearly that far to find the different varieties of nuts. Here in rural NV a mere 60 miles or so from the big city of Las Vegas the attitudes are quite different. There is a small but growing group in LV that are beginning to see the light and realize the only way to get to it is to not comply with whatever mask mandates are in place where they want to go.

bob

Oh, certainly Boise is different than where I am, but the folks I talk to in CA are just way out there. Even people I know there that I have always considered reasonable. It's amazing what local culture and media can do.

California just seems to have really gone all in. Even liberal people I talk to in Germany are not as fanatical as semi-conservative people I talk to in CA. And again, these are people that I always thought had a good head on their shoulders. It's not even like they are pro-mandates, they are just brainwashed into "of course mandates are the only answer" and they just go along with it all almost involuntarily. They are simply shocked that I go places maskless and have not taken the jab.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6296 on: November 29, 2021, 01:14:07 PM »
I am about 45 miles north of Seattle in a small town that is largely a bedroom community for Everett and King County.  In 2019, the area had a median age of 39 years and a median income of $ 83,000. This area is purplish with the moderate Republicans dominating local and state legislative positions. 

In my travels to the local retail and other business establishments, I would say about 60% of people follow the state mask mandates, and the people who do so are typically middle-aged on up.  What I don't encounter are people harassing other people about their masking choices, so I applaud the live and let live attitude.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6297 on: November 30, 2021, 01:08:18 PM »
I don't spend much time looking at national covid stats, but I've been following the stats in St Louis County, MO, where I live. The numbers for this fall are so far very far short of this time last year. Our highest recorded number of new cases in one day was 1,174, on 19 November, last year. On 19 November this year, there were 240 new cases recorded. The same day last year, there were 16 Covid deaths recorded, versus 1 this year. (Our record number of deaths in one day was 25, which was a few weeks after 19 November last year.)

Granted, you could say I’m cherry-picking, but I’m really just giving an example illustrative of the trend. My source:

https://stlouiscountymo.gov/st-louis-county-departments/public-health/covid-19/covid-19-data-reports/

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #6298 on: November 30, 2021, 04:37:21 PM »
The numbers for this fall are so far very far short of this time last year. Our highest recorded number of new cases in one day was 1,174, on 19 November, last year. On 19 November this year, there were 240 new cases recorded. The same day last year, there were 16 Covid deaths recorded, versus 1 this year. (Our record number of deaths in one day was 25, which was a few weeks after 19 November last year.)

Thanks to the Trump vaccines?
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6299 on: November 30, 2021, 04:56:39 PM »
I go into work yesterday, after the Thanksgiving break, and half the conversation seems to be about a newly-invented Greek letter (they've never heard of omicron). It's dotard all over again.  :facepalm:  Thanks, television.

Thanks to the Trump vaccines?

Quite possibly.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 05:16:50 PM by Perd Hapley »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife