Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 440469 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #400 on: March 05, 2020, 11:19:59 AM »
Kind of an experiment I put some items in my Amazon shopping chart I know come from China (rechargeable batteries, flash drives etc..) and have notice almost every time I check my chart prices are bouncing around like crazy, sometimes doubling and then back again, and availability goes from ships tomorrow to two months to not available back to tomorrow back to not available and so on and so on.

As China gets their *expletive deleted*it together, they should put the full weight of their workforce behind providing the rest of the world with pandemic supplies.  PROFIT!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #401 on: March 05, 2020, 11:41:43 AM »
I spelled cart chart both times in that. OMG I'm turning into Joe Biden!  :old:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #402 on: March 05, 2020, 11:47:06 AM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #403 on: March 05, 2020, 05:20:20 PM »
Now a run on vodka

Your local store sold out of hand sanitizer? Make some from vodka. (Kudos to the genius at @goodhousemag who came up with this.) #coronavirusnewyork https://t.co/9I1NXmmvtM

— ALLISON ADATO (@editgirlnyc) March 4, 2020
https://twitchy.com/brads-313037/2020/03/05/the-coronavirus-hysteria-has-reached-a-new-level-titos-vodka-is-reduced-to-public-service-health-announcements/

https://twitter.com/editgirlnyc/status/1235314582018756611?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
- Calvin and Hobbes

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #404 on: March 05, 2020, 05:28:19 PM »
Unless it's more like Everclear it won't do much good.  The diy hand sanitizer needs to be 60%+ alcohol to work.  Anything much under 95% alcohol, once mixed with aloe gel, won't be strong enough.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #405 on: March 05, 2020, 05:37:19 PM »
Unless it's more like Everclear it won't do much good.  The diy hand sanitizer needs to be 60%+ alcohol to work.  Anything much under 95% alcohol, once mixed with aloe gel, won't be strong enough.

Two thumbs up.  I tell people to mix 2/3 cup of 99% isopropyl alcohol (the cheap option) or 2/3 cup Everclear (the expensive option), along with 1/3 cup plain aloe vera gel.  Add a few drops of your favorite essential oil or extract if you want it to smell good.  Proper handwashing technique is still the first line of defense, but I certainly use the sanitizer at work between handwashings.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #406 on: March 05, 2020, 05:39:27 PM »
Unless it's more like Everclear it won't do much good.  The diy hand sanitizer needs to be 60%+ alcohol to work.  Anything much under 95% alcohol, once mixed with aloe gel, won't be strong enough.

People were pointing that out in many comments I saw
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #407 on: March 05, 2020, 05:41:06 PM »
I prefer rum anyway   :laugh:
- Calvin and Hobbes

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #408 on: March 05, 2020, 07:42:34 PM »
I mix bourbon with sweet vermouth and a few drops of bitters.  It makes a nuclear sanitizer.  I call it the Manhattan Project.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #409 on: March 06, 2020, 08:47:11 AM »
SK seems to be on the ball with their testing.  Considering the number of tests they've done, and the number of cases they have, I think they've slowed the spread there.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #410 on: March 06, 2020, 09:03:30 AM »
I saw Trump is signing an $8.something billion dollar response bill. Couldn't tell if that's basically the Dem plan or if his admin threw more money into their original $2 billion plan.

Also, the ten year treasury is now at ~0.7%.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #411 on: March 06, 2020, 09:09:30 AM »
SK seems to be on the ball with their testing.  Considering the number of tests they've done, and the number of cases they have, I think they've slowed the spread there.
Slowed, but it is still going up significantly.  They went from 16-20% daily increases to ~8% daily increases which is still a bunch.

Their death rate is interesting as well.  Italy hit 1k detected infections on 2/29 while South Korea hit 1k detected infections on 2/26 so roughly comparable but if anything I'd expect South Korea's progression to be further along.  Yet South Korea's death rate is only 0.6% as opposed to Italy's 3.8%.  Last numbers I could find, South Korea has done about three times that Italy has done.  I wonder if their increased testing is picking up a greater percentage of the actual cases and showing a more realistic death rate.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #412 on: March 06, 2020, 09:20:28 AM »
"Couldn't tell if that's basically the Dem plan or if his admin threw more money into their original $2 billion plan."

I think it was a bipartisan response in Congress after the uproar over $2 billion not being enough of a response.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #413 on: March 06, 2020, 09:24:06 AM »
https://www.cnet.com/news/amazon-employee-at-seattle-headquarters-tests-positive-for-coronavirus/
Amazon employee at Seattle headquarters tests positive for coronavirus

I got a new book in the mail Wed and thought about that just after opening the box (including cutting the air pocket stuffing).  Of course, this guy wasn't in one of their warehouses.

This headline was right below that one.  Do you think it will cause a panic?  I have been staying off Facebook anyway.   =)
Facebook contractor in Seattle tests positive for the coronavirus
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #414 on: March 06, 2020, 09:28:25 AM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #415 on: March 06, 2020, 09:37:09 AM »
2 billion wasn’t enough graft for them, of course.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #416 on: March 06, 2020, 09:39:24 AM »
Slowed, but it is still going up significantly.  They went from 16-20% daily increases to ~8% daily increases which is still a bunch.

Their death rate is interesting as well.  Italy hit 1k detected infections on 2/29 while South Korea hit 1k detected infections on 2/26 so roughly comparable but if anything I'd expect South Korea's progression to be further along.  Yet South Korea's death rate is only 0.6% as opposed to Italy's 3.8%.  Last numbers I could find, South Korea has done about three times that Italy has done.  I wonder if their increased testing is picking up a greater percentage of the actual cases and showing a more realistic death rate.

Both should be concerning, as the seasonal flu is .1% tops.  
SK has also had a much lower hospitalization rate than Italy.  Italy is in double digit territory for ICU treatment.  SK is not.
JD

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #417 on: March 06, 2020, 10:13:34 AM »
As a nurse, I’m very concerned that not enough is being done to stop the spread of the coronavirus. I know because I am currently sick and in quarantine after caring for a patient who tested positive. I’m awaiting “permission” from the federal government to allow for my testing, even after my physician and county health professional ordered it.
When employee health told me that my fever and other symptoms fit the criteria for potential coronavirus, I was put on a 14-day self-quarantine. Since the criteria was met, the testing would be done. My doctor ordered the test through the county. The public county officer called me and verified my symptoms and agreed with testing. But the National CDC would not initiate testing. They said they would not test me because if I were wearing the recommended protective equipment, then I wouldn’t have the coronavirus.

This testing situation is pathetic.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #418 on: March 06, 2020, 10:38:41 AM »

^this. It's also worse than I expected from our bureaucracy.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #419 on: March 06, 2020, 10:43:11 AM »
I thought I heard testing was available locally now at least in most places.  Just sounds odd.  I would be curious to see more info on that case.

On the news about the case near Houston, they said they did the test locally and were waiting to verify it with a follow up test at the CDC.  I don't know what is going on in California though.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 10:58:08 AM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #420 on: March 06, 2020, 10:44:16 AM »
Both should be concerning, as the seasonal flu is .1% tops.  
Of course, but even with increased testing I wouldn't expect South Korea to catch them all.  If it ends up being 0.6% overall it will be very high, but increased testing or the final retrospective estimate are likely to keep pushing that number down.

SK has also had a much lower hospitalization rate than Italy.  Italy is in double digit territory for ICU treatment.  SK is not.
That plays nicely with the idea that Italy a has much higher infected population than they know about but is only detecting the serious or obvious cases and South Korea's increased testing is picking up more of the mild and marginal cases that would otherwise have gone ignored.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #421 on: March 06, 2020, 11:49:36 AM »
I thought I heard testing was available locally now at least in most places.  Just sounds odd.  I would be curious to see more info on that case.
As of Wednesday some of the testing restrictions in place by the CDC were removed and most places are getting test kits just this week.

Federal officials said nearly 1 million tests were expected to be available by the end of this week. But in California, one of the country’s hardest-hit regions with 60 cases, the total testing capacity is limited to only 7,400 through the weekend, according to the California Department of Public Health.

Though the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Wednesday lifted some guidelines so anyone with symptoms can be tested by their physician, local officials can’t take advantage of the looser restrictions because of the lack of test kits. In an advisory to physicians later that day, L.A. public health officials said that they would only be testing people with severe symptoms or with milder illness and a travel history to impacted areas.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #422 on: March 06, 2020, 12:12:08 PM »
Indiana is reporting a case now

Holcomb said at a news conference Friday that a man from Marion County had been diagnosed after a recent trip to Boston.

That man is in isolation, Holcomb said, adding that a total of 12 Indiana residents have been tested for the virus, and 35 others are being monitored. They are currently under quarantine. but none of them is sick.
https://www.wave3.com/2020/03/06/coronavirus-first-case-reported-indiana-gov-holcomb-declares-public-health-emergency/
- Calvin and Hobbes

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #423 on: March 06, 2020, 12:22:10 PM »

On the news about the case near Houston, they said they did the test locally and were waiting to verify it with a follow up test at the CDC.  I don't know what is going on in California though.

The propaganda was that testing was available if a Dr ordered it.   Not enough kits and not enough testing capacity, they are way far behind.  Another misstep with the response. At least the President is spreading false information about it.  I wish he'd shut his trap and let Pence do all the talking.
Anyways...
Look at the deaths in WA.  We know that the nursing home was at the receiving end of community spread.  2 residents of the nursing home died from it BEFORE community spread was even confirmed.  Estimates are on the low side of 600 infections in Washington state alone at this point. 
JD

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #424 on: March 06, 2020, 12:33:11 PM »
Two thumbs up.  I tell people to mix 2/3 cup of 99% isopropyl alcohol (the cheap option) or 2/3 cup Everclear (the expensive option), along with 1/3 cup plain aloe vera gel.  Add a few drops of your favorite essential oil or extract if you want it to smell good.  Proper handwashing technique is still the first line of defense, but I certainly use the sanitizer at work between handwashings.

Question on the composition of sanitizer:

I've carried a bottle of hand sanitizer in my car for a couple of years or more. After a few months, the stuff loses its viscosity -- no longer dispenses like a gel, it comes out as a runny liquid. A lot like alcohol, in fact, and it smells like alcohol. Is it still viable hand sanitizer after it has lost it's gel-ness, or do I need to replace it?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design