Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 440230 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #950 on: March 15, 2020, 10:40:52 PM »
Hey,  I wonder if Bidet sales have increased during this panic?  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #951 on: March 15, 2020, 10:45:01 PM »
The problem is the grocery stores and warehouses both depend on JIT practices.  Now that the grocery stores are hard hit and have used extra deliveries from the warehouses are the warehouses also running out??? And what will refill them? There is also only so much truck capacity also

True. And this isn't like, for instance, the hurricane season, when a run on supplies in Florida and Louisiana can be made up by reallocating supplies from other parts of the country. This IS the whole country. The whole system is predicated on a fairly normal, predictable rate of sales and replacements. That entire system has been stood on its systemic ear by this thing.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #952 on: March 15, 2020, 10:53:39 PM »
I can tell not living in a hurricane area or similar area I have seen grocery store runs on stuff like milk and bread but never several sections including the entire meats, frozen goods, produce, canned goods etc

This is going to cause a *expletive deleted*it ton of panic and freaking out come this week
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #953 on: March 15, 2020, 10:56:14 PM »
The Washington state governor will sign an executive order tomorrow closing all bars and restaurants except for carry out food service, and also bans all gatherings over 50 people.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #954 on: March 15, 2020, 11:24:02 PM »
I finally gave in and did some minimal prep. Starting point is I have more than 3 months of food on hand already. Unopened costco bale of TP so whew, that was a close one.  ;/ Chickens that lay eggs and eat for free in another few weeks. Walk 300 yards to the river if I need water from a non standard source. So, I wasn't worried. Talked to my ex and she is in civilization proper and cannot find some stuff. I needed to be out of the house today so I drove from my BFE to another, Moorefield, WV. It's really out there. Place is not panicked, but the walmart was hit hard. Not just TP either. Found a couple hand sanitizers that she wanted. I decided by the looks of the store I would do my weekly grocery shopping plus a little, beef up my canned goods and beef in the freezer. Country people that still cook had been there, the flour and sugar aisle was empty, rice nearly gone, beans light, bread looked like a hurricane coming. I think this will get worse before it gets better, not the virus, but the panic. I only spent $140 so no hoarding here. That was yesterday, store finally had the one bathroom cleaner that removes the iron stains from my shower. I had been there like four trips when they didn't so I just tossed the whole shelf in my cart.

Things that weren't touched. In the Franklin, WV Walgreens they had some TP for bungholes, but nobody was buying the Hibiclens, the soap that really can nuke everything from orbit. Still a fair amount of bleach. Local store 1/4 mile from me I bought the old school brown lysol concentrate that also kills everything.

I very much favor slowing the world down and flattening the curve, skipped visiting this weekend just for that. But if people don't sharpen up the traffic accidents to go get all the things we don't need are going to kill more than the kung flu. People are so programmed to a rote day that any disruption makes the traffic just scary.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #955 on: March 15, 2020, 11:56:31 PM »
I'd forgotten about the half full jug of Hibiclens they sent me home with to prep for my shoulder surgery.  Got a couple gallons of bleach on hand plus about 10# of pool chlorine tablets. Food stores should be adequate for 3-4 weeks but variety may get slim.

On the local front, Oklahoma has posted the 8th confirmed case. the 1st case has now fully recovered.

Our governor has declared a state of emergency for the entire state. Mostly at this point it enables more state/local/fed collaboration. Still haven't had any word on public schools going on extended break after this coming weeks regular spring break but all the state colleges are going to online classes after their spring break.

The stupid has escalated and the area wally worlds are being cleaned out of food stock and TP. My local small town grocery store was low on TP but not sold out. Still had bottled water, bread, milk and fresh meat but some of the frozen meat freezers were empty, plenty of frozen veggies as well as canned stuffed but they were out of spam, they never have more than a dozen or so cans on the shelf anyway though.

At this point I'm more concerned with stupid people freaking out and going all TEOTWAWKI on normal folk. I don't think we'll see much of that in the rural area but as mentioned the inner city types... who knows.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Snowdog

• friend
« Reply #956 on: March 16, 2020, 04:02:39 AM »
I work in one hospital while my wife works for a competing hospital 25 miles away.  I have a daughter in elementary school (that have now been ordered closed by the governor).  If Covid-19 makes its way here, my family is likely to contract it. 

Fortunately, my family is healthy and we have a good inventory of essential supplies.  I'm not part of the run on toilet paper though... we have kept our supplies in rotation faithfully for the past decade at least.  If we have to self-quarantine, we have enough food, water and other essentials to do so easily for a couple months, not just a couple weeks. 

I think the biggest issue we would have (beside kicking the bug itself if contracted) is running out of things to binge watch on Netflix, Hulu and Amazon.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #957 on: March 16, 2020, 07:16:33 AM »
The Washington state governor will sign an executive order tomorrow closing all bars and restaurants except for carry out food service, and also bans all gatherings over 50 people.

Nothing better than putting tens of thousands of people out of work to fix an over-hyped non-crisis.    :facepalm:
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #958 on: March 16, 2020, 08:00:01 AM »
I didn’t know I was independently wealthy, but looking through a closet the other day I located a whole unopened case of TP I must have shoved in there one day and forgot about.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #959 on: March 16, 2020, 08:35:18 AM »
My office is normally humming by 8 a.m.

Right now it's still a freaking ghost town.

I've got a meeting at 11 a.m. to present some documentation, and 4 out of the 5 people who are supposed to attend have young kids and are probably scrambling to find child care coverage.

This is weird times...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #960 on: March 16, 2020, 08:47:40 AM »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #961 on: March 16, 2020, 08:49:20 AM »
Hey,  I wonder if Bidet sales have increased during this panic?  :laugh:

Woman at a customer's I was at for a while this past week mentioned having put one in.  (Not for the current shortage.)

meanwhile my wife tells me we have 5 rolls of toilet paper.  she hadn't bought any.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #962 on: March 16, 2020, 08:51:53 AM »
meanwhile my wife tells me we have 5 rolls of toilet paper.  she hadn't bought any.

You're DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!!!
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #963 on: March 16, 2020, 08:58:55 AM »
Nothing better than putting tens of thousands of people out of work to fix an over-hyped non-crisis win an election.    :facepalm:
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 09:17:33 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #964 on: March 16, 2020, 08:59:48 AM »

Well, there's Chinese TP on Amazon for like $80 that will get to you in 4-6 weeks.  =D

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #965 on: March 16, 2020, 09:16:28 AM »
I'm going to be on permanent overtime for sure until I drop dead.
https://www.newsweek.com/thermo-fisher-coronavirus-test-kits-provide-results-four-hours-1492370

We started OT a few weeks ago to supply Roche and at least one other test kit maker, now we have our own test kit....

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #966 on: March 16, 2020, 09:22:49 AM »
10 days paid vacation for all my companies retail locations.

We're doing our part to flatten the curve.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #967 on: March 16, 2020, 09:41:19 AM »
I just heard our corporate office is effectively closed.  Everyone is working from home. 

We might try something at my site, but we have minimal staffing.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #968 on: March 16, 2020, 09:42:33 AM »

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #969 on: March 16, 2020, 09:50:34 AM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #970 on: March 16, 2020, 10:06:24 AM »
I have now read a couple of articles that gun sales in CA are greater than many other parts of the country right now. Can any APS CA members confirm the run on guns there?

I would be interested in what some of these first time buyers, likely liberal, think about buying their one gun per month, and waiting ten days to get it when their whole purpose was buying protection for what is happening right now, not two weeks from now.

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2020-03-15/coronavirus-pandemic-gun-sales-surge-us-california

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #971 on: March 16, 2020, 10:31:14 AM »
I have now read a couple of articles that gun sales in CA are greater than many other parts of the country right now. Can any APS CA members confirm the run on guns there?

A member of a Jeep forum I participate on posted that he heard from a friend in New England (state not identified, but he said they have strict gun laws, so that means CT, MA, or RI) who owns a gun shop and range. The shop owner said guns are flying off the shelves and they can't restock fast enough.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #972 on: March 16, 2020, 10:55:54 AM »
A member of a Jeep forum I participate on posted that he heard from a friend in New England (state not identified, but he said they have strict gun laws, so that means CT, MA, or RI) who owns a gun shop and range. The shop owner said guns are flying off the shelves and they can't restock fast enough.

Matches what I'm reading on a gunrelated BookFace group, from someone in the business.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #973 on: March 16, 2020, 11:22:25 AM »
And here's one reason why

Ohio jail to release hundreds of inmates amid coronavirus concerns: reports
https://www.foxnews.com/us/ohio-jail-releases-hundreds-inmates-coronavirus
- Calvin and Hobbes

brimic

• friends
« Reply #974 on: March 16, 2020, 11:38:03 AM »
https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-spain-death-toll-doubles-in-a-day-as-288-victims-now-confirmed-11957987

iTsJuStThEfLu

Countries don't get locked down for swine flu, ebola, bird flu, etc.... they get locked down for bioweapons.

I expect quarantines, or travel restrictions between municipalities this week.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama