Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 440180 times)

brimic

• friends
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #675 on: March 12, 2020, 11:24:31 AM »
OK...

So looks like we have a nice Howler Monkey of Doom chorus here.

Sing us a song, boys.... Sing DOOM! I like that one.  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Gold is lower today than it was in the last week of february. Down 3.6% today, in fact.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #676 on: March 12, 2020, 11:25:31 AM »
OMG! YOU MEAN GOLD PRICES FLUCTUATES TOO!

WHO THE HELL KNEW?

:rofl: :rofl:

Gold is still nicely up for the quarter, and my guess will remain up for the next quarter, as well.

The movements in the gold market are a bit unusual, but there not, by any stretch of the imagination, unprecedented, nor are they indicative of the end of civilization as the Howler Monkeys know it...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #677 on: March 12, 2020, 11:26:00 AM »
OMG! YOU MEAN GOLD PRICES FLUCTUATES TOO!

WHO THE HELL KNEW?

:rofl: :rofl:

yes, just like retirement portfolios...

Barack Obama

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #678 on: March 12, 2020, 11:26:23 AM »
OK...

Sing us a song, boys.... Sing DOOM! I like that one.  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

We need someone to offset our doom and gloom, Mike.  Might as well be you.   :-*

I hope by this time next year I have enjoyed a big helping of crow for dinner, and we are all celebrating Trump's election to a second term, the House in firm Republican hands, and the Senate with a couple more conservatives in place.  But I am not going to run out right now to lay in some appropriate condiments for boneless breast of crow.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #679 on: March 12, 2020, 11:27:53 AM »
I don't think it's DOOM, I just don't think the timing is good to help Trump in the election.
Things will get back to normal and the markets will recover but not that quickly.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #680 on: March 12, 2020, 11:29:17 AM »
We need someone to offset our doom and gloom, Mike.  Might as well be you.   :-*

I hope by this time next year I have enjoyed a big helping of crow for dinner, and we are all celebrating Trump's election to a second term, the House in firm Republican hands, and the Senate with a couple more conservatives in place.

I don't think Trump is going to lose. Election day is still a long ways off, and there is plenty of time for the country to get through the pandemic and start recovery. Other than him trying to save the markets for a week instead of rallying around the idea of fighting COVID-19, none of the problems we have right now are his fault. I can't even imagine the disaster we would have on our hands if bernie or joe took the reigns right now.

Barack Obama

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #681 on: March 12, 2020, 11:30:35 AM »
I can't even imagine the disaster we would have on our hands if bernie or joe took the reigns right now.

My guess would be wait too long and then jackboot it up.

Never let a crisis go to waste.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #682 on: March 12, 2020, 11:30:47 AM »
I don't think it's DOOM, I just don't think the timing is good to help Trump in the election.
Things will get back to normal and the markets will recover but not that quickly.
I am thinking along those lines as well.  I think whatever will happen with this virus is going to happen this Spring.  This election is still a ways away.  We haven't even seen the Bernie Army in action yet.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #683 on: March 12, 2020, 11:31:03 AM »
We're 8 months from the election.

In a presidential election cycle that might as well be 8,774 PZA*

If this were happening 4 months from now? Yeah, then I'd be nervous. But right now. No, I'm not nervous.

*Post Zombie Apocalypse

Oh, and let's face it.

Trump isn't helping Trump in the election, for *expletive deleted*ck's sake. Someone needs to take his phone away and give him abacus, or a pocket calculator, or something other than a phone.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #684 on: March 12, 2020, 11:36:01 AM »
Trump isn't helping Trump in the election, for *expletive deleted*ck's sake. Someone needs to take his phone away and give him abacus, or a pocket calculator, or something other than a phone.
I don't know what you're talking about :P
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #685 on: March 12, 2020, 11:36:53 AM »
Besides, we hope The Boys season 2 will be out by then and everyone will forget all this stuff.   =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #686 on: March 12, 2020, 11:42:33 AM »
OK...

Sing us a song, boys.... Sing DOOM! I like that one.  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Yeah in 10 years my TSP will be nice and fat since I'll be buying in low for the next few years

Hows that for good news?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #687 on: March 12, 2020, 12:24:48 PM »

Yeah in 10 years my TSP will be nice and fat since I'll be buying in low for the next few years

Hows that for good news?

With Biden as President for the next 8 years? 

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #688 on: March 12, 2020, 12:25:47 PM »
Just got back from the local grocery store where I picked up my lunch at the Corona bar.

Traffic was a bit heavier than most days at this time, but nothing that I'd consider to be out of the ordinary. The shelves seemed to be stocked, but I didn't check out the toilet paper aisle.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #689 on: March 12, 2020, 01:02:57 PM »
https://www.theatlantic.com/…/who-gets-hospital-bed/607807/…

An interesting article showing how Italy is having to make decisions on who gets care when you have a finite supply of healthcare beds, technology and staff. I wonder if we will come to that here. This reminds me of the early days of kidney dialysis: there were limited numbers of machines and local hospital committees of medical and laypeople decided who received dialysis and who did not, and people lived or died by those decisions.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #690 on: March 12, 2020, 01:30:26 PM »
Traffic was a bit heavier than most days at this time, but nothing that I'd consider to be out of the ordinary. The shelves seemed to be stocked, but I didn't check out the toilet paper aisle.

Same at my store an hour ago, except that the TP, sanitizer, and rubbing alcohol were completely empty.  The cold/flu medicine and hydrogen peroxide were nearly empty.

I stopped in Staples for some office stuff.  They were fully stocked on TP.  I didn't check the sanitizer.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #691 on: March 12, 2020, 01:35:28 PM »
https://www.theatlantic.com/…/who-gets-hospital-bed/607807/…

An interesting article showing how Italy is having to make decisions on who gets care when you have a finite supply of healthcare beds, technology and staff. I wonder if we will come to that here. This reminds me of the early days of kidney dialysis: there were limited numbers of machines and local hospital committees of medical and laypeople decided who received dialysis and who did not, and people lived or died by those decisions.

Swine Flu:   60 million infected.  300,000 hospitalized.  Does anyone even remember it?   
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #692 on: March 12, 2020, 01:38:54 PM »
NHL just announced that it's suspending the season.

And, stock markets are off their lows after a $1 trillion Fed package designed to ease strain on capital markets.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #693 on: March 12, 2020, 01:49:07 PM »

And, stock markets are off their lows after a $1 trillion Fed package designed to ease strain on capital markets.

That was a really quick pump, then it fell again.... I'm really interested in seeing the last hour of trading today and tomorrow, that could indicate where things are going to go. I cashed out and took my gains when the S&P popped by the first percent. Sitting on the sidelines now.

Barack Obama

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #694 on: March 12, 2020, 01:57:56 PM »
Decided to stop by Sam's Club to buy cat food since they have it on sale ($3 off per bag). Holy Moly the place was packed.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #695 on: March 12, 2020, 02:08:12 PM »
 :facepalm:

I cannot make sense of this. Is he deliberately crashing the American economy and dividing us from Europe? If so, is this Putin's work, yet again? A final gift as Trump loses control of the country?

— Heather Cox Richardson (TDPR) (@HC_Richardson) March 12, 2020
https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2020/03/12/things-a-crazy-person-would-say-blue-check-professor-accuses-trump-of-doing-putins-work-with-coronavirus-travel-ban/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #696 on: March 12, 2020, 02:16:24 PM »
"That was a really quick pump, then it fell again...."

yep... that I did not expect... I expected a bit more moderated response, not a return to panicky rabbit running from a fox...

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #697 on: March 12, 2020, 02:20:46 PM »
https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/03/great-coronavirus-war-stay-calm-rational-easily-defeat-enemy/
The Great Coronavirus War Is upon Us

I haven't read much of it yet.  Starts out as a clever view of things.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #698 on: March 12, 2020, 02:24:10 PM »
I'm way behind on following this thread.

Yesterday, the Illinois State Rifle Associations annual lobby day at the beginning of April was cancelled.  Usually attracts thousands.  Tentatively rescheduled for middle of May.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #699 on: March 12, 2020, 02:30:35 PM »
My erstwhile employer has instituted a ban on non-essential travel. I'll have to re-read the policy, but it even covers personal travel.

Meanwhile, I dunno who to believe. I have bookmarked two maps, one from the CDC and one from ... some other source. CDC says NY state has 217 confirmed cases; the other map say 328. CDC says Montana has "1 to 5" cases. The other map says zero.

How the [bleep] can they fight it is they can't even agree on where it is?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design