Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 439961 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #975 on: March 16, 2020, 11:42:50 AM »
And here's one reason why

Ohio jail to release hundreds of inmates amid coronavirus concerns: reports
https://www.foxnews.com/us/ohio-jail-releases-hundreds-inmates-coronavirus

The list included older inmates and those with chronic illness and a history of respiratory issues, which are factors identified by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention that make someone more vulnerable to serious complications and death from the coronavirus.
Prisoner safety or avoiding treatment costs?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #976 on: March 16, 2020, 11:55:19 AM »
Well my work says keep working and if you can’t work then use PTO and short term disability (60% of normal pay) and just wash your hands and stay away from people
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #977 on: March 16, 2020, 11:55:37 AM »
Well crap

Beshear orders Ky. bars and restaurants to close dine-in services
https://www.wdrb.com/news/beshear-orders-ky-bars-and-restaurants-to-close-dine-in/article_ef1eb27a-678a-11ea-8ad8-eb7927ad966a.html

Just read an article saying the governors of New York, New Jersey and Connecticut have done the same. Take out only. Bars that don't serve food are closed, period.

Gotta wonder why it took them so long ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #978 on: March 16, 2020, 11:56:24 AM »
A former chair of the Council of Economic Advisers during the 2008 financial crisis under President Obama is urging Congress to provide a strong rescue package – including a one-time payment of $1,000 to every American adult and $500 for every child – to help cope with the fallout of the coronavirus, a report said.
What says the hivemind on matter, good, bad or....?

Down further he does show a bit of common sense
“The financial crisis occurred because the underpinning of the economy was bad, they say, but this is a temporary situation and eventually things will go back to normal,” he added.

Ex-Obama adviser says government should give American adults $1G, every child $500
https://www.foxnews.com/us/amid-coronavirus-fight-ex-obama-adviser-says-govt-should-give-every-american-1g
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #979 on: March 16, 2020, 12:00:55 PM »
What says the hivemind on matter, good, bad or....?

Does Bill Gates really need $1,000?

The people who need financial help are the people whose lives and jobs are being disrupted. I do think the government should provide some assistance, but it should be directed to the people who are losing their incomes from this thing. Welfare stay-at-homes will still get their checks; they don't need anything extra. People who can't work because their business has been shut down (like restaurant workers) should be able to collect emergency unemployment compensation to carry them through the emergency.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #980 on: March 16, 2020, 12:16:07 PM »
My wife and I don't need a thousand dollars each from the Government. We would just put it in the bank.  If such a program is implemented, we would want it to go to people in actual need.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #981 on: March 16, 2020, 12:30:03 PM »
Was just nosing around on amazon and most prime items show Sat or later for delivery for me.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #982 on: March 16, 2020, 12:36:22 PM »
Was just nosing around on amazon and most prime items show Sat or later for delivery for me.

I'm seeing the same thing.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #983 on: March 16, 2020, 12:40:10 PM »
Just hit the local Giant. Shocked that the salad bar is still open, but good for me because that's my lunch.

Shelves are better stocks. Still very little meat, but more meat than there was on Friday.

Milk, eggs, and cheese are back.

Some potatoes, but still no onions, damn it.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #984 on: March 16, 2020, 12:40:31 PM »
On the sgammo.com home page:

Due to overwhelming order volume over the past week we are not currently accepting new orders. We are currently approximately 10 days behind on filling orders and the priority is going to be given to filling existing orders. We will begin to restore inventory later this week once we have a handle on shipping all orders that have been placed so far.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #985 on: March 16, 2020, 01:27:05 PM »
My short term disability has been extended to 4/13/20. From talking with a co-worker I'm wondering if some small part of that is due to the company trying to get everyone that can work from home to do so. Of course the Dr saying it is necessary is probably the main reason but I'm not going to fight it.
For good or bad my job is hands on and can't be telecommute. Hard to actually physically install a 400G fiber circuit from home.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #986 on: March 16, 2020, 01:31:14 PM »
French docs say don't take NSAIDS:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/16/health-experts-criticise-nhs-advice-to-take-ibuprofen-for-covid-19

There is some disagreement on acetaminophen.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

brimic

• friends
« Reply #987 on: March 16, 2020, 02:29:10 PM »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/16/health-experts-criticise-nhs-advice-to-take-ibuprofen-for-covid-19

I read something about that earlier.... really good to know, because the big jar of ibuprofen is always my first stop when something hurts, and something usually does hurt.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #988 on: March 16, 2020, 02:35:33 PM »
Canada just closed its borders to non citizens; Americans not included in the ban.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #989 on: March 16, 2020, 02:38:28 PM »
Canada just closed its borders to non citizens; Americans not included in the ban.

I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #990 on: March 16, 2020, 02:45:08 PM »

That could get frustrating for Alaskans, for sure, if they closed Yukon/BC to Alaskan US traffic.

I worry about state level quarantines.  In High School, I lived in Walla Walla, WA.  I worked for a vegetable cannery in Milton-Freewater, OR, for the summers.  Probably half the cannery staff and ag job workforce came from north of the OR border.  Pretty common for cross-border employment in lots of places, and cross-border supply systems.  Milton-Freewater didn't have Costco or Walmart, but Walla Walla did.  Lewiston/Clarkston are very tightly integrated on the WA/ID border.  Lots of places like that scattered around the US.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #991 on: March 16, 2020, 03:25:44 PM »

My brother the nurse advised:

By the way, if you were to get corona, my advice is to avoid aspirin. Take an antihistamine and Tylenol. Humidify the air.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #992 on: March 16, 2020, 03:26:57 PM »
That could get frustrating for Alaskans, for sure, if they closed Yukon/BC to Alaskan US traffic.

I worry about state level quarantines.  In High School, I lived in Walla Walla, WA.  I worked for a vegetable cannery in Milton-Freewater, OR, for the summers.  Probably half the cannery staff and ag job workforce came from north of the OR border.  Pretty common for cross-border employment in lots of places, and cross-border supply systems.  Milton-Freewater didn't have Costco or Walmart, but Walla Walla did.  Lewiston/Clarkston are very tightly integrated on the WA/ID border.  Lots of places like that scattered around the US.
This is an issue here in Europe as well. Plenty of people who live in one country and work in a neighboring country. Swedes working in Denmark, Germans working in Austria and Switzerland are common examples. Apparently, while the borders are closed now, they made exceptions for cross border workers. Swedes are still commuting to Copenhagen, and Germans are still working in Switzerland.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

zahc

• friend
« Reply #993 on: March 16, 2020, 03:33:34 PM »
Is it ok to freeze these things in the freezer? I have a lot of freezer space, but I don't know if it's even beneficial:

beans
potatoes
rice
flour
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #994 on: March 16, 2020, 03:33:39 PM »
https://thefederalist.com/2020/03/16/mexico-is-dangerously-unprepared-for-the-inevitable-wuhan-coronavirus-outbreak/

An uncontrolled outbreak south of the Rio Grande will put communities in south Texas, California, New Mexico, and Arizona at risk, especially cities that see tens of thousands of people cross back and forth over the border every day, like San Diego or El Paso.

Simply put, Mexico has almost no ability to control vast swaths of its own territory in normal times. The state is endemically weak, with powerful cartels exercising a kind of de facto sovereignty over much of the country. State and institutional power matter most in times of war and pandemic, and Mexico is in dangerously short supply of both. When the coronavirus hits there, we might wish we had finished building that wall a long time ago.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #995 on: March 16, 2020, 03:38:02 PM »
Is it ok to freeze these things in the freezer? I have a lot of freezer space, but I don't know if it's even beneficial:

beans
potatoes
rice
flour

I would think rice and uncooked beans would be fine. Flour for sure, I used to freeze it all the time. Potatoes if you cooked them first should freeze just fine, then used them for mashed or some other dish that doesn't need whole potatoes. That my thoughts anyhow.

bob

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #996 on: March 16, 2020, 03:50:06 PM »
beans
potatoes
rice
flour
Raw potatoes don't freeze well, but I've heard of freezing cooked or partially cooked potatoes.

How long are you planning on keeping the rice, beans, and flour?  Refined flour will keep for a couple years without freezing.  Whole grain goes rancid faster but freezing would likely help. 

Dry white rice and dry beans can store for 25-30 years without freezing.  Other varieties of rice may not keep as long, but still much longer than I expect this particular event to last.

If you've got extra freezer space I'd either fill it with things that make sense to freeze or bottles of water.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #997 on: March 16, 2020, 04:05:00 PM »
Raw potatoes don't freeze well, but I've heard of freezing cooked or partially cooked potatoes.

How long are you planning on keeping the rice, beans, and flour?  Refined flour will keep for a couple years without freezing.  Whole grain goes rancid faster but freezing would likely help. 

Dry white rice and dry beans can store for 25-30 years without freezing.  Other varieties of rice may not keep as long, but still much longer than I expect this particular event to last.

If you've got extra freezer space I'd either fill it with things that make sense to freeze or bottles of water.

I talked my ex-wife through opening the preps I had left behind from divorce 5 years ago this weekend (In case quarantine and the kids got stuck there). She opened sealed buckets that I made up 10 years ago, everything was fine except jars of apple sauce. The bulk of it was dried beans/enriched white rice.
She has enough food to last several months with the kids there, yet she still wouldn't stop freaking out.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #998 on: March 16, 2020, 04:38:37 PM »

beans
potatoes
rice
flour

No, assuming the beans are not fresh beans.  Everything but the potatoes has an extremely long shelf life (several years, but after a year the beans take a lot longer to cook)  Potatoes just have a kinda long life.   The freezer will ruin the potatoes, although they will still be edible.
"It's good, though..."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #999 on: March 16, 2020, 04:46:10 PM »
France is closing down, essentially, for 15 days.

I think things are going to get pretty bad in the US as far as food and supplies are concerned.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?