Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 440477 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #500 on: March 10, 2020, 12:01:18 AM »
Great. Episcopalians (AFAIK) still do the full communion every week, complete with wine and wafers. I wonder how many infected wafers the good reverend has given out in the past two or three weeks.

You win this round, tiny plastic cups.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #501 on: March 10, 2020, 07:25:15 AM »
Sounds like the perfect job for Solo...

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #502 on: March 10, 2020, 07:38:55 AM »
After a couple of very local cases hit the news I hit the grocery store last night, mostly so my wife wouldn't have to go out with the kids as much.  I intentionally went to the next town over in hope of additional selection and spent more than I should have.

Stock report:
Plenty of food and paper goods.  
Cleaning supplies - especially disinfecting wipes and sprays - were absolutely gone.  As in a giant, empty space where they used to be, void of anything except shelf labels and a sign saying that purchases were limited to 5 per person.
Bleach was available in large quantities.
Rubbing alcohol was gone.  We've got drums of isopropyl at work, and if it ever comes to it I'll ask the boss if I can buy a few quarts.
Hand sanitizer was gone.
Hand soap was available.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #503 on: March 10, 2020, 08:22:01 AM »

Hand sanitizer was gone.
Hand soap was available.

At this point, this has to be some people's mistaken belief that "sanitizer" is better than soap, and not just all purchases of sanitizer to use while away from soap and water. People are stocking up on ten years worth of TP, but leaving hand soap sitting on the shelves.

I have to hit my little grocery store today. I'll check stock and see if panic mode has made it out here yet.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #504 on: March 10, 2020, 08:25:00 AM »
Sanitizer is easier to use incidentally than soap and water is my guess.

You can gop on sanitizer without having to lather, rinse, repeat, dry...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #505 on: March 10, 2020, 08:44:51 AM »
Sanitizer is easier to use incidentally than soap and water is my guess.

You can gop on sanitizer without having to lather, rinse, repeat, dry...

I agree, and am sure people are buying it to keep at their desks at work, etc. I just think if people are really concerned, they would use soap and water where available. I have a suspicion some people are buying it to keep in their homes as well, and when they get back from the Walmart, using the sanitizer, which they keep right next to the hand soap in the bathroom.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #506 on: March 10, 2020, 08:51:02 AM »
Now we're diverting planes if someone sneezes.

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2020/03/10/people-are-losing-their-damn-minds-united-flight-diverted-after-passengers-complain-of-coughing-passenger/

I feel sorry for the airlines. How do you handles something like that? First thought might be to give the sneezer a respirator to wear, but it would likely cause some other nitwits to complain about that.

I don't think I've ever flown commercial without sneezing, just because of the dry, recirculated air in the plane, or somebody's perfume.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #508 on: March 10, 2020, 08:56:13 AM »
Italy has implemented limited movement in the whole country.  Not that it would happen here, but we are about 10 days behind Italy in detected cases.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #509 on: March 10, 2020, 09:26:35 AM »
"I agree, and am sure people are buying it to keep at their desks at work, etc."

When I started in my current job I noticed a LOT of people have hand sanitizer on their desks (this was August last year).

I opened the overhead storage bin in my cube and found... a half-full 12-ounce bottle of Purell.

A few weeks ago I went to the main supply room to pick some stuff up and there was a shelf with about 40 12-ounce bottles of Purell.

I should swing by to see how many are left, or if people have cleaned them out.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #510 on: March 10, 2020, 09:51:15 AM »
So I got this in a text.  Any thoughts? 

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-factcheck-election-year-diseases/partly-false-claim-every-election-year-has-a-disease-idUSKBN20S2X0
Reuters had this article listing the date information for each disease.  Sounds like it doesn't all match up.  However, we do seem to have a new one pop up every few years. 

Also, ebola has been around a while and I thought most of the hysteria in that year was because the Obama Admin brought disease carrying people back to the US to a hospital in the middle of a major city.  Not sure what they were trying to do with that. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #511 on: March 10, 2020, 10:45:58 AM »
Wot?

That's not right! The left's hype is telling me that Kung Flu has a contagion rate higher than can be counted and that we're all already dead! And it's all Orange Man's Fault! Every bit of it!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #512 on: March 10, 2020, 10:53:49 AM »
Wot?

That's not right! The left's hype is telling me that Kung Flu has a contagion rate higher than can be counted and that we're all already dead! And it's all Orange Man's Fault! Every bit of it!

I can't recall whether there was or wasn't political baggage with the previous outbreaks, but there is no doubt we have it here, and from what I can see, most is coming from the "party of science" left, with the apocalypse stuff. Plus of course, the relatively new "virus related" diversity and racism symptoms.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #513 on: March 10, 2020, 10:56:36 AM »
"Plus of course, the relatively new "virus related" diversity and racism symptoms."

I'm fully expecting someone to claim that anyone who is not Chinese and who develops the virus to be practicing aggressive acts of cultural appropriation.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #514 on: March 10, 2020, 11:05:35 AM »
I don't think China is welding doors shut* to keep people in their apartment buildings or Japan closed all their schools or South Korea is logging everyone's temperature if they leave the house or Italy is locking down the whole country because it's an election year in the US.

Things aren't bad here (yet) and the media is making a lot of useless noise, but there is genuinely significant & important news behind it.
The restrictions other counties have needed to slow the spread have been pretty extreme, if anything close to those are needed here it will be something we have not experienced in decades and something most people are probably unprepared for.

*These reports are unverified
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #515 on: March 10, 2020, 12:21:48 PM »
Be interesting to see if this effects NCAA tournament attendance or if they, do I dare say, cancel especially if some team members come down with it.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #517 on: March 10, 2020, 12:56:44 PM »
Prisons and jails could be rather telling examples of just how bad this virus really is.

Bullitt County jail placed on lockdown after several inmates become ill
https://www.wdrb.com/news/bullitt-county-jail-placed-on-lockdown-after-several-inmates-become/article_9460c11e-62dc-11ea-a9ab-df07ebb41297.html
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #518 on: March 10, 2020, 01:11:16 PM »
And some more "local" news

Berea College cancels semester and asks all students to move out in response to COVID-19 outbreak
https://www.wdrb.com/news/berea-college-cancels-semester-and-asks-all-students-to-move/article_18ca2ae8-62ed-11ea-ba3e-632524706207.html
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #519 on: March 10, 2020, 01:20:51 PM »
AOC will answer all your C19 question

Warning: I had several brain cells die reading what comments there are so far.

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1237417443699589128?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #520 on: March 10, 2020, 01:31:34 PM »
Harvard has told its students to vacate the premises (https://boston.cbslocal.com/2020/03/10/coronavirus-harvard-classes-online-spring-break/).

Not sure how I feel about that one... let's take potentially infected students and disburse them world wide...

And, Walmart is instituting a new emergency leave policy after Kentucky employee's positive test. (https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/10/walmart-deploys-new-emergency-leave-policy-kentucky-associate-has-coronavirus.html)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #521 on: March 10, 2020, 01:43:20 PM »

[tinfoil] [tinfoil]
Not sure how I feel about that one... let's take potentially infected students and disburse them world wide...
[tinfoil] [tinfoil]

This is a feature, not a bug.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #522 on: March 10, 2020, 05:42:15 PM »
New York just locked down New Rochelle and is sending the Nat'l Guard in.

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #523 on: March 10, 2020, 05:46:49 PM »
So I got this in a text.  Any thoughts? 

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-factcheck-election-year-diseases/partly-false-claim-every-election-year-has-a-disease-idUSKBN20S2X0
Reuters had this article listing the date information for each disease.  Sounds like it doesn't all match up.  However, we do seem to have a new one pop up every few years. 

Also, ebola has been around a while and I thought most of the hysteria in that year was because the Obama Admin brought disease carrying people back to the US to a hospital in the middle of a major city.  Not sure what they were trying to do with that. 

Facebook bullshit. 
99.7% under 50?  Okay, fine.  That's a .3% mortality rate under fifty.  The flu has an overall mortality rate of only .1%.
COVID-19, and you're over 50?  Those numbers go up fast.

China didn't shut down their economy over SARS, which originated there.  Why this one? 
Because it's *expletive deleted*ing nasty.

Posted by: Nick1911
Insert Quote
Italy has implemented limited movement in the whole country.  Not that it would happen here, but we are about 10 days behind Italy in detected cases.

Yup.  And look at the exponential growth of cases there.  I bet we're 5x their case load come 2 weeks.  40-50k in two weeks, and 70k+ by the end of March.  I bet our total cases exceeds china by 1.5-2x when this is done. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #524 on: March 10, 2020, 06:15:13 PM »
Harvard has told its students to vacate the premises (https://boston.cbslocal.com/2020/03/10/coronavirus-harvard-classes-online-spring-break/).

It's coming up on Spring break -- the students were going to disperse anyway. Harvard is just telling them not to come back after break. The rest of the semester will be conducted on-line.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design