Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 440191 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #326 on: March 03, 2020, 01:20:36 PM »
Must be a Costco thing, Kroger is stocked up on everything.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #328 on: March 03, 2020, 02:38:37 PM »
Do mutual funds count as panic buying and/or hoarding?

Asking for a friend.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #329 on: March 03, 2020, 04:56:05 PM »
Huh? People weren't traveling all over the world in 1990? I was traveling to tropical dive locations during that decade, and all the planes were full.

It was a giant hassle. The number of widebodys that could travel long distances was limited.  Now thanks to fuel saving engines, planes don't even need to be widebodies.  We've got A32N's flying across the pond now Airbus 320 neo)

It took multiple connections and only in limited airports just as recently as 30 years ago to get from here to somewhere like Dubai or from the east coast to Asia.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #330 on: March 03, 2020, 05:10:25 PM »
We're just now this week getting around to testing enmasse.
So the 8th death...actually died on the 26th of last week.  They circled back and tested the decedent because he was from the nursing home in WA, and died of a respiratory illness.
Jesus *expletive deleted*ing christ the US government is botching this. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #331 on: March 03, 2020, 05:27:35 PM »
I'm torn between saving my money in case of a forced, lengthy leave from work and draining the savings account for more guns and ammo . . . .
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #332 on: March 03, 2020, 05:36:34 PM »
I'm torn between saving my money in case of a forced, lengthy leave from work and draining the savings account for more guns and ammo . . . .

I wouldn't sweat more guns and ammo.  Have something on hand you can fight off a few looters with? That's all you need.
This is not a TEOTWAWKI level event.  It could suck. It could suck pretty bad. 
Having food means if the stores run low on stuff you want, you aren't gonna starve, and that if you get forced into quarantine you're not going to starve.
Save money and store consumables and food you'll use anyways.
JD

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #333 on: March 03, 2020, 05:58:46 PM »
Quite a few people in this country where almost all if not all of their diet is fast food, many of them will be in loot mode within a day or two of a quarantine .
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 06:28:28 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #334 on: March 03, 2020, 07:04:45 PM »
Quite a few people in this country where almost all if not all of their diet is fast food, many of them will be in loot mode within a day or two of a quarantine .

Quarantine may pointless already.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #335 on: March 03, 2020, 07:11:52 PM »
From what I read on FB, the local Costco stores in the Seattle area are out of toilet paper, paper towels, bottled water, disinfecting wipes, disinfecting chemicals and various canned foods. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #336 on: March 03, 2020, 07:16:57 PM »
I just don't get the toilet paper thing. This virus is respiratory not GI. Kleenexes I can understand, you will be hacking up a lung but TP, your aren't crapping yourself to death, it isn't a rotavirus.

bob

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #337 on: March 03, 2020, 08:04:38 PM »
I think it is more of a case of “If I am stuck in my house for a long time I don’t want to run out of TP!” followed by “There isn’t much TP left!  There must be a run on it and so I must buy all I can!” followed by “There is no good TP left, I will buy all the single ply junk that is left!”

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #338 on: March 03, 2020, 08:42:19 PM »
"Flushable Wipes" aren't. That is all.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #339 on: March 03, 2020, 09:30:21 PM »
North central Ohio Sam's Club report.

All of the rice is sold out save the smaller #10 bags.  It's just empty pallets where the normal bags were.
No Member's mark paper towels.
Very little TP of any kind.
Rubbing alcohol and hand sanitizer are picked over
Ibuprofen is just gone, along with all the cold preventer chewables.  Just empty shelves.

Not very busy this evening, but the folks that were there seem to be loading up on the above and bottled water.  Saw one dude with a cart full of spam and canned chicken.

GFS, OTOH, is untouched.  Had to stop there for bread flour, since our Sam's doesn't bother stocking it anymore.

We got a couple trays of chicken thighs and some sushi.  Sam's club pro tip,  if yours gets a sushi bar, do try it.  For the price,  it's really good (for the Midwest).  I grade on a curve for any sushi not within sight of the ocean.  Ours gets extra credit for having actual Asian people* making said sushi.

(Koreans,  know the family,  good people)
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #340 on: March 04, 2020, 06:46:18 AM »
I just don't get the toilet paper thing. This virus is respiratory not GI. Kleenexes I can understand, you will be hacking up a lung but TP, your aren't crapping yourself to death, it isn't a rotavirus.

bob

I'll let you in on the Prepper's Secret.  You can use TP to blow your nose.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #341 on: March 04, 2020, 07:27:25 AM »
I'll let you in on the Prepper's Secret.  You can use TP to blow your nose.

Shhhhh
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #342 on: March 04, 2020, 07:30:35 AM »
People want to stock up on toilet paper because we're civilized. We're past the age of corn cobs, and they don't print the Sears catalog anymore.

And, if you're a TRUE prepper, you know that come the apocalypse, toilet paper will be the new currency. A man with a hoard of Charmin Ultrasoft will be Jeff Bezos wealthy...

Which leads to this question... how are they wiping their asses in The Walking Dead now that we're nearly a decade on since the great zombie apocalypse?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #343 on: March 04, 2020, 07:32:32 AM »
"GFS"

What is GFS? Never heard of that store before.

"Koreans... sushi."

Silly man! Koreans don't make sushi, they make bulgogi!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #344 on: March 04, 2020, 07:46:44 AM »

bob

Because if you're restricted to your home for quarantine, you don't want to run out of *expletive deleted*it paper.

JD

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #345 on: March 04, 2020, 08:07:46 AM »
Interesting quote from the head of WHO:

"This virus is not SARS, it's not MERS, and it's not influenza; It is a unique virus with unique characteristics," he said. "With influenza, people who are infected but not yet sick are major drivers of transmission, which does not appear to be the case for COVID-19."

https://www.foxnews.com/health/who-says-coronavirus-death-rate-3-4-percent-olympics-delay-possibility

I had thought they said the big problem with COVID-19 was people with no symptoms spreading it? This guy is basically saying the opposite. I'm not trusting of WHO these days, but if verified, that seems to have major implications.

As I continue my academic study of hoarding, finally, the Idaho Home Depots, etc are out of respirators. Online prices are still inflated, and I heard on the news yesterday that Amazon kicked over 1 MILLION third party "coronavirus" sellers off their site for price gouging, selling at regular prices but adding $100 shipping, and for labeling stuff like dust masks as "coronavirus protection".

I'm going to Costco this morning, more out of curiosity than anything else. Though they have a hammock there that I kinda want so I can lay in my backyard with a glass of whiskey and watch the world burn in comfort.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #346 on: March 04, 2020, 08:27:29 AM »
If it hits a true 3.4%, that's a pretty big deal.  I doubt that number, because they're only running off known cases. This *expletive deleted*it has gone pandemic, and nobody is admitting it.  It's in outbreak status in dozens of countries and at this point beyond control.
Based on those numbers though, if 30% of the American populace gets it, 3 million will die.  At 70% infection, 7 and a half million deaths just in the US.
The us doesn't have the ICU facilities to handle the severe case load even at the much lower .9% number I've heard, because as many as 14% require hospitalization when infected.

The who is all over the place on this right now, which makes them even less trust worthy. 
At this point, as badly as this administration has handled this....it will spread rapidly across the US.  As the testing gets squared away, I expect the known cases to reach 5 figures this week.

JD

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #347 on: March 04, 2020, 08:42:32 AM »
I had a nyt article pulled up on my phone, but it's behind a paywall now.  *expletive deleted*ers.  Anyways, it had quotes which put this at .94% which is still nasty as *expletive deleted*ck.  A normal flu year is .1% apparently. 
JD

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #348 on: March 04, 2020, 08:49:30 AM »
If it hits a true 3.4%, that's a pretty big deal.  I doubt that number, because they're only running off known cases. This *expletive deleted*it has gone pandemic, and nobody is admitting it.  It's in outbreak status in dozens of countries and at this point beyond control.
Based on those numbers though, if 30% of the American populace gets it, 3 million will die.  At 70% infection, 7 and a half million deaths just in the US.
The us doesn't have the ICU facilities to handle the severe case load even at the much lower .9% number I've heard, because as many as 14% require hospitalization when infected.

The who is all over the place on this right now, which makes them even less trust worthy. 
At this point, as badly as this administration has handled this....it will spread rapidly across the US.  As the testing gets squared away, I expect the known cases to reach 5 figures this week.

I'm curious as to what you think could be done better?

Here, we've reached out to some friends in the healthcare industry and they are pretty much parroting the government line.

My friend who is a Doctor locally has shared some concerns that it could go sideways on us so that's concerning.

What is so obvious to you that we aren't doing?
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #349 on: March 04, 2020, 08:53:28 AM »
China is allegedly at 0.000056% infection currently and its worst province is Hubei at 0.0012%.  Why would US go to 30-70%?