Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 439981 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #1050 on: March 17, 2020, 11:30:40 AM »
If you have to go to the grocery store, do it at 5AM, not 5PM.

Most of them are reducing hours. Even wally world has come off the 24/7 plan.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1051 on: March 17, 2020, 11:33:18 AM »
"If you have to go to the grocery store, do it at 5AM, not 5PM."

Around here some of the stores are open 24 hours, especially the WalMarts.

The Wegman's across the street from my office has more typical hours for this area -- 6 a.m. to Midnight.

But, they have a HUGE sign out front saying the temporary hours are 6 a.m. to 11 p.m. They apparently need that extra hour to get stock off the trucks and onto the shelves before the *expletive deleted*it show starts again at 6 a.m.

I've hit it several times around 6:45. That's the earliest I can get to it.

Tomorrow morning I'm stopping by the big Walmart that's on my way to work to see if I can get ground turkey there.

But, if Giant is any indication, we might have hit peak monkey panic for now.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #1052 on: March 17, 2020, 11:34:25 AM »
Disregard
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

brimic

• friends
« Reply #1053 on: March 17, 2020, 11:35:11 AM »
If you have to go to the grocery store, do it at 5AM, not 5PM.

I'm on the road to work at 5AM though:/ The earliest anything opens is the pic and save which is a bit out of my way, that doesn't open until 6AM

Driving through my town last night, I noticed a lot of the shops were closed. Coffee shops, bars, retail shops, restaurants were mostly closed, Movie theater had on their Marque- Closed Until Further Notice, 2 pizza places were still open though. Library is closed, a church had a notice posted out front stating that they are closed for the rest of the month, McDonald's had all of the chairs on top the tables but the drive through was open. There were a lot of people out walking their dogs, which made it feel like thee was still some normality.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

brimic

• friends
« Reply #1054 on: March 17, 2020, 11:36:34 AM »
The closest walmart changed their hours to 6am to 11PM.

Barack Obama

RoadKingLarry

• friends
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #1057 on: March 17, 2020, 12:14:00 PM »
Need to check Cash and Carry.  If they have decent supplies and prices still it would be nice to get more pork belly for bacon, and maybe some beef or other pork to keep more variety in the freezer.  Got plenty overall, just would like the extra variety.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #1058 on: March 17, 2020, 12:15:10 PM »
I've been using my credit card, with the chip in it, tit doesn't ask for a pin.

Google Pay for the win. Better hygiene both physically and electronically.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1059 on: March 17, 2020, 12:15:15 PM »
It's always those pesky jooze...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1060 on: March 17, 2020, 12:31:52 PM »
Breaking news...

US corona cases break 5,000, up 5 fold in the past week.

I guess that's what really happens when you get testing going... you find what's already there.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1061 on: March 17, 2020, 12:55:13 PM »
Demolition Derby!

In a separate email sent by the assistant director of Louisville Metro Emergency Services as of 7 p.m. on Tuesday, police will not be responding to several types of events:

· Medical alarms, unless there is a known safety issue

· Non-injury accidents

· Hit-and-run accidents

· Disorderly persons

· Intoxicated persons

· Reckless drivers

LMPD to no longer respond to hit and run wrecks, other incidents
https://www.wdrb.com/in-depth/lmpd-to-no-longer-respond-to-hit-and-run-wrecks/article_3fa29722-686a-11ea-9ae7-1fcf2d6fb288.html
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1062 on: March 17, 2020, 01:15:43 PM »
    Bloody Tuesday.

Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs just announced it is expelling all the American reporters at Wall Street Journal, New York Times, and Washington Post.

And not allowing them to work in HONG KONG either. Unprecedented.https://t.co/OiwQ783v9l

— B. Allen-Ebrahimian (@BethanyAllenEbr) March 17, 2020
https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2020/03/17/nyt-wapo-wsj-voa-and-time-reporters-told-to-leave-china-and-hong-kong/
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1063 on: March 17, 2020, 01:21:59 PM »
The Great Beer Virus War, Idaho Front:

Your intrepid reporter informing you from the Idaho Front. 17MAR20, 16:59 Zulu:

Costco: Got there at 0950 local, turned around, drove back home. While the parking lot was only 90% full, there were at least 200 people lined up to get in.  I hadn't planned on buying any "popular panic supplies (PPS)" other than potatoes and some meat (but was going to go high end on the meat, which seems to remain stocked). I was hoping to get some more frozen meals from them as they usually have better quality than the "Acme" frozen stuff at the grocery store. I'm kinda wondering if the thing to do with Costco is to hit it mid-afternoon, after they've sold out of the PPS. Maybe less crowded, and they'll still have what I want. I'm going to Boise in the next day or two, so might time it to be driving by Costco on the way home around 1400 or so.

Smalltown USA Dollar Store: I usually don't stop here, but the Mrs Dash salt-free seasoning I like for my eggs is $40 on Amazon right now, and the Mrs Dash website said the Dollar store carried it. I got the last one, $3. Surprisingly though, they had a decent stock of what I would consider "emergency food". Well-stocked on canned stuff, cereals, even pasta. Maybe people don't think of them for food? Low inventory to sold out of the paper products, cleaning supplies, soaps.

Smalltown USA grocery store: Today was the first day I saw bare shelves at my store. From the beginning of my route to the end (note that EVERY product in the store for the first time had a limit of either 1 or 2): Lots of donuts. Plenty of onions. Zero potatoes. Almost all the fresh veggies were gone with the exception of asparagus. Small town, so I expect price to factor on that.  I bought some since it's what I usually buy. Lots of chips. Lots of frozen pizzas, etc. Lots of cereal. Pretty bare in the disinfectant/soap/TP sections. Plenty of yogurt, half and half, and buttermilk, but zero regular milk of any kind. A few containers of almond and other hippie milk, but they always only have a few of those. Plenty of butter. I usually buy Kerrygold at Costco and I was out, so I settled for some Tillamook here. Bread shelves were empty, but the bread truck (regional bakery) had just rolled in and was filling them. Lots of lunch meat, and surprisingly, still a decent selection of regular cow meat in various cuts. Chicken was wiped out.

At the counter,  I asked the checker about the potatoes and the milk. She told me the potatoes were just bought out this morning like every morning the past few days, but with the milk, their supplier canceled delivery as they had no product to deliver. Again, maybe the smaller mom and pops are getting screwed so the big guys with the money can get theirs?

With the milk, this will be my first dip into my emergency supplies. I'm out, so will be using the carnation instant milk. I have plenty of that for drinking or having with cereal, and a case of evaporated milk to use for cooking and stuff. I'm almost out of potatoes, so that was poor planning on my part. I'm still going to look for some before  I break open my Auguson Farms tin of potatoes.

Oh, edit: My store was out of eggs too. More poor planning on my part. I still have a dozen and a half, and lots of powdered egg, but I've put off getting chickens. Had  I gotten them last year, I'd be sitting pretty for eggs. I'm getting the coup (a nice one the previous owners left) in order in the next week or so and getting chicks.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1064 on: March 17, 2020, 01:37:48 PM »
Irish stew on the stove
Irish whiskey in hand
Guinness on standby
Guess how I'm spending St. Patrick's day. *expletive deleted*ck this corona virus
- Calvin and Hobbes

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #1065 on: March 17, 2020, 01:43:31 PM »
SWMBO is going to the homebrew shop this week.  I have one keg, but no CO2 system.  She's going to pick up a keg/CO2 system kit.  Going to give her a shopping list for a batch of beer.  Hopefully they have plenty.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #1066 on: March 17, 2020, 01:43:51 PM »

Oh, edit: My store was out of eggs too. More poor planning on my part. I still have a dozen and a half, and lots of powdered egg, but I've put off getting chickens. Had  I gotten them last year, I'd be sitting pretty for eggs. I'm getting the coup (a nice one the previous owners left) in order in the next week or so and getting chicks.

While I can accept that every disaster plan should include provision for overthrowing the government, are you planning on unseating the county gummint or the state gummint? And what do chicks have to do with fomenting rebellion?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #1067 on: March 17, 2020, 01:45:23 PM »
I've seen several facebook posts from my friends sharing grocery stores that are leaving aside 1-2 hours in the mornings where only seniors can shop.  The left being the left, I anticipate age discrimination lawsuits any time now.

In deployed news: they've closed down the gyms, fast food, MWRs, and coffee shops in theater, and the PX's are running low on tobacco products and energy drinks.  We may kill the entire mideast before the US civilians notice.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1068 on: March 17, 2020, 01:47:33 PM »
While I can accept that every disaster plan should include provision for overthrowing the government, are you planning on unseating the county gummint or the state gummint?

Huh. I would have thought the COVID-19 would have already killed off the grammar nazis and autocorrect nazis, since they have such sensitive constitutions.

=D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #1069 on: March 17, 2020, 01:49:14 PM »
I've seen several facebook posts from my friends sharing grocery stores that are leaving aside 1-2 hours in the mornings where only seniors can shop.  The left being the left, I anticipate age discrimination lawsuits any time now.

My supermarket is a regional chain and they've done that. They now close at 8:00 p.m. rather than 11:00 p.m., and they are opening early (06:00) and setting aside 06:00 to 07:30 for people over the age of 60 only. Considering that I'm in the at-risk category for multiple reasons in addition to my age, I may avail myself of that opportunity to shop with somewhat less risk.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #1070 on: March 17, 2020, 01:50:05 PM »
Huh. I would have thought the COVID-19 would have already killed off the grammar nazis and autocorrect nazis, since they have such sensitive constitutions.

=D

You didn't know about the grammar zombies?

brimic

• friends
« Reply #1071 on: March 17, 2020, 02:25:36 PM »

I was planning on checking in with my elderly neighbor lady this week to see if she needs anything picked up...

Barack Obama

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #1072 on: March 17, 2020, 02:28:37 PM »
Iowa is pretty much shut down. Schools are closed until mid April, bars and eat in restaurants closed until the end of the March.

This sucks.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #1073 on: March 17, 2020, 02:30:35 PM »
SWMBO is going to the homebrew shop this week.  I have one keg, but no CO2 system.  She's going to pick up a keg/CO2 system kit.  Going to give her a shopping list for a batch of beer.  Hopefully they have plenty.

I'm going this afternoon.

I have enough honey on hand to start a batch of mead.  I may pick up some pineapples and habanero peppers for a habanero pineapple melomel.  But I need yeast for it, and I'd like to start 1 batch of beer now and have grains on hand for one more batch of beer in 2 weeks.  Got kegs and CO2 is at acceptable levels.  Have bottles a-plenty to set up 5 gallons of mead in 2-3 months.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1074 on: March 17, 2020, 02:54:00 PM »
Looks like my shop is breaking us into A and B teams, alternating 1 week on, 1 week off.

Not sure how that affects me since I'm the only tech writer on the project.