Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 439959 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #1175 on: March 19, 2020, 08:32:09 AM »
Stopped by the store on my way to work, as we are out of Kale.

So is Kroger. I got the LAST bag of spinach.

They had some potatoes. Not a lot, but maybe 20 bags and one of their loose potato areas was full.

Had bread. Some areas were empty, but still had a decent amount.

Had milk. Seemed to be completely full of every type. (But had a ration of 3 per customer... my family goes through 4 a week. I bought 3 so I could come back later for more.)

Saw people walking around with TP in their carts, so they had at least some of that.

I thought I'd take a look at the powdered milk, what with all the rumors about everyone having to shelter in place for 2 weeks. It was all gone. Related- did you know you can buy canned goat's milk?

In any case, things are not normal, still, but are more normal than earlier this week. (It was also first thing in the morning. That may be part of the reason for product being on shelves.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #1177 on: March 19, 2020, 08:55:19 AM »
Omar? Are they sure that's the same Omar?

Ilhan Omar praises Trump's 'incredible' response to coronavirus pandemic
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/ilhan-omar-praises-trumps-incredible-response-to-coronavirus-pandemic
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #1178 on: March 19, 2020, 08:57:44 AM »
Jesus *expletive deleted*ing christ on a flaming pogo stick.
How stupid is my agency?
We have several small break rooms, and a large cafeteria.  No cafeteria service, so it's just a big lunch room.  This gives people options and opportunity to spread out on breaks and lunch.
Guess which room they are closing this week?
THE *expletive deleted*ing CAFETERIA.  The room literally has no soft furniture and is all tile and glass.  Besides copious amounts of sunlight, it's easy to clean.
Which means everyone will be confined to the 2 break rooms for lunches or on break.
JFC.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #1179 on: March 19, 2020, 08:59:46 AM »

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/ilhan-omar-praises-trumps-incredible-response-to-coronavirus-pandemic

Right or wrong, Trump is now pushing through the soical solutions that were mostly proposed by democrats to help the economy through this.  I'm sure they will find something else to criticize though.

JD

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #1180 on: March 19, 2020, 09:00:08 AM »

So either she wants something or I should be worried about something Trump is already doing.  Maybe she is trying to keep the justice department off her back.

(fixed my writing)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 09:55:15 AM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1181 on: March 19, 2020, 09:10:32 AM »
So either she wants something or I should be worried about someone Trump is already doing.  Maybe she is trying to keep the justice department off her back.

I'm with Jamis on this - the administration is pushing some relief policies that are the wet dreams of Omar, Bernie, etc. Once the MSM starts reporting that "free stuff" (hopefully) won't be permanent, they'll start hating on him again.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1182 on: March 19, 2020, 09:12:12 AM »
"It’s time the government steps in and confiscates what these “preppers” have been hoarding all these years. Hoarding as we now see is evil. The only venerable thing that people should have been allowed to hoard all these years is money and thats only if its been in a bank or in the form of real estate."

You want Stalin? Because that's how you get Stalin.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #1183 on: March 19, 2020, 09:23:47 AM »
"It’s time the government steps in and confiscates what these “preppers” have been hoarding all these years. Hoarding as we now see is evil. The only venerable thing that people should have been allowed to hoard all these years is money and thats only if its been in a bank or in the form of real estate."

They want Stalin because they're all convinced they're going to be the one who will be Stalin.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #1184 on: March 19, 2020, 09:48:42 AM »

I missed it, which talking head shared that timeless gem of wisdom?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Parker Dean

• friend
« Reply #1185 on: March 19, 2020, 10:17:49 AM »
Potentially relevant to the shelter in place speculation, it seems the American Trucking Association took some concerns to the President yesterday, most specifically the fact that states are closing rest areas. After that meeting states are now reopening rest areas and service plazas that had been closed. That would seem to contradict a federal plan for sheltering in place to me.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #1186 on: March 19, 2020, 10:22:43 AM »
Potentially relevant to the shelter in place speculation, it seems the American Trucking Association took some concerns to the President yesterday, most specifically the fact that states are closing rest areas. After that meeting states are now reopening rest areas and service plazas that had been closed. That would seem to contradict a federal plan for sheltering in place to me.
During any extended shelter in place there will be some people who will be allowed to work.  I could see truckers being exempted, along with grocery workers, medical, police, fire, etc.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1187 on: March 19, 2020, 10:30:10 AM »
I missed it, which talking head shared that timeless gem of wisdom?

No talking head, just one of the sheep in the public comments section of the article. Nothing new. Besides making fun of me, many of my old coworkers always said, "Why should I take up space keeping supplies? I can just go to Ben's house if something happens."

That's pretty standard for the sheep. Why prepare yourself when the government or whoever will take care of you?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #1188 on: March 19, 2020, 10:32:30 AM »
No talking head, just one of the sheep in the public comments section of the article. Nothing new. Besides making fun of me, many of my old coworkers always said, "Why should I take up space keeping supplies? I can just go to Ben's house if something happens."

That's pretty standard for the sheep. Why prepare yourself when the government or whoever will take care of you?

If ever there was a comment that deserved the Doc Holiday "I'm your huckleberry" GIF response, that's it.

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #1189 on: March 19, 2020, 10:40:45 AM »
My business area was told yesterday afternoon that we are being sent home, with the expectation that we will be back to work on April 2nd. The intention is that we "break the chain" of transmission by pseudo-quarantining. Nicely, a charge number has been provided. They told us that we are effectively on call if anything mission critical comes up, so stay in town and sober during normal working hours.
Someone with three stars on their shoulder ultimately made this decision (I support the DoD), if that gives you an idea of the scope and gravity. I was surprised that it came relatively quickly, instead of two weeks from now.

In other news, yesterday afternoon Costco did have paper towels and bottled water, but did not have toilet paper. As others have observed, premium meats were present. I did not see any chicken products in the butcher's case. 24-can suitcases of Irish Death were available, and the wine isle was well stocked.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #1190 on: March 19, 2020, 10:41:30 AM »
During any extended shelter in place there will be some people who will be allowed to work.  I could see truckers being exempted, along with grocery workers, medical, police, fire, etc.

Yup. We received guidance that we carry our PIV cards because they "should" suffice if we're stopped by the police in areas where shelter in place is in effect.  
JD

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #1191 on: March 19, 2020, 11:02:54 AM »
Having truck drivers stop at rest areas would seem to be better than stopping at truck stops if the purpose is to avoid contact. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #1192 on: March 19, 2020, 11:13:00 AM »
Given the "Shelter in Place" mandates coming down regionally and that certain employees are classified as "essential" and allowed to move about during such mandates and if stopped by roadblocks or cops are allowed to go about their business... how does one become one of those essential employees and get documentation as such?

My company is 100% telecommuting right now.  I maintain our datacenter which is hosted at an Iron Mountain datacenter here in Phoenix.  Due to budget constraints, our DC is not particularly fault tolerant (it's mostly a dev/qa/support sandbox, no real production resources) and there are a handful of things that can happen that require physical presence to resolve.  I'd hate to get arrested or quarantined for heading into Iron Mountain.

Which tier of government is deciding what companies are "essential?"  Or do companies get to choose to classify any of their employees as "essential" and disclose that information to... what tier of government and office?  Or is it all an informal classification, a "Scout's Honor" kind of thing?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #1193 on: March 19, 2020, 11:42:31 AM »
I haven't heard of any shelter-in-place in my area.  If it were done here, the local county Emergency Management Coordinator would be the one to talk to.  Here, that man works for the County Sheriff. 

We often get letters from the county for critical plant personnel to return to the area to evaluate and restart after a hurricane. 

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1194 on: March 19, 2020, 11:53:19 AM »
Next week is my "work from home" week... and the company that I'm subbed to is actually looking at bringing us into their facility, which kind of *expletive deleted*ing defeats the entire purpose of sending us out of here.

I already told my boss, and she agrees, that I'm getting the hell out of Northern Virginia Saturday morning. I'm of the belief that we're very likely going to see a shelter in place order for Northern Virginia pretty soon and I don't want to be here when it happens, mainly because of trying to take care of Seren.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #1195 on: March 19, 2020, 11:54:35 AM »
I'm waiting for the phone call to be part of the emergency management team. Governor basically issued that order the other day, figured it is just a matter of time with the escalation of the numbers infected increasing every day.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #1196 on: March 19, 2020, 11:58:13 AM »
How stupid is my agency?
We have several small break rooms, and a large cafeteria.  No cafeteria service, so it's just a big lunch room.  This gives people options and opportunity to spread out on breaks and lunch.
THE *expletive deleted*ing CAFETERIA.  The room literally has no soft furniture and is all tile and glass.  Besides copious amounts of sunlight, it's easy to clean.
Which means everyone will be confined to the 2 break rooms for lunches or on break.
JFC.

"I'm from the government ... I'm here to help."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Parker Dean

• friend
« Reply #1197 on: March 19, 2020, 12:16:13 PM »
Having truck drivers stop at rest areas would seem to be better than stopping at truck stops if the purpose is to avoid contact. 
Gotta have both. Parking for the legally required breaks has been a huge problem for drivers for years now but no one wants trucks around. Unless they're bringing TP in which case they're a hero until they're unloaded and then it's gtfo.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1198 on: March 19, 2020, 12:31:48 PM »
How stupid is my agency?
JFC.

The agency I support has just issued updated guidance. Currently 50% of the team works 1 week, the other 50% the other week.

They're now cutting that back to 25% of people at the office, with the other 25% in an on-call status.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #1199 on: March 19, 2020, 12:32:32 PM »
"Shelter in place".  "Hey, we have a hammer! That looks a little like a nail! Hit it, quick!"

Idiots. What do they think is going to happen after the order is lifted? The virus is magically going to disappear?
 This is going to continue until we either find a vaccine and time to make it and distribute it, or until enough people get sick, recover and have antibodies. They may be able to lower the rate of infection a bit, but it is going to come right back- then what are the going to do? close down the country again?

They are going to deal a very severe blow to the economy with all the panic. All the people out of work, all the downstream jobs that support them gone, it is going to leave a wreckage field. The most severe will be small biz, those without the pull to suck up for free money.

As far as I can tell, after reading past the headlines, this doom virus is just pulling demand forward- AKA, lot's of the old and the sick and especially the old and sick, are dying a few months sooner than they would have otherwise.
 Italy just stated 99% of their dead had underlying issues.

This is a socialist wet dream.