Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 440329 times)

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #700 on: March 12, 2020, 02:43:51 PM »
How the [bleep] can they fight it is they can't even agree on where it is?

Have you seriously never dealt with a bureaucracy before?
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #701 on: March 12, 2020, 02:48:41 PM »
And the Supreme Court just closed to the public until further notice.

Cue all of the 'tarded left screeching about how this is the start of the Trump Takeover...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #702 on: March 12, 2020, 02:51:54 PM »
My erstwhile employer has instituted a ban on non-essential travel. I'll have to re-read the policy, but it even covers personal travel.

Meanwhile, I dunno who to believe. I have bookmarked two maps, one from the CDC and one from ... some other source. CDC says NY state has 217 confirmed cases; the other map say 328. CDC says Montana has "1 to 5" cases. The other map says zero.

How the [bleep] can they fight it is they can't even agree on where it is?

Read the medium article linked in post 634.  It actually lays out pretty nicely why real cases lags behind reported cases, and while it's easy to know in hindsight how many cases there were, how many there are in any present is a much harder target.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #703 on: March 12, 2020, 03:24:52 PM »
That medium article was good, but even common sense dictates that very few coronavirus cases will be reported, versus the actual count of infections.

Most people don't go to the doctor for the flu unless they actually need help getting over it.  And coronavirus has flu-like symptoms and a low mortality rate.  Yeah, it's 5-10x higher than a typical flu, but it's still pretty low.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #704 on: March 12, 2020, 03:49:02 PM »
The panic mode everyone and every organization is in right now will do more damage to the economy than the CV itself ever could.
I am beginning to think we are well and truly screwed, and the screwing can be laid at the feet of the Dem/MSM pushing the "We're all gonna die!" narrative.
They will do anything to get Trump out of office or deny him reelection, regardless of the damage it causes to the country.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #705 on: March 12, 2020, 03:52:24 PM »
    My 8-year old son asked “How can we hope to control this pandemic when Trump’s xenophobic science denial is clearly to blame?”

I did not know how to answer and I am literally shaking.

— Kurt Schlichter (@KurtSchlichter) March 12, 2020
https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2020/03/12/omg-hes-literally-shaking-kurt-schlichter-takes-the-woke-kid-story-to-a-whole-new-level-and-makes-media-look-even-dumber/

Sure he did wink wink
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #706 on: March 12, 2020, 04:00:04 PM »
The panic mode everyone and every organization is in right now will do more damage to the economy than the CV itself ever could.
I am beginning to think we are well and truly screwed, and the screwing can be laid at the feet of the Dem/MSM pushing the "We're all gonna die!" narrative.
They will do anything to get Trump out of office or deny him reelection, regardless of the damage it causes to the country.

I don't think it's as bad as all that.  Yes they are pushing that narrative and will as long as our numbers of sick are rising, but they've got the attention span of a toddler on speed.  as soon as the world doesn't end, they will move on.

We almost went to war in Jan, and most folks don't remember it.  Impeachment is almost completely out of the new cycle once they lost.

They will milk this for what they can and move on.

Unless the actual sickness gets to 1918 flu numbers of sick and dead, they won't be willing to stretch it that far.  They will "squirrel" to something else.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #707 on: March 12, 2020, 04:07:34 PM »

Do you think Italy is in panic mode because they hate Trump?
They might be a little older and have a few more smokers but they shut things down because they had no other way to stop the spread and their hospitals were being overwhelmed.  I haven't seen a convincing argument why things will go significantly better here, especially with our lack of testing.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #708 on: March 12, 2020, 04:08:45 PM »
Dogmush, it isn't the CV panic itself that will deny Trump reelection, it's the economic damage (likely a serious recession) resulting from the panic that will cause him lose.
The whole CV thing will be over and done with by May in my opinion, but the economic recovery will not start until mid-2021, if even then.  With Democrats in charge, all bets will be off once they jack corporate tax rates back up to their original 35% (hopefully that's all the farther they will go).
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #709 on: March 12, 2020, 04:12:29 PM »

Silly question, DittoHead.
Do you think we should be in such a serious panic here in the US given the much lower number of cases and fatalities we have experienced (and likely will experience) versus Italy?

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #710 on: March 12, 2020, 04:18:37 PM »
Do you think we should be in such a serious panic here in the US given the much lower number of cases and fatalities we have experienced (and likely will experience) versus Italy?

YES. (Though "Panic" is not what I'd suggest, but taking things seriously and having everyone practice "Social Distancing." I can work in my office, and be over 6 feet away from everyone else. I don't see the need to shut down my office. If your company packs its employees in like sardines, it might want to encourage at least half of them to work from home.) Make it clear WHY we are doing this- not because most people will be in danger, but because there are limits to the numbers that our medical system can handle and we have to ensure this exponentially growing disease doesn't get there. You can go from one day having plenty of space in your ICUs, (only half of all beds taken up!) to the next day being full and the next day at twice capacity. You can't shut it down once it gets that far, you have to shut it down early.

If the reports are true about the nature of this disease (how contagious it is) then we need to act now, before we get large numbers of cases and fatalities. Waiting to act until there are a bunch of dead people ensure that we will have a huge number of dead people.

We haven't fully shut down our economy, like reports out of Italy say it has. I don't want to get to the point that we have to shut everything down to keep our medical system from getting overwhelmed like it is/was in China, Italy, and Iran.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #711 on: March 12, 2020, 04:19:07 PM »
We have a low number of confirmed cases because we don't have the capacity to test more.
I think certain parts of the US are where Italy was a week or two ago. The way to avoid becoming Italy is to take measures now, if it's not too late. As far as serious panic - it depends what you mean? Hoarding masks, TP, & bottled water is stupid and unhelpful.
Closing off travel from the EU isn't a bad move, but it's too late to make a big difference.
Cancelling large events, closing schools or going online, having as many people work from home are all smart choices right now.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #712 on: March 12, 2020, 04:20:35 PM »
Dogmush, it isn't the CV panic itself that will deny Trump reelection, it's the economic damage (likely a serious recession) resulting from the panic that will cause him lose.
The whole CV thing will be over and done with by May in my opinion, but the economic recovery will not start until mid-2021, if even then.  With Democrats in charge, all bets will be off once they jack corporate tax rates back up to their original 35% (hopefully that's all the farther they will go).

Perhaps.  I don't think it'll take that long to start going up, but it will take a while to fully recover.

Don't forget though, we still have to get a Dem candidate, and run an election with whatever shattered remains of the party come out of the convention.  Some of the Bernie supporters will revolt, Biden will forget that wisconson exists.  I legitimately am unwilling to call this election either way.

I don't think the economic damage is that lasting.  It's mostly panic driven, and will fade quickly as the panic does.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #713 on: March 12, 2020, 04:26:25 PM »
I don't think the economic damage is that lasting.  It's mostly panic driven, and will fade quickly as the panic does.

Yep. SOME of the decline is warranted, as companies have to deal with a new risk to their supply chains that was not priced in before. (Because everyone just whistled past the dangers of "just in time" inventories and relying on a single, adversarial country for most materials/goods.)

Hopefully companies will learn a lesson and diversify, strengthen, and shorten supply chains, but given the short-sighted nature of most CEOs, I'm not sanguine on that.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #714 on: March 12, 2020, 04:56:02 PM »
And OH Governor has ordered that all OH Schools (Public, Private, and Charter) will close after Monday March 16 and tentatively reopen April 6th.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #715 on: March 12, 2020, 05:03:55 PM »
All K-12 public and private schools in King, Pierce and Snohomish counties in Washington state must close on Monday and cannot reopen until at least April 24.

PS: this will effect 563,000 kids

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #716 on: March 12, 2020, 05:05:13 PM »
We have a low number of confirmed cases because we don't have the capacity to test more.
I think certain parts of the US are where Italy was a week or two ago. The way to avoid becoming Italy is to take measures now, if it's not too late. As far as serious panic - it depends what you mean? Hoarding masks, TP, & bottled water is stupid and unhelpful.
Closing off travel from the EU isn't a bad move, but it's too late to make a big difference.
Cancelling large events, closing schools or going online, having as many people work from home are all smart choices right now.

THIS 👆

Literally the only way to take a pandemic and turn it into a nothing burger is snuff it the *expletive deleted*ck out.  If we let this spread wild, it will be as bad as the 1919 pandemic.  
Exponential caseloads overwhelming hospitals while cases are still on the rise....
Nothing good comes from that.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Pb

• friend
« Reply #717 on: March 12, 2020, 05:22:28 PM »
All K-12 public and private schools in King, Pierce and Snohomish counties in Washington state must close on Monday and cannot reopen until at least April 24.

PS: this will effect 563,000 kids

So, are they thinking this will be gone in April?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #718 on: March 12, 2020, 05:53:35 PM »
They might be a little older and have a few more smokers but they shut things down because they had no other way to stop the spread and their hospitals were being overwhelmed.  I haven't seen a convincing argument why things will go significantly better here, especially with our lack of testing.

I'll admit that I didn't see "all" of Italy, and it was 30 years ago but...
As a country they have a higher average population density than the US, Their personal hygiene standards are not as high as is what I consider the US average, even accounting for scuzzy people here. Their health system is not the same as the US, they do not have the capacity we do.
They aren't a 3rd world country but they aren't far removed from it.
As for the actual 3rd world shitholes that have a high infection and death rate those places also tend to pack their people in pretty tight in their population centers and they tend to have personal hygiene standards that would make a pig cringe.

In the US the distribution has been in areas with a high population density. So far the fatalities have been very heavily skewed toward older people with previously health conditions that were in close proximity to other older people with underlying health issues.
When large numbers of nominally healthy people start croaking I'll get worried. In the meantime I will avoid large public gatherings of people, give the majority of my co-workers as wide a berth as possible, don't lick the handles on shopping carts and wash my hands regularly, so no real changes.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #719 on: March 12, 2020, 06:33:44 PM »
Trump is toast?

It's obvious Biden, Hillary or M Obama would be handling this sooo much better? :facepalm: ...

or we're going to elect a Communist because of Wuhan Flu!

Honestly I think television sucks IQ points right out of the brains of people.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #720 on: March 12, 2020, 06:35:35 PM »
JCPS (Jefferson county aka Louisville) schools closed until 4-6
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #721 on: March 12, 2020, 06:49:49 PM »
Trump is toast?

It's obvious Biden, Hillary or M Obama would be handling this sooo much better? :facepalm: ...

or we're going to elect a Communist because of Wuhan Flu!

Honestly I think television sucks IQ points right out of the brains of people.

QFT. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #722 on: March 12, 2020, 07:01:35 PM »
My county has a two weekend festival, this week and next, 62 years running. Cancelled. This is where all the civic groups make their money for the year. Less church missions, less scholarships; no new fire trucks. Brick and mortar businesses may close for good too.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #723 on: March 12, 2020, 07:02:36 PM »
Report from my niece in KY - the Governor has "highly recommended" that all schools, public & private, close next Monday & stay closed for at least 2 weeks.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #724 on: March 12, 2020, 07:08:42 PM »
https://www.fiercehealthcare.com/hospitals-health-systems/providence-st-joseph-health-offers-coronavirus-lessons-from-treating?mrkid=916753

Interesting article from the healthcare system that treated the very first US COVID 19 patient.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.