Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 440084 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #450 on: March 07, 2020, 10:29:08 AM »
And the scary part is many dems almost seem to be giddy over the prospect hoping it will bring Trump down. 2008 redux.

And right after I type that

‘She’s actually smiling’: MSNBC’s Nicolle Wallace and guest discuss coronavirus that could become ‘Trump’s Katrina’
https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2020/03/07/shes-actually-smiling-msnbcs-nicolle-wallace-and-guest-discuss-coronavirus-that-could-become-trumps-katrina/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #451 on: March 07, 2020, 10:56:39 AM »
And the scary part is many dems almost seem to be giddy over the prospect hoping it will bring Trump down. 2008 redux.

This is exactly the reason the MSM is pushing the "We're all gonna die!" hysteria.  It's to bring down Trump, and they might just succeed given how a majority of voters vote their pocketbooks.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #452 on: March 07, 2020, 11:21:15 AM »
Vote with pocketbooks?  I anticipate making money on the Corona Virus  I bought some more volatile mutual funds with cash I had available after the first big drop.  I might do some more if it has another several thousand point drop.  All I have to do is sit on those for the 8-12 months it takes economies to start moving again.

I'm also considering refinancing the house.  It looks like I could knock 7-8 years off the payoff date and keep the same monthly payment I make now.  That alone will save me $40k-ish.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #453 on: March 07, 2020, 12:01:42 PM »
Two thumbs up.  I tell people to mix 2/3 cup of 99% isopropyl alcohol (the cheap option) or 2/3 cup Everclear (the expensive option), along with 1/3 cup plain aloe vera gel.  Add a few drops of your favorite essential oil or extract if you want it to smell good.  Proper handwashing technique is still the first line of defense, but I certainly use the sanitizer at work between handwashings.

Where do you find 99% isopropyl alcohol? I just looked in the medicine cabinet and found that I have some that's 91%, but also some that's 70%. The latter was probably bought before I knew there were different grades or percentages offered.

Is the 70% effective against anything, or should I throw it away? (Or use it as a cleaning agent in the shop?)
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #454 on: March 07, 2020, 12:13:18 PM »
Where do you find 99% isopropyl alcohol? I just looked in the medicine cabinet and found that I have some that's 91%, but also some that's 70%. The latter was probably bought before I knew there were different grades or percentages offered.

Is the 70% effective against anything, or should I throw it away? (Or use it as a cleaning agent in the shop?)

https://www.amazon.com/Isopropyl-Alcohol-Grade-Anhydrous-gallon/dp/B01MEGQ9Q0/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?keywords=99+percent+isopropyl+alcohol+5+gallon&qid=1583601158&sr=8-2

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #456 on: March 07, 2020, 01:08:25 PM »
:facepalm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBiz7sQvzWI

Londo Mollari (Babylon 5): You have that vacant look in your eyes that says, "Hold my head to your ear; you will hear the sea."
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

zahc

• friend
« Reply #457 on: March 07, 2020, 01:23:24 PM »

70% is superior for medical purposes to 90%. It disinfects better. There's no reason to prefer higher concentrations unless you have an industrial use that requires it. Of course you can water down pure IPA as well but on a cost basis you can probably buy more 70% per dollar anyway.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #458 on: March 07, 2020, 01:33:03 PM »
They are probably gone by now, but Mal-Wart usually has 91% IPA for $2.50 a pint. It works great for backpacking stoves, should work fine for making hand sanitizer.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #459 on: March 07, 2020, 01:37:09 PM »
https://www.yahoo.com/news/hotel-collapse-traps-70-eastern-china-154017056.html

Around 70 people were trapped after the collapse of a hotel used as a coronavirus quarantine facility in eastern China on Saturday evening, officials said.

At least 38 people have so far been rescued from the rubble of the 80-room Xinjia hotel in coastal Quanzhou city, said the local government.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #460 on: March 07, 2020, 01:51:35 PM »
They are probably gone by now, but Mal-Wart usually has 91% IPA for $2.50 a pint. It works great for backpacking stoves, should work fine for making hand sanitizer.

You'd need to cut the aloe gel back a little (like from 33% to 30%) to make sure you're above 60% alcohol.

WLJ

• friends
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 02:40:03 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #462 on: March 07, 2020, 03:26:57 PM »

I find it now and again at the drug store, Target, etc.  It costs a bit more than the lower concentrations, but not a lot more IIRC.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #463 on: March 07, 2020, 03:48:45 PM »
A little something from FB World

Facebook says it will ban ads for medical face masks
https://www.wave3.com/2020/03/07/facebook-says-it-will-ban-ads-medical-face-masks/
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #464 on: March 07, 2020, 04:36:24 PM »
I'm still waiting for someone to blame corona virus on global warming climate change.  Has it happened already and I just missed it, or have the climate alarmists dropped the ball on this one?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #465 on: March 07, 2020, 04:56:33 PM »
According to the map on NBC News' web site (updated to 10:xx today) my state still has no confirmed cases. Nonetheless, I was at Walmart today. I'm pretty well set in the sanitizer department but I looked out of curiosity. (And, yes, if they had had any I would have bought one.) I didn't see any, so I asked a young lady who was stocking shelves. She didn't speak English, so I asked in Spanish. The answer: "No hay." (pronounced "no aye.")

For those who don't speak Spanish, "No hay" means "fuggetabowdit! Not today, not tomorrow, and probably not next week."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #466 on: March 07, 2020, 06:25:36 PM »
My wife was at the Walmart in the tiny town she works in and it was out of hand sanitizer also. She is going to a different Walmart when she gets done with the girls game tonight so I asked her to check the tp for my bungholio. Will report later.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #467 on: March 07, 2020, 06:37:25 PM »
My wife was at the Walmart in the tiny town she works in and it was out of hand sanitizer also. She is going to a different Walmart when she gets done with the girls game tonight so I asked her to check the tp for my bungholio. Will report later.

My wife reports that Job Lots, a local discount store, was fully stocked on sanitizer and wipes.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #468 on: March 07, 2020, 07:57:56 PM »
My dad hit our Sam's today.

TP, Paper towels and such are restocked,  still no big bags of jasmine rice.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #469 on: March 07, 2020, 09:48:32 PM »
Not sure if this should go here or in the .40 caliber thread veer in the "harbinger" topic.  :laugh:

Ammo.com reports a big sales increase that they are attributing to beer virus panic. What I found interesting, given that .40 is out of favor now, is that their .40 sales are up over 400% - just over twice as much as the next most popular caliber, .223.  I was quite surprised that 9mm wasn't at the top.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/ammunition-sales-soar-response-coronavirus-133400231.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #470 on: March 07, 2020, 09:58:46 PM »
Report from the wife was tp and paper towels ok but wipes and ha d sanitizer was low or gone.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #471 on: March 08, 2020, 12:26:20 AM »
Ammo.com reports a big sales increase that they are attributing to beer virus panic. What I found interesting, given that .40 is out of favor now, is that their .40 sales are up over 400% - just over twice as much as the next most popular caliber, .223.  I was quite surprised that 9mm wasn't at the top.

... because COVID-19 is too tough to be stopped by 9mm.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #472 on: March 08, 2020, 02:30:14 PM »
Costco was full up with paper towels and TP, limit 2
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #473 on: March 08, 2020, 02:45:56 PM »
Asked the clerk in the liquor section if they were selling more vodka than normal.
She said way more.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #474 on: March 08, 2020, 08:44:20 PM »
    Sen. Ted Cruz will self-quarantine in Texas after interacting with an individual at CPAC who tested positive for coronavirus

Cruz said in a statement he is “not experiencing any symptoms” but “out of an abundance of caution” he stay in Texas for 14 days after the interaction

— Dianne Gallagher (@DianneG) March 8, 2020
https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2020/03/08/breaking-ted-cruz-announces-he-will-self-quarantine-after-exposure-to-coronavirus-at-cpac/
- Calvin and Hobbes