Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 440400 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #900 on: March 15, 2020, 09:05:32 AM »
More details

Banning the Sale of Firearms and Ammunition Because of Wuhan Virus? An Illinois Mayor Just Signed an Executive Order to Do It
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavlich/2020/03/13/illinois-mayor-may-ban-firearms-ammunition-as-part-of-emergency-over-wuhan-virus-n2564916

It appears the city is backpedaling like mad:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/champaign-clarifies-firearms-coronavirus-emergency
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #901 on: March 15, 2020, 09:20:18 AM »
I suspect this is still going to vary wildly. Here for instance, two weeks ago, Costco was not that bad - no more than the holiday rush, other than running out of TP and water. There were still plenty of parking spaces, etc. I haven't been there since then, but we only just had our first reported case of the virus, quickly followed by three more. Those four cases somehow made things finally go batshit here to where there's no parking at the Costco or many other stores.

As new "panic news" develops state by state, and city by city, I think we'll still see increased panic behavior. I would suspect at some point, states like CA will finally get panic weary, even though they may have dense population centers where caution would still be indicated, and panic buying will lessen. At some point soon, every *expletive deleted*ing person in the US is going to have a case of toilet paper and that buying spree is going to moderate.

Which - tangent - has me totally pissed off. I put all my eggs in one basket and bet that a TP supply is what would make me a wealthy apocalypse warlord. Now the entire SHTF monetary structure has crashed via supply and demand, and toilet paper is about as worthless as a trade good as toilet paper. I need to come up with a new source for TEOTWAWKI wealth.  :mad:

Living in or close to cities will likely be worst.  They'll see the most draconian type restrictions on movement and shopping.  They don't travel as far to shop, and have food deserts in them as well.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #902 on: March 15, 2020, 09:31:15 AM »
Trump tested negative for C19

The media

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #903 on: March 15, 2020, 09:33:41 AM »

The media

Seriously.  There was a "how can we believe him?" post about it in r/politics at reddit, and it was trending. :facepalm:
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #904 on: March 15, 2020, 09:38:38 AM »

The media

[img]https://thumbs.gfycat.com/LightheartedUnevenGypsymoth-small.gif
a

Yup. First they were screaming that he didn't take the test (i.e., following "the rules" that you don't get tested unless you have symptoms), now they're screaming that he took the test.

The left and MSM (but I repeat myself) are really attacking the Surgeon General as well, including his credentials. I mean, can you imagine the "racism" cries if he was a dem president's SG?

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #905 on: March 15, 2020, 10:36:47 AM »
Nike closing it's stores in the US and Europe but keeping stores in S.K., Japan, China open.  ???

De Blasio says no to closing NYC schools
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #906 on: March 15, 2020, 10:41:56 AM »
I heard it suggested that since testing was being expanded that we would soon see a spike in the total numbers of people with the virus even if not a spike in deaths.  Do you think that will cause a round two of panic or will people be a little punch drunk from the first one?

I met a guy for a trade yesterday.  I guess he doesn't watch the news and he was shocked that people were buying up stuff.  I was just thinking that we have talking about this stuff for a month or more.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #907 on: March 15, 2020, 11:03:40 AM »
Nike closing it's stores in the US and Europe but keeping stores in S.K., Japan, China open.  ???

De Blasio says no to closing NYC schools
Read somewhere that the teachers are planning on staying home.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #908 on: March 15, 2020, 11:15:58 AM »
Also, Austria just banned all public gatherings of more than 5 people. Not 500. Not 50. FIVE.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/coronavirus-austria-update-symptoms-gatherings-ban-latest-a9402866.html

Also, Norway is set to close all airports and harbors.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #909 on: March 15, 2020, 11:34:25 AM »
The problem here is now that the panic buyers have swept through when the stores do get restocked the normal buyers (including me) are going to feel a lot of pressure to buy more than normal in case we can’t get it later. It’s hard to resist that mentality and I’m a lot smarter than the average consumer.

We barely got TP yesterday. One good sized pack. Soap and cleaners were also hard hit. Groceries  for us weren’t a problem because we were buying fresh meat and vegetables. Ramen and stuff like that was hard hit.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #910 on: March 15, 2020, 11:35:47 AM »
We should be doing this isolation stuff in the US every year from DEC-MAR and saving 30,000-40,000 lives. Plus no having to interact with people. :)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #911 on: March 15, 2020, 11:41:49 AM »
So my dentist's office is still open for business. I just got the "confirm your appointment" text for my semi-annual cleaning on the 25th.

As much as I'm not taking the pandemic as seriously as others, one of the places it does seem kinda dumb to go is the dentist for an elective procedure. I'm actually going to think about postponing.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #912 on: March 15, 2020, 11:44:29 AM »
Went to my usual barber shop. Usually I have to wait, deader than a door nail.
- Calvin and Hobbes

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #913 on: March 15, 2020, 11:45:45 AM »
Just got a message from a local DR friend from a conference call they were in yesterday. "Looking for Covid-19 to peak late April through June in the US"
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #914 on: March 15, 2020, 11:47:08 AM »
Friday night went out to dinner at my favorite  Mexican restaurant, owner said business was off 70%
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 01:30:58 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #915 on: March 15, 2020, 11:49:55 AM »
It's all Fox News and Trump's fault for the panic

When this is all over and we properly examine what was done right and what was done wrong I hope we can have an honest national conversation on the toxic effect of Fox News. They are a critical instrument of Trump and his approach to the crisis.

— Joe Lockhart (@joelockhart) March 15, 2020
https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2020/03/15/have-a-nice-refreshing-glass-of-stfu-juice-cnns-joe-lockhart-blames-fox-news-for-coronavirus-panic-and-talk-about-backfire/
- Calvin and Hobbes

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #916 on: March 15, 2020, 01:25:21 PM »
Chatted with one of the college kids at church this morning.  He gets an extra week of spring break, then they start doing his classes over the Internet.  I can't imagine how much work has to go on behind the scenes to make that work, every place that going to try to do it.

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #917 on: March 15, 2020, 01:25:32 PM »
It appears the city is backpedaling like mad:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/champaign-clarifies-firearms-coronavirus-emergency

The truly scary part is that the city administration believes it has those powers in the first place.  That's kind of why the 2nd Amendment exists.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #918 on: March 15, 2020, 01:28:33 PM »
Chatted with one of the college kids at church this morning.  He gets an extra week of spring break, then they start doing his classes over the Internet.  I can't imagine how much work has to go on behind the scenes to make that work, every place that going to try to do it.

I was talking to someone from my old work last week, and they apparently had almost everyone who's jobs allowed it in DC and all the national satellite offices telecommute one day last week as a  'test day" to see if the VPN could handle all the traffic.

Parker Dean

• friend
« Reply #919 on: March 15, 2020, 01:47:08 PM »
Stores are starting to restock and will continue to. 

Well yeah, but it's going to take a few minutes.

Went to Wally World on my usual 0100 Sunday trip and the bread, meat, canned vegetable, egg, TP, and paper towel shelves were bare. Heck, they were storing extra pallets of Cream of Mushroom soup and Cinnamon Toast Crunch in the paper towel bays. I guess that means they were clearing space in the back for lots of other stuff to come in, but apparently not paper towels.

Someone on the trucking reddit posted a pic of something like a mile of trucks waiting turn turn left into the P&G plant at Tunkhannock to get TP loads. Anecdotal stories from other drivers suggest other TP plants are similarly overwhelmed.

I drive for one of the big three meatpackers and load assignments had been fairly light compared to prior 1st-quarters. Until Thursday when I was suddenly booked for all next week, which has never happened in 5+ years, and when I got back to the plant there were now so many trailers there was literally had no place to drop the trailer I had and the spotter had to take it somewhere else. Also, instead of my usual industrial and wholesaler customers, all of next week drops are grocery DC's.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #920 on: March 15, 2020, 01:51:49 PM »
So my dentist's office is still open for business. I just got the "confirm your appointment" text for my semi-annual cleaning on the 25th.

As much as I'm not taking the pandemic as seriously as others, one of the places it does seem kinda dumb to go is the dentist for an elective procedure. I'm actually going to think about postponing.

I have (make that "had") two non-essential appointments at the VA hospital for tomorrow (Monday) Being in the at-risk population due to both age and a heart condition, I was planning to call first thing in the morning to reschedule. The VA hit me with a preemptive strike. They called me today (on a Sunday!) to inform me that both appointments have been cancelled. Dermatology has been rescheduled for August. The dental clinic will call separately to reschedule that appointment.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #921 on: March 15, 2020, 01:54:00 PM »
I was talking to someone from my old work last week, and they apparently had almost everyone who's jobs allowed it in DC and all the national satellite offices telecommute one day last week as a  'test day" to see if the VPN could handle all the traffic.

And? ...

Did the network buckle under the load?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #922 on: March 15, 2020, 02:50:23 PM »
And? ...

Did the network buckle under the load?

Don't know. I talked to her the day before and haven't touched base since.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #923 on: March 15, 2020, 03:05:04 PM »
The crazy has struck here now. My son went to wally world yesterday and posted pictures of empty TP shelves and cleaned out meat counters.
The wife and I made a trip to the local grocery store this morning. Some things are low on stock but nothing was completely wiped out, not even the TP. They didn't have my usual brand/style but I did pick up a couple of 4 roll packs just because. The store has also instituted a 3 per customer per day limit of any shortage item, TP, cleaning supplies, bottled water...
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #924 on: March 15, 2020, 03:32:07 PM »
The crazy has struck here now. My son went to wally world yesterday and posted pictures of empty TP shelves and cleaned out meat counters.
The wife and I made a trip to the local grocery store this morning. Some things are low on stock but nothing was completely wiped out, not even the TP. They didn't have my usual brand/style but I did pick up a couple of 4 roll packs just because. The store has also instituted a 3 per customer per day limit of any shortage item, TP, cleaning supplies, bottled water...

I want to buy some more steak, but don't want to deal with Costco. My little store is the smaller of two local stores owned by the same family. I might try to go to their main store in the next town over tomorrow and try some of the meat from their butcher counter there. It seems to be competitively priced, but I'm unsure of quality.

It seems little grocery stores just aren't getting slammed like the big boys are.