Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 444412 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #250 on: March 02, 2020, 07:40:51 AM »
Measles R0?

12 to 18.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #251 on: March 02, 2020, 07:41:48 AM »
From another forum:

I hate to say it, but it fits so far.

I LOVE screechy panic monkey mode!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #252 on: March 02, 2020, 08:13:44 AM »

I LOVE screechy panic monkey mode!

My thought, too.

That guy needs to tighten his tinfoil hat.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #254 on: March 02, 2020, 08:32:42 AM »
Not surprising at all.

I was seeing some... interesting... gaps on the shelves at the local Walmart yesterday. Nothing untoward, and not widespread, and bread and milk were in plentiful supply, but random items that they normally have, such as Zatarain's Red Beans and Rice, were missing.

I've been talking to a number of my friends and I believe that we are all ahead of the bell curve on this.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #255 on: March 02, 2020, 08:44:51 AM »
#2 died in Washington State this morning, how long until we quit counting deaths related to this virus in the US?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #256 on: March 02, 2020, 08:47:07 AM »
#2 died in Washington State this morning, how long until we quit counting deaths related to this virus in the US?

Pretty sure it'll need to top 20K.

And since it just passed 3K worldwide, that'll take a while.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #257 on: March 02, 2020, 08:54:09 AM »
I've been talking to a number of my friends and I believe that we are all ahead of the bell curve on this.

We tend to be more aware of what's going on in the world as that is one of our hobbies. (As evidenced by our discussions here.)

I don't think any of use were panicking- the risk to otherwise healthy people from this virus is fairly small.1 As my biggest concern is my children, I was relieved to read how coronavirii tend not to be dangerous to young children.

As most of us also tend to be ready for emergency events, this is a "mini-prep" and all it took us was to do a little forward-looking extra purchases of things we would have bought at some point, just to have a little extra on hand presently (so that we don't have to dip into our actual "emergency preparations.")

It's surprising how little some people are aware of world events. My wife relies on me to know what's going on in the world and most of her friends don't really follow the news.

1: I'm aware we have several members who aren't "otherwise healthy", but I don't think they are panicking either. They just have a different risk structure and should take even more care to prevent infection.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #258 on: March 02, 2020, 08:59:01 AM »
Well, one irritating tangential of a "just affects Ben" nature: With a somewhat mild Winter here, I'm needing to start spraying for weeds and whatnot, and don't have spare filters for my half mask. The 3M vapor cartridges I use that normally cost $15, are either $100 or not available. Idiots are now buying out organic vapor and acid respirators. I guess I'll need to use last year's cartridges, hope they're still good, and pick a day with some light wind.

Gotta wonder how many people that do stuff for a living that requires respiratory protection are SOL if they need replacement equipment right now.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #259 on: March 02, 2020, 09:05:48 AM »
As most of us also tend to be ready for emergency events, this is a "mini-prep" and all it took us was to do a little forward-looking extra purchases of things we would have bought at some point, just to have a little extra on hand presently (so that we don't have to dip into our actual "emergency preparations.")

Yup, that's certainly where I was. Rather than possibly needing to dip into the "real SHTF stores", I bought steak and other stuff for the freezer, and made sure I had extra convenience stuff like paper towels and TP*, and water softener salt and other things that aren't critical, but would be a nuisance to be without if I decided I didn't want to be around people for a while, or else were everyday things (that the linked article above verified) that people were going to panic buy.

* I have always kept loads of Costco sized TP packages around in the belief that they will make me a wealthy post-apocalyptic Warlord.  :laugh:

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #260 on: March 02, 2020, 09:10:06 AM »
TP, booze, cigarettes/tobacco are easily stored and traded/sold after the Bugaloo starts.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #261 on: March 02, 2020, 09:10:13 AM »
We tend to be more aware of what's going on in the world as that is one of our hobbies. (As evidenced by our discussions here.)

I don't think any of use were panicking- the risk to otherwise healthy people from this virus is fairly small.1 As my biggest concern is my children, I was relieved to read how coronavirii tend not to be dangerous to young children.

It's surprising how little some people are aware of world events. My wife relies on me to know what's going on in the world and most of her friends don't really follow the news.

1: I'm aware we have several members who aren't "otherwise healthy", but I don't think they are panicking either. They just have a different risk structure and should take even more care to prevent infection.
When it comes to news, I mostly get it from my twitter feed, talk radio, here, and occasionally news headline sites.  I stopped watching TV news of any kind years ago.  I check the weather report occasionally, but that's it.  With the constant liberal spin, 'if-it-bleeds-it-leads' reporting, and the "sob story of the day", I found it was just depressing.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #262 on: March 02, 2020, 09:13:59 AM »
Yup, that's certainly where I was. Rather than possibly needing to dip into the "real SHTF stores", I bought steak and other stuff for the freezer, and made sure I had extra convenience stuff like paper towels and TP*, and water softener salt and other things that aren't critical, but would be a nuisance to be without if I decided I didn't want to be around people for a while, or else were everyday things (that the linked article above verified) that people were going to panic buy.

* I have always kept loads of Costco sized TP packages around in the belief that they will make me a wealthy post-apocalyptic Warlord.  :laugh:
I have a short list at home of stuff I forgot to get last time like peanut butter and extra bread.  I don't have any steaks.  Thanks for the reminder.  Add that to my list.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #263 on: March 02, 2020, 09:19:00 AM »
I have a short list at home of stuff I forgot to get last time like peanut butter and extra bread.  I don't have any steaks.  Thanks for the reminder.  Add that to my list.

Jelly! I think we only have about 1/3 of a jar of jelly left.1 Added to the list.

1: Of the kids' jelly. We have almost a full jar of some very good blackberry preserves, but that's not going on PB&Js.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #264 on: March 02, 2020, 09:28:21 AM »
So one of the Washingtons state residents who is identified as having COVID-19 was in one of my clinics last week with respiratory symptoms.  Guess where I am this morning, along with reps from the local and State health departments.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #265 on: March 02, 2020, 09:31:25 AM »
So one of the Washingtons state residents who is identified as having COVID-19 was in one of my clinics last week with respiratory symptoms.  Guess where I am this morning, along with reps from the local and State health departments.
The Mormon home storage center?

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #266 on: March 02, 2020, 09:32:49 AM »
Guess where I am this morning, along with reps from the local and State health departments.

Out and about, sharing the virus far and wide?
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #267 on: March 02, 2020, 09:40:03 AM »
Locally owned AOR radio station has been announcing every 30 minutes to stock up on food and sanitation/hygiene supplies to make through 2-3 weeks. Rational is if you're sick, you can stay home.

Uranus is a gas giant.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #268 on: March 02, 2020, 09:42:29 AM »
Well, one irritating tangential of a "just affects Ben" nature: With a somewhat mild Winter here, I'm needing to start spraying for weeds and whatnot, and don't have spare filters for my half mask. The 3M vapor cartridges I use that normally cost $15, are either $100 or not available. Idiots are now buying out organic vapor and acid respirators. I guess I'll need to use last year's cartridges, hope they're still good, and pick a day with some light wind.

Gotta wonder how many people that do stuff for a living that requires respiratory protection are SOL if they need replacement equipment right now.

What are you spraying that requires a respirator?

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #269 on: March 02, 2020, 09:47:08 AM »
What are you spraying that requires a respirator?

Nothing that requires one, but I'm super paranoid about breathing crap in. Just Roundup and Crossbow right now. I even wear a respirator (just a paper N95) when I use the leaf blower.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #270 on: March 02, 2020, 09:54:31 AM »
Nothing that requires one, but I'm super paranoid about breathing crap in. Just Roundup and Crossbow right now. I even wear a respirator (just a paper N95) when I use the leaf blower.

Gotcha

Uranus is a gas giant.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #271 on: March 02, 2020, 10:17:28 AM »
IMO, it is not a bad idea to avoid unnecessary exposure to any of the "harmless" chemicals we use in the house or out in the yard/land. 

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #272 on: March 02, 2020, 10:33:35 AM »
A couple of interesting snippets heard on the business news this morning:

A discussion panel composed of epidemiologists and other experts were making the case that the lack of information and misinformation coming out of China were not all China's fault, but that much of the blame is squarely in WHO's domain. Apparently they have been really bad about information handling, and one of the WHO bigwigs happens to also be /have been a bigwig in the Chinese government.

Another discussion about people being smart and teleworking got me to thinking about what this virus might have looked at 30 years ago. I have no idea on numbers, but certainly a good part of the modern workforce can easily telecommute without much economic or operational effect for them or their employer. Without that current ability, I wonder how much farther the virus might have spread?

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #273 on: March 02, 2020, 10:48:53 AM »
30 years ago we didn't have the world connected by air travel that could take a person around the globe in 24 hours. Nor did we have hundreds of cargo ships delivering rubber dog *expletive deleted*it from Hong Kong.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #274 on: March 02, 2020, 10:49:20 AM »
Also just heard on the news: In Iran, a religious ceremony is going on right now that requires pilgrims to kiss and lick some shrine. And they're doing it.