Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 440079 times)

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #825 on: March 14, 2020, 01:32:31 AM »
Dammit. I'm almost certain that's a reference to a movie I've seen, but I can't remember it.

Read the book.  It's much better, and you have the time.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #826 on: March 14, 2020, 08:13:21 AM »
I've never been so sad about being right about everything that's happened.  My last prediction I made about a week ago is six figure infections in the US when this is all said in done.

This ride isn't anywhere close to over.

Oh, VA schools closed for 2 week minimum.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #827 on: March 14, 2020, 08:24:14 AM »
Yeah, you're a regular Nostrafuckingdamus....
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #828 on: March 14, 2020, 08:26:14 AM »
I've never been so sad about being right about everything that's happened.  My last prediction I made about a week ago is six figure infections in the US when this is all said in done.

We probably already had 6 figure infections a week ago.

There is very little information out there regarding the demographics of those who've succombed and died.

From bits and pieces scattered about it seems to hit Asians, those over 60, those with underlying health issues and smokers particularly hard.

You're right though, we needed to panic earlier, before anything was in place 😄

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #829 on: March 14, 2020, 08:31:17 AM »
Read the book.  It's much better, and you have the time.

Read the book as King originally intended it.

When it was first published, his editors looked at it, said "You're a new author, and this book is going to be hugely expensive because it's so long. Cut 500 pages."

He did, and the story suffered, but it was still a huge hit.

Some years later he went back to his publisher and said "I want to publish the Stand was it was intended." And his publisher balked again, but by this time King was a massive cash cow for Doubleday and they relented, which is good, because the uncut version became a best seller again.

The miniseries was... a miniseries. Sort of like the original It miniseries. Good cast, but WAY WAY WAY too much subject material to be cogently plugged into such a short period of time allocated by the producers.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #830 on: March 14, 2020, 08:35:00 AM »
Man, this beer virus bill passed by a vast majority of congress is like 25% response related and 75% free stuff. I can't wait till a flu strain comes out that gets me free stuff, but once again, my demographic just gets to pay for the free stuff.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #831 on: March 14, 2020, 08:57:18 AM »
We probably already had 6 figure infections a week ago.

There is very little information out there regarding the demographics of those who've succombed and died.

From bits and pieces scattered about it seems to hit Asians, those over 60, those with underlying health issues and smokers particularly hard.

You're right though, we needed to panic earlier, before anything was in place 😄

I mean confirmed infections.  I imagine there is a ton of "walking wounded" right now, people who are slightly sick but think its allergies etc.
Even as much as countries like Italy or South Korea are testing, they can't be catching everyone.  It's the critical cases, and the family members of the sick who get tested.  I was reading somewhere that in some of the countries when people are presenting as critical with the correct symptoms they've even quit testing and are moving forward as if they're positive.

Italy is the country that scares me the most with this.  First world health care, and they're barely hanging on right now.
https://nypost.com/2020/03/13/coronavirus-in-italy-is-like-a-world-war-as-death-toll-soars/
I mean *expletive deleted*ck. They've hit almost 1300 fatalities in just a few weeks with only 17,000 confirmed cases.  Approx 15% of those cases are in some kind of hospital care.   
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #832 on: March 14, 2020, 09:29:28 AM »

Italy is the country that scares me the most with this.  First world health care, and they're barely hanging on right now.https://nypost.com/2020/03/13/coronavirus-in-italy-is-like-a-world-w
ar-as-death-toll-soars/

Mostly first world health care. Italy has one of the lowest Nurse to Doctor ratios in the EU and if you don't think that leads to a higher mortality then I have a bridge I would like to sell you.

https://ec.europa.eu/health/sites/health/files/state/docs/chp_it_english.pdf

Also I believe another factor in the Italian thing is the amount of Chinese tourists they get every year. In 2016, the only year I looked at Italy had nearly 3.5 million Chinese tourists land on their shores. I would imagine that is even higher in 2019/2020. With Italy not screening, much less stopping the influx of Chinese, that did not help prevent the spread of the virus.

bob

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #833 on: March 14, 2020, 09:31:25 AM »
I mean confirmed infections.  I imagine there is a ton of "walking wounded" right now, people who are slightly sick but think its allergies etc.
Even as much as countries like Italy or South Korea are testing, they can't be catching everyone.  It's the critical cases, and the family members of the sick who get tested.  I was reading somewhere that in some of the countries when people are presenting as critical with the correct symptoms they've even quit testing and are moving forward as if they're positive.

Italy is the country that scares me the most with this.  First world health care, and they're barely hanging on right now.
https://nypost.com/2020/03/13/coronavirus-in-italy-is-like-a-world-war-as-death-toll-soars/
I mean *expletive deleted*ck. They've hit almost 1300 fatalities in just a few weeks with only 17,000 confirmed cases.  Approx 15% of those cases are in some kind of hospital care.    

Apparently they have a very high immigrant population from China that they imported to do the jobs Italians wouldn't do in the garment industry.

They are also very active travellers going home to China to visit and then returning frequently.

That would explain the exponential growth in cases there.

It looks like our governments plan has been what is  called "flattening the curve".

Basically acknowledging it's here, it's spreading so let's slow it down enough to manage the sickest without crashing our health care system.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #834 on: March 14, 2020, 09:45:23 AM »
I mean confirmed infections.  I imagine there is a ton of "walking wounded" right now, people who are slightly sick but think its allergies etc.
Even as much as countries like Italy or South Korea are testing, they can't be catching everyone.  It's the critical cases, and the family members of the sick who get tested.
The idea that a lot of people are going to get it isn’t controversial. Your predictions about multiple millions of dead in the US are the ones I still don’t buy.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #835 on: March 14, 2020, 09:50:18 AM »
I guess the folks around here weren't as prepped as I thought.  Local Walmart looked like Black Friday - no parking, elbow to elbow inside.  Product being taking off the pallets and carts before it could be put on the shelves.

Into the local Walmart last night.  Toilet paper was gone gone gone.  Other stuff was mostly in stock.  No one seemed panicked.

Ammo sales were "brisk".  Lot's of .22, more .30-30 than I would have thought, .30-06 were the big sellers, along with 12ga.  Most people buying ammo didn't seem to really know what they wanted - "Got 7 1/2 & 8 shot, which one you want?" "Uhhh, what do you think I should get?".

One thing I noticed -- The local WM, post them pulling ammo at the behest/badgering of the Demandy Moms, still has plenty of .308/7.62x51.  So, one can still feed their mid-century freedom rifles (FALs and what not) from Walmart.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #836 on: March 14, 2020, 09:50:40 AM »
Another consideration Does it spread faster or more lethally among populations where a high percentage are cigarette smokers? 70% of adult males in China, I don’t know the percentages but Italy and Spain and France are all higher than USA
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #837 on: March 14, 2020, 09:52:01 AM »
I’m working on a recipe for home made toilet paper.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #838 on: March 14, 2020, 09:56:37 AM »
Another consideration Does it spread faster or more lethally among populations where a high percentage are cigarette smokers? 70% of adult males in China, I don’t know the percentages but Italy and Spain and France are all higher than USA

That is definitely a factor, not sure about spreading faster but it definitely hits harder.  From what I recall USA has about  15% smokers and Italy was closer to 25%
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #839 on: March 14, 2020, 10:00:23 AM »

It's a comorbidity factor for sure, but one of the recent Chinese studies put high blood pressure above smoking. 
The known factors are that any underlying health issues, along with age, increase your chances of requiring hospitalization or being a fatality.
JD

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #840 on: March 14, 2020, 10:01:43 AM »
Read the book as King originally intended it.

When it was first published, his editors looked at it, said "You're a new author, and this book is going to be hugely expensive because it's so long. Cut 500 pages."

He did, and the story suffered, but it was still a huge hit.

Some years later he went back to his publisher and said "I want to publish the Stand was it was intended." And his publisher balked again, but by this time King was a massive cash cow for Doubleday and they relented, which is good, because the uncut version became a best seller again.

The miniseries was... a miniseries. Sort of like the original It miniseries. Good cast, but WAY WAY WAY too much subject material to be cogently plugged into such a short period of time allocated by the producers.

Picked up the Stand miniseries out of Walmart's cheapo bin last night.  A little amusement if we get holed hp here.  From what Wikipedia tells me, depending on what release you get, some of them have a lot more material.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #841 on: March 14, 2020, 10:05:09 AM »
The idea that a lot of people are going to get it isn’t controversial. Your predictions about multiple millions of dead in the US are the ones I still don’t buy.

I said if it's allowed to just run wild.  Tamping down on letting it run is how this becomes background noise instead of an outbreak.

The Spanish flu died out because in some places it ran it's course.  2.5% mortality rate led to tens of millions of deaths world wide.
Read up on it for an understanding of what could happen.  https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/1918-pandemic-h1n1.html
China shuttered their entire country for 2 months to stop COVID19 from running wild.
I'm not sure why some people don't get the logic in this process?  Do we let something with the same mortality rate as the spanish flu just run wild through the 7.7 billion people of the world?  That would be fun.
JD

brimic

• friends
« Reply #842 on: March 14, 2020, 10:08:25 AM »
I've never been so sad about being right about everything that's happened.  My last prediction I made about a week ago is six figure infections in the US when this is all said in done.

I know how you feel. No one would listen. Most are still in denial. Local talk show was still talking about this as a ploy to hurt Trump, and they want their sportsball back last night.
It’s going to get a lot worse, and I don’t like being right about it.
I made a shitton of money in the last few weeks, I wonder if that is even going to matter. I don’t feel good about being right about that either.

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #843 on: March 14, 2020, 10:12:48 AM »
Corona virus outbreaks generally burn out.

The unknown here is when this one will peter out.

Then, will it reappear next fall?

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #844 on: March 14, 2020, 10:23:12 AM »
Corona virus outbreaks generally burn out.

The unknown here is when this one will peter out.

Then, will it reappear next fall?

I think the hope is that it will mutate like the Spanish flu did.  I can't imagine it won't crop back up.
JD

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #845 on: March 14, 2020, 10:29:49 AM »
Jesus *expletive deleted*ing Christ, some of you ass clowns are talking as if this is the human extinction event of all human extinction events...

Stop being *expletive deleted*ing panic monkeys!

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #846 on: March 14, 2020, 10:46:46 AM »
Tamping down on letting it run is how this becomes background noise instead of an outbreak.

The best part is that if we take the proper measures and it works, everyone will just say that it was no big deal and we didn't need to do all that.
 :facepalm: :mad:
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #847 on: March 14, 2020, 10:52:50 AM »
I'm not sure why some people don't get the logic in this process?
At root your logic is bad.  Not necessarily about addressing a disease, but about the relative severity of this one.

Only one of the following statements can be true.   Not both of them:
I imagine there is a ton of "walking wounded" right now, people who are slightly sick but think its allergies etc.
Even as much as countries like Italy or South Korea are testing, they can't be catching everyone.  It's the critical cases, and the family members of the sick who get tested.  I was reading somewhere that in some of the countries when people are presenting as critical with the correct symptoms they've even quit testing and are moving forward as if they're positive.
Do we let something with the same mortality rate as the spanish flu just run wild through the 7.7 billion people of the world?  That would be fun.

If the undetected infection rate is much higher than the detected (and I agree that it almost certainly is) then the mortality rate is not the same as the Spanish Flu.  If the mortality rate is the same as the Spanish Flu (and I don't think it is) then there are almost certainly not hordes of walking wounded out there for whom the impact is minimal.

The two points are mutually exclusive but you bounce them off of each other to get to alarmist numbers.  That doesn't mean we should do nothing, or let this run unchecked, or pretend Trump's handling is absolutely perfect, or consider this to be no worse than the common cold.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #848 on: March 14, 2020, 10:59:38 AM »
Jesus *expletive deleted*ing Christ, some of you ass clowns are talking as if this is the human extinction event of all human extinction events...

Stop being *expletive deleted*ing panic monkeys!

You know, part of that is the complete unknown about this virus.  One article I read says it's like a respiratory illness that puts you on the couch for a while, you hydrate a d take care.  Absent other health issues, you get better.  Two articles later and I'm reading how this hits like a sledge hammer, the sick have no energy, and most will struggle to breathe, requiring oxygen therapy or mechanical respirators.   Which one is internet crap, and which one is true, I have no idea.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #849 on: March 14, 2020, 11:01:29 AM »
Meanwhile

*Sigh*

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes