Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 445487 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #6400 on: December 10, 2021, 01:06:53 PM »
But if you question ANYTHING, you are an uneducated bumpkin denier.

I guess I'm one, who spent over a decade poring over research data, looking for mistakes...

I know you like to say that your former colleagues thought you had a Ph.D, but you don't, do you?  Do you have any academic credentials in STEM or healthcare that make you an expert on the subject?  Or are you self-taught?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #6401 on: December 10, 2021, 01:22:57 PM »
I guess I'm just a dumb bumpkin. My media and political statistics courses probably didn't transfer anything at all to the medical field. I should just sit back and accept that being lied to is a good thing.

We should all believe in this.

I particularly like the guy at about 0:45 who hesitates a little, and then assumes a more comfortable position.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/china/video-2094890/Video-Dramatic-footage-shows-people-collapsing-suddenly-Wuhan-city.html
Blog under construction

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #6402 on: December 10, 2021, 01:30:31 PM »
I guess I'm just a dumb bumpkin. My media and political statistics courses probably didn't transfer anything at all to the medical field. I should just sit back and accept that being lied to is a good thing.

We should all believe in this.

I particularly like the guy at about 0:45 who hesitates a little, and then assumes a more comfortable position.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/china/video-2094890/Video-Dramatic-footage-shows-people-collapsing-suddenly-Wuhan-city.html

I think Millcreek's question was apt.  There is nothing wrong with being self-taught or learned on-the-job, although it doesn't carry much weight if you present yourself as an expert rather than just knowledgeable, or publish something.

I like that video too =)

Edit: tried to fix awkward sentence.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2021, 03:06:48 PM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #6403 on: December 10, 2021, 01:35:00 PM »
What did I learn while in the labs?

Don't lie.

Don't stretch the truth.

Don't hide data that you don't like.

Don't massage the data to get the result you want.

Anecdotes are not data.

The bureaucrats may not figure it out, but trial lawyers will.

I guess that's dumb.

Maybe I got dumb since I was younger, and tested at over 150 Stanford-Binet. Maybe the whole geek syndrome thing has led me to ignoring the real statistics. Maybe the courses I took in investigative journalism (major was PR) were useless. Maybe the time I spent working for the consulting group, and then the research labs was all a dream. I should put on my Level IV biohazard mask (that came in a package that said "not for medical use") and go look for people dying in the streets.

Only body that was in the street near my place had been shot.
Blog under construction

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6404 on: December 10, 2021, 01:50:11 PM »
There are perhaps people in St. Louis that expect to see bodies in the streets, but as far as I know there are none on APS, so why do you keep bringing them up?  In every one of the several COVID threads on this site, whenever we try and have some kind of balanced conversation you jump in with "the media says people are dying in the streets!!!REEE!"  Fine.  *expletive deleted*ing camp out on the media website's comments sections and accuse them of scare mongering, but no one here is doing that, so maybe get a new response?

Also, FWIW, the Daily Mail is unreliable enough that Wikipedia does not allow it as a source, so I'd take that article and video with a whole damn salt lick.  Elvis is not singing at alien birthday parties either.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #6405 on: December 10, 2021, 01:52:54 PM »
What am I learning here?

Elmer Keith didn't have a degree in ballistics.

The Wright Brothers were not aeronautical engineers.

Bill Gates was a dropout.

Bumblebees cannot fly.

HR managers don't care about experience  - they want to see education and numbers that will cover their asses. I remember seeing a help wanted ad a while back that was asking for five years of experience using a Windows iteration that had been released the year before...
Blog under construction

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #6406 on: December 10, 2021, 02:02:45 PM »
People still WANTED to believe...

https://www.tasnimnews.com/en/news/2020/01/24/2188257/disturbing-footages-show-people-collapsing-in-virus-hit-chinese-city-of-wuhan

https://www.nbcnews.com/specials/wuhan-to-coventry-tracking-coronavirus-in-pictures/

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/10808633/coronavirus-wuhan-zombieland/

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-wuhan-barricades/in-china-walled-up-wuhan-awaits-life-beyond-the-barricades-idUKKBN21G0I9

And are still believing.

About hospitals being overwhelmed... by dancing zombies?

How giant cobbled together facilities costing millions of dollars, but which saw few patients, were instrumental in saving lives?

How taking the patients, who should have been isolated, and shuffling them into facilities, which should have been isolated, was the optimum solution?

And if you're gonna do a video call into work, make sure you leave your pants off...
Blog under construction

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #6407 on: December 10, 2021, 02:06:58 PM »
I'm not sure who you are arguing with now
"It's good, though..."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6408 on: December 10, 2021, 02:08:43 PM »
No.

One.

Here.

Believes.

That.

Who are you talking to?  Or are you just yelling into the void?

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #6409 on: December 10, 2021, 02:27:05 PM »
Okay. The cases are gonna kill everyone. You win.

Make sure you wear gloves when you go out too.
Blog under construction

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #6410 on: December 10, 2021, 03:04:18 PM »
I don't think dogmush, zxcvbob, or MillCreek are taking that position, Bogie.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #6411 on: December 10, 2021, 03:25:26 PM »
Trust the media. Trust the bureaucrats. Trust the politicians.

Believe. Because your betters insist. You horrible essentials need to mask up, and take care of them. Where are your gloves? I want to speak with your manager.

This horrible thing can only be stopped from destroying everything if we destroy everything.

Blog under construction

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #6412 on: December 10, 2021, 03:31:09 PM »
As it is, gloves are now on a back shelf, and are reserved for customers who we know need them for chemical protection - because the covid dancers seem to love the damn things. Then again, I've also seen cloth gloves and welding gauntlets...

Still having problems sourcing respirator stuff.

Thank the deities that the damn fools haven't started repurposing coffee filters yet.

But hey, what do I know... I'm just dumb.
Blog under construction

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #6413 on: December 10, 2021, 05:02:05 PM »
Maybe some of y'all aren't in the same sort of political area I'm in... The handwavium around here is extreme. There's a restaurant near me which still MANDATES (they love that word...) that you wear a mask from the door to your table, but then you're perfectly okay... The tame essentials wear their masks proudly. I went in a cell phone store the other day to inquire about something - the kid, wearing a chin mask, was downright rude when he told me that I had to go out and put on a mask to spend money there.

Chin mask. Sigh.

The local media seems to love case counts. Never mind that 16 people died WITH the 'rona here (with no release about demographics...) in the city since November 1 - it's the rising number of CASES!

I have a cow orker who proclaims that if he catches it, he's going to die (and he's had it once already, but natch...). And he uses it as an excuse to be rude to anyone who doesn't fit his definition of safe (young, female, not tweaking,,, much...) to tell them to "back off!" He also refuses to install batteries, headlights, and so on. Maybe he'll catch something. And he calls me an "old man" while I'm carrying one out to a customer car...

The hipsters love their masks. It shows that they care. We've also got a lot of low-info folks around here. They believe everything they see on television.
Blog under construction

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #6414 on: December 10, 2021, 05:19:44 PM »
Maybe some of y'all aren't in the same sort of political area I'm in... The handwavium around here is extreme. There's a restaurant near me which still MANDATES (they love that word...) that you wear a mask from the door to your table, but then you're perfectly okay... The tame essentials wear their masks proudly. I went in a cell phone store the other day to inquire about something - the kid, wearing a chin mask, was downright rude when he told me that I had to go out and put on a mask to spend money there.

Chin mask. Sigh.

The local media seems to love case counts. Never mind that 16 people died WITH the 'rona here (with no release about demographics...) in the city since November 1 - it's the rising number of CASES!

I have a cow orker who proclaims that if he catches it, he's going to die (and he's had it once already, but natch...). And he uses it as an excuse to be rude to anyone who doesn't fit his definition of safe (young, female, not tweaking,,, much...) to tell them to "back off!" He also refuses to install batteries, headlights, and so on. Maybe he'll catch something. And he calls me an "old man" while I'm carrying one out to a customer car...

The hipsters love their masks. It shows that they care. We've also got a lot of low-info folks around here. They believe everything they see on television.

Now I'm confused.  Has anyone disagreed with you on any of that?   I am getting really tired of hearing about cases here in Minnesota.  Tell me about hospitalizations; that's a useful number.  The governor is talking about sending home test kits to everybody.  I'm sure that's to keep the "case" count up because otherwise the numbers are not sustainable.
"It's good, though..."

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #6415 on: December 10, 2021, 05:38:07 PM »
According to the City administration's web page, there have been 755 hospitalizations in the past 14 days.

No word on how many of them were "we're going to keep you overnight, and bill your insurance a few grand" and so forth.

Let's see... Their two-week sample: 6 fatalities out of 755 in a population of 319,000...

Looks like about 0.8% of the folks who were sick enough to keep were fatal... But... 816 confirmed cases? From 14,786 tests? Looks like they tested close to 5% of the population in two weeks... Then again, that is possible, since they're still doing heavy testing in the lower income sections of the City. And some of those folks are firmly convinced that getting tested means that they're safe, and if they have their car's scanner read by our OBDII gizmo, that'll fix whatever is wrong with it.
Blog under construction

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #6416 on: December 10, 2021, 05:44:10 PM »
According to the City administration's web page, there have been 755 hospitalizations in the past 14 days.

No word on how many of them were "we're going to keep you overnight, and bill your insurance a few grand" and so forth.

Let's see... Their two-week sample: 6 fatalities out of 755 in a population of 319,000...

Looks like about 0.8% of the folks who were sick enough to keep were fatal... But... 816 confirmed cases? From 14,786 tests? Looks like they tested close to 5% of the population in two weeks... Then again, that is possible, since they're still doing heavy testing in the lower income sections of the City. And some of those folks are firmly convinced that getting tested means that they're safe, and if they have their car's scanner read by our OBDII gizmo, that'll fix whatever is wrong with it.

The reasoning you’re using is horribly flawed here. If you applied the same method to Ebola you would conclude it’s not really that bad, since 0 percent of St Louis died of it last year. That example is what’s wrong with your entire approach to COVID.

"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #6417 on: December 10, 2021, 05:44:50 PM »

[snip]

That's a good point that even the hospitalizations numbers might be inflated.  But "cases" is totally useless.  And my wife is neurotic about how many cases there are in this county, so I never hear the end of it.  Perhaps that's PTSD because we've had a friend die from it.  (he was 80-something years old, but had no comorbidities that we knew of except for being old)  BTW, his cause of death was listed as heart failure rather than covid.
"It's good, though..."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #6418 on: December 10, 2021, 05:59:35 PM »
The reasoning you’re using is horribly flawed here. If you applied the same method to Ebola you would conclude it’s not really that bad, since 0 percent of St Louis died of it last year. That example is what’s wrong with your entire approach to COVID.

That totally depends on whether St Louis is a representative sample or not.  For COVID, it probably is but not necessarily.  I give Bogie the benefit of the doubt on that one.  Ebola is a strawman.
"It's good, though..."

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #6419 on: December 10, 2021, 06:00:14 PM »

So St. Louis is special, and radically different from every place else?

Blog under construction

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #6420 on: December 10, 2021, 06:24:24 PM »
I was just on the MO website and they are still counting with covid for deaths. Not surprised that most of the deaths are people over 80.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6421 on: December 10, 2021, 06:35:56 PM »
That totally depends on whether St Louis is a representative sample or not.  For COVID, it probably is but not necessarily.  I give Bogie the benefit of the doubt on that one.  Ebola is a strawman.

If he only had a... You know, that thing
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #6422 on: December 10, 2021, 06:38:46 PM »

If he only had a... You know, that thing

Courage? ;)
"It's good, though..."

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #6423 on: December 10, 2021, 06:44:53 PM »
Following much of the "reasoning," would might see a major urban area where 50 people would be shot on a "party weekend," with 5 of them fatal...

The "reasoning," therefore, is that there is a 10% chance of dying in that urban area.

Using only presented cases as a yardstick, one sees a significantly higher fatality rate. But that must be ignored, because to point out the bias in the data selection is now science denial.

"Reasoning" such as this goes back to the initially publicized Seattle nursing home cases - Something like 30% of the residents died...

But they didn't publicize how none of the help did... Or that many of the help were also working in other facilities. It is common for medical professionals, especially in fields such is wound prevention/care, to consult in multiple venue.

Lies. Damn lies... And manipulated statistics.
Blog under construction

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #6424 on: December 10, 2021, 08:03:59 PM »
So St. Louis is special, and radically different from every place else?

No, it is not - The math of cases vs deaths works out like everywhere else. Your hard math fail is why you can’t see that.

Again: looking at some locality, ignoring infection rates and outcomes of those infections, and declaring “only .2 percent died” is exactly the same flawed reasoning that would lead you to conclude Ebola is not that bad.

There is no strawman here - that’s exactly what Bogie is claiming. You can only arrive at such a wrongheaded position by not examining the rate of spread, and the outcomes for the number of cases you have.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."