Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 440153 times)

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #375 on: March 04, 2020, 03:58:25 PM »
Paper products and food are our biggest exports. TP may have short term shortages, but there's not going to be a TP apocalypse.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #376 on: March 04, 2020, 04:00:25 PM »
Paper products and food are our biggest exports. TP may have short term shortages, but there's not going to be a TP apocalypse.

The TP/Paper towel hoarding has me scratching my head, as to why?  It is kind of like milk, eggs, and bread in the lead up to a snow storm.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #377 on: March 04, 2020, 06:12:29 PM »
If it hits a true 3.4%, that's a pretty big deal.  I doubt that number, because they're only running off known cases.

The death rate numbers now are wrong, and almost certainly understated, for a mathematical reason. The reason is that the virus is still spreading. When spreading, it means each infected person infects more than one other person...by definition, otherwise it would be contained. For a hypothetical Budweiser virus with R=2, that means 10 cases today, 20 tomorrow, 40 the next, etc. Meanwhile it takes a couple weeks to die from it. So by the time the first 10 die, there are 100 people infected, and they say it has a 10% death rate, even if it's actually 100%. Because incubation periods and when the virus was contracted are never well known, there is no practical way to correct the statistics until the virus burns out. Which hasn't happened yet, except probably in some isolated populations in China. So you can regard all death rate estimates as BS, not because they are lying, but because it's impossible to know yet.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #378 on: March 04, 2020, 09:34:08 PM »
If it hits a true 3.4%, that's a pretty big deal.  I doubt that number, because they're only running off known cases. This *expletive deleted*it has gone pandemic, and nobody is admitting it.  It's in outbreak status in dozens of countries and at this point beyond control.
Based on those numbers though, if 30% of the American populace gets it, 3 million will die.  At 70% infection, 7 and a half million deaths just in the US.
The us doesn't have the ICU facilities to handle the severe case load even at the much lower .9% number I've heard, because as many as 14% require hospitalization when infected.

The who is all over the place on this right now, which makes them even less trust worthy. 
At this point, as badly as this administration has handled this....it will spread rapidly across the US.  As the testing gets squared away, I expect the known cases to reach 5 figures this week.

At least around here that's a fact.  Two years ago I had a burst appendix.  The hospital I normally go to told the ambulance to not take me there - they were swamped with flu patients.  Instead, they drove me to another hospital, only to find the same thing there - they were swamped with flu patients.  The 3rd hospital took me, only because the surgeon saw me in the ER & said "it's happening, now".  That was with the "normal" flu.

Our local grocery store was fully stocked yesterday.  Only thing they were out of was 2% milk.  Other than that the paper & canned goods were fully stocked.  Small rural TX town (pop. < 1,000).  I'll try to remember to check out the local Walmart shelves tomorrow.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #379 on: March 04, 2020, 10:03:05 PM »
I had to make another stop at the grocery store. Still well stocked and no indication of panic buying.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #380 on: March 04, 2020, 10:24:32 PM »
"GFS"

What is GFS? Never heard of that store before.

"Koreans... sushi."

Silly man! Koreans don't make sushi, they make bulgogi!

Mike,

Had to look it up.  GFS is Gordon Food Service.  https://www.gfs.com/en-us

On Sushi preparing Koreans,  I give you Mark Pi's China Gate.  The Chinese restaurant,  run by Koreans, that makes excellent Japanese food.  Ironically,  their actual Chinese stuff is pretty average.

https://mark-pis-china-gate.business.site/

And on Bulgogi,  I've never heard of the stuff but on searching it I want some.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #381 on: March 04, 2020, 10:45:20 PM »
Looked like GFYS to me thought it was a message to Mike
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #382 on: March 04, 2020, 11:04:20 PM »

>:D
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #383 on: March 05, 2020, 07:21:31 AM »

Yeah, well, Gordon Food Service to you, too, you jack wagon!  :rofl:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #384 on: March 05, 2020, 08:05:26 AM »
Interesting article about stockpiling in the face of Corona.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/04/coronavirus-where-shoppers-are-stockpiling-the-most.html
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #385 on: March 05, 2020, 08:50:37 AM »
Someone broke voluntary self-quarantine, went to a party, turned out to have the virus, and infected at least one other person. At this point they shouldn't be doing, "first name only to protect privacy". He deserves to be nationally ridiculed. He didn't go out for any valid. He went to a freaking party. And he works in the medical field for crying out loud.

https://www.foxnews.com/health/n-h-man-who-ignored-advice-to-stay-home-before-he-tested-positive-for-coronavirus-prompts-self-quarantine-questions
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #386 on: March 05, 2020, 09:12:40 AM »
Mike,

Had to look it up.  GFS is Gordon Food Service.  https://www.gfs.com/en-us

On Sushi preparing Koreans,  I give you Mark Pi's China Gate.  The Chinese restaurant,  run by Koreans, that makes excellent Japanese food.  Ironically,  their actual Chinese stuff is pretty average.

https://mark-pis-china-gate.business.site/

Had my first bulgogi in Tacoma, WA last fall from a tiny mom and pop place downtown.  It was excellent.  Much better than the traditional Chinese food we get in America.  I'm also a big fan of Bahn Mi sandwiches.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #387 on: March 05, 2020, 09:20:35 AM »

Trader Joes, if you have one, sells it, and it's actually really good for store bought.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #388 on: March 05, 2020, 09:40:33 AM »
Trader Joes, if you have one, sells it, and it's actually really good for store bought.

Frozen section?

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #389 on: March 05, 2020, 09:43:27 AM »
Someone broke voluntary self-quarantine, went to a party, turned out to have the virus, and infected at least one other person. At this point they shouldn't be doing, "first name only to protect privacy". He deserves to be nationally ridiculed. He didn't go out for any valid. He went to a freaking party. And he works in the medical field for crying out loud.

https://www.foxnews.com/health/n-h-man-who-ignored-advice-to-stay-home-before-he-tested-positive-for-coronavirus-prompts-self-quarantine-questions

Is this a criminal offense?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #390 on: March 05, 2020, 09:49:36 AM »
I've never been one much for Korean food in general, I just don't like the way they use the common Asian spice palette.

Except for bulgogi. I can destroy a plate of bulgogi.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #391 on: March 05, 2020, 09:50:32 AM »

I don't see how it could be. The test results weren't back yet and the "quarantine" was voluntary.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #392 on: March 05, 2020, 09:56:26 AM »

What a selfish prick.

All because his fun was too important to postpone, he has now infected at least one other person (I'm sure that number will climb) and forced the venue to cancel 3 events, costing them how much $$?

I hope the venue can sue him.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #393 on: March 05, 2020, 09:57:37 AM »
Frozen section?

No, actually where the fresh packaged meat is.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #394 on: March 05, 2020, 09:59:42 AM »
I don't see how it could be. The test results weren't back yet and the "quarantine" was voluntary.

Yeah, I think it falls more into Mak's "selfish prick" territory. Seems like the bigger unintended consequences would end up being whether you let people self-isolate in the comfort of their own home or not. It only takes one ahole to screw stuff up.

I could see civil action being appropriate, depending on background circumstances.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #395 on: March 05, 2020, 10:05:22 AM »
Well, ten year treasury bills are now below 1%.

I guess the good news if you're a home buyer or refinacer, is that you can get conventional loans for under 3%.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #396 on: March 05, 2020, 10:20:03 AM »

Article on Fox quoted someone in NH saying it is not a crime to ignore a doctor's recommendation.  It may be a misdemeanor if he ignores the NH health department's orders.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #397 on: March 05, 2020, 10:22:45 AM »
Well, ten year treasury bills are now below 1%.

I guess the good news if you're a home buyer or refinacer, is that you can get conventional loans for under 3%.

Yep.  My last mortgage broker just contacted me.  He offered 2.875% for a 15yr fixed and no closing costs.  I'm currently at 3.5% with 16 years to go. 

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #398 on: March 05, 2020, 10:55:14 AM »
I think the optics might be a bit different if they guy went to event despite being told not to, infected someone, and that person subsequently died. Could bring charges.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #399 on: March 05, 2020, 11:14:46 AM »
Kind of an experiment I put some items in my Amazon shopping chart I know come from China (rechargeable batteries, flash drives etc..) and have notice almost every time I check my chart prices are bouncing around like crazy, sometimes doubling and then back again, and availability goes from ships tomorrow to two months to not available back to tomorrow back to not available and so on and so on.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes