Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 440082 times)

brimic

• friends
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #650 on: March 12, 2020, 10:23:54 AM »
Of note, I tried the "keep 6 feet away from others" in the store the other day. It's really hard to do when no one else practices it.

Just do a lot of coughing....
Modern problems, meet modern solutions.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #651 on: March 12, 2020, 10:26:15 AM »

.....SOOOOOO people were just told there's a (somewhat) scary disease that necessitate social distancing...

And they all packed into a store with hundreds of strangers who have been who knows where.

Good job, herd.

People don't plan ahead.  That whole 3 days of food in the house thing is real for most people.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

brimic

• friends
« Reply #652 on: March 12, 2020, 10:26:39 AM »
Not shocked. 

It was only a matter of time. That's going to spread faster than corona.

The time to prep was 3 weeks years ago.

Barack Obama

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #653 on: March 12, 2020, 10:27:20 AM »
Just do a lot of coughing....
Modern problems, meet modern solutions.

*cough*  *cough* *cough*   [muttering under breath] I haven't felt right since I returned from China.

bob

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #654 on: March 12, 2020, 10:30:24 AM »
The time to prep was 3 weeks years ago.
Months would have worked just fine if you jumped on it. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #655 on: March 12, 2020, 10:31:05 AM »
Over 12000 infected in Italy and 800 dead. Also, first confirmed death in Sweden now. Also, all public gatherings of more than 500 people are now prohibited here in Sweden.

If gatherings like this are prohibited, then the act of drafting and approving legislation also needs to be prohibited.

I'm concerned over lawmakers here in the US getting uppity and drafting something that affects critical rights at a time when protesting will get people thrown in prison for violating State of Emergency orders.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #656 on: March 12, 2020, 10:33:02 AM »
With just a little planning, you can order your groceries online and have them loaded into your car and never have to interact with anyone in person.

Use the available technology, people! (And, no, I'm not talking to the people on this forum who I'm sure have already taken precautions.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #657 on: March 12, 2020, 10:38:17 AM »
Friend of ours just tried to get into the Manassas costco. She said it looks like Black Friday.  Parking lot completely full, police directing traffic, and a long line just to get in the store.

I am REALLY glad that I started replenishing supplies a couple of weeks ago. I just had a funny feeling that this one was going to get interesting. I should have laid in a few more things, but I have enough to get me through at least 2 weeks in style, and 2 more weeks after that if I I'm inventive.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #658 on: March 12, 2020, 10:41:14 AM »
With just a little planning, you can order your groceries online and have them loaded into your car and never have to interact with anyone in person.

We started doing this about a month ago, not for social distancing but just for the convenience.
At our Kroger owned grocery store it's a $5 service which is worth it for us at the moment.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #659 on: March 12, 2020, 10:42:14 AM »
Made a run to the local grocery store this morning for a few odds and ends. Nothing out of the ordinary to mention and no indications of any panic buying. I did pick up another extra big package of TP but other than that I'm good for a couple of weeks.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #660 on: March 12, 2020, 10:51:16 AM »
Reports that the President will likely sign a disaster declaration today or soon thereafter.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #661 on: March 12, 2020, 10:53:42 AM »
Reports that the President will likely sign a disaster declaration today or soon thereafter.

It's about the only thing he can do to stay ahead of this thing politically and salvage any chance he has for reelection come November.
The MSM and Democrat party (is that redundant?) will continue to pound the narrative that the CV is all Trump's fault.  Couple that with how the economy will contract significantly over the next several months, and Trump has an major uphill battle ahead of him to remain in the White House.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #662 on: March 12, 2020, 10:58:30 AM »
It's about the only thing he can do to stay ahead of this thing politically and salvage any chance he has for reelection come November.

This whole virus thing will blow over in a couple of weeks. The number of new infections is dropping dramatically in Asia.

When things start to finally right themselves mid to late spring the markets are going to go a helling back up and most of the sheep who are screaming right now about Orangemanvirus!  are going to be forgotten/ignored.

The American voter tends to have a better memory than a gold fish.

But not much better.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #663 on: March 12, 2020, 10:59:44 AM »
This whole virus thing will blow over in a couple of weeks. The number of new infections is dropping dramatically in Asia.

When things start to finally right themselves mid to late spring the markets are going to go a helling back up and most of the sheep who are screaming right now about Orangemanvirus!  are going to be forgotten/ignored.

But not much better.

It took them 2 months and a total lockdown to get there....

The democrats will use this as a rally cry for universal medicare, though. 
JD

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #664 on: March 12, 2020, 11:02:02 AM »

But not much better.

From your mouth keyboard to God's ears.  However, I am not as sanguine about it.  I think we're in for a prolonged negative economic impact from all this CV foolishness tanking the market.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #665 on: March 12, 2020, 11:06:15 AM »
I am also not optimistic for a particularly quick economic recovery.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #666 on: March 12, 2020, 11:07:27 AM »
From your mouth keyboard to God's ears.  However, I am not as sanguine about it.  I think we're in for a prolonged negative economic impact from all this CV foolishness tanking the market.

I'm actually thinking (sympathy for those who contract it aside) that this is actually pretty good timing for it politically for Trump. AFAIK, most viruses reduce dramatically in the Summer, and as it fades from the news cycle, the bigger the drop in stocks now, the greater the rise in Summer/Fall. That (almost natural) rebound will only help Trump's PR.

Though it will be close with the stock market. 2nd quarter results might not look great. Third quarter should look much better, but it's cutting it close to the election.

Come this Fall, people will be thinking about the beer virus as much as they're currently thinking about the trouble in Hong Kong.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #667 on: March 12, 2020, 11:17:18 AM »
I never said that this is going to turn around in 3.7 seconds of Corona being declared vanquished and everything will be sunshine, lollipops, and rainbows.

Of course there are going to be long-term, slow to heal repercussions from this.

But this mess is fundamentally different from the origins of the Great Recession, and the recovery from it is going to be dramatically different, too.

Right now the genesis for most market selling is to get money into more secure commodities, such as gold. That's why the price has risen significantly over the last quarter.

Another driver in this mess right now is the burgeoning oil war kicking off between Russia and Saudia Arabia. That's adding a huge amount of market instability. That's not going to last forever, either. That one I suspect will have longer legs, but what it will do make more money available for the average person because the price of gasoline and products moved with oil-based fuel is likely going to start dropping.

Unless Corona turns into Spanish Flu and becomes a LOT more deadly than it is, we're going to be into a very nice recovery cycle leading right upto the 2020 election.

Could I be wrong about this? Of course I could be. But until I see a lot more bad in what's happening right now, I'm not going to be going full Howler Monkey of Doom any time soon.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #668 on: March 12, 2020, 11:17:57 AM »
I guess we'll see, but I'm pretty convinced it's going to be 2-3 months of rough going in the US followed by a full blown recession cycle. 
JD

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #669 on: March 12, 2020, 11:19:02 AM »
"Come this Fall, people will be thinking about the beer virus as much as they're currently thinking about the trouble in Hong Kong."

Or Venezuela.

Unless, of course, the media decides to rediaper that baby for it's front pages. 6 months ago Venezuela was all over the news. Now nothing.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #670 on: March 12, 2020, 11:19:36 AM »
I am also not optimistic for a particularly quick economic recovery.

In my non-expert opinion, the CV triggered an overdue correction in the market.  However, the "correction" has now fallen into true bear market territory, and this bear market will last quite a while.  If the economy follows the market, as it often does, I'm guessing we will see at least 7.5% unemployment come election time.  If that happens, Trump will be a one term president.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #671 on: March 12, 2020, 11:19:40 AM »
I think we have a long ways to go yet down... but once the virus runs its course, which will take months, the markets will rocket upward.
We are a long ways away from that. 24/7 news cycle is going to be putting out a lot of bad news.

Barack Obama

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #672 on: March 12, 2020, 11:20:22 AM »
I guess we'll see, but I'm pretty convinced it's going to be 2-3 months of rough going in the US followed by a full blown recession cycle. 

Can't you just shake some IDLife on the economy and return it to hale and hearty health in a matter of days?  :rofl:

brimic

• friends
« Reply #673 on: March 12, 2020, 11:22:32 AM »

Right now the genesis for most market selling is to get money into more secure commodities, such as gold. That's why the price has risen significantly over the last quarter.

Gold is getting hammered on down market down days. the opposite dynamic is going on- people/institutions are liquidating gold positions to cover their margin losses.

Barack Obama

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #674 on: March 12, 2020, 11:23:09 AM »
OK...

So looks like we have a nice Howler Monkey of Doom chorus here.

Sing us a song, boys.... Sing DOOM! I like that one.  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: