Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 440053 times)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #4900 on: February 06, 2021, 11:10:24 AM »
https://www.latimes.com/business/story/2021-01-29/airline-pilots-flight-errors-pandemic

Pilots are rusty due to decreased flight hours.  I wonder if they are spending more time in the simulators.

No, we aren't getting more sim time.  Sims are only for required training, which happens once a year, or for the pilots who need to get landing currency.  I am flying fewer hours, but still flying a full schedule.

In addition to the required training there is a bunch of training for people getting displaced into different aircraft or seats.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 11:34:25 AM by Fly320s »
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4901 on: February 06, 2021, 11:34:18 AM »
Boeing has some fancy simulator/training center down in south King County.  I have seen articles and pictures of it, and they are the full-motion full cockpit simulators on hydraulic jacks that pitch and turn.  I remember being impressed by the cost per hour charged to use the simulators, and even more impressed by the racks of the server farms necessary to run the place.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #4902 on: February 06, 2021, 11:54:59 AM »
Boeing has some fancy simulator/training center down in south King County.  I have seen articles and pictures of it, and they are the full-motion full cockpit simulators on hydraulic jacks that pitch and turn.  I remember being impressed by the cost per hour charged to use the simulators, and even more impressed by the racks of the server farms necessary to run the place.

Full motion sims are industry standard.  And yes, they are expensive to run, but much cheaper than a real airplane.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #4903 on: February 06, 2021, 02:01:58 PM »
Full motion sims are industry standard.  And yes, they are expensive to run, but much cheaper than a real airplane.

If you want to experience a full motion simulator all you have to do is visit the Pearl Harbor Aviation Museum and buy a ticket for their sim. More fun than most things in the tourist trap known as Hawaii! 

https://www.pearlharboraviationmuseum.org/attractions/fighter-ace-360o-flight-simulator/

bob

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #4904 on: February 06, 2021, 02:07:12 PM »
If you want to experience a full motion simulator all you have to do is visit the Pearl Harbor Aviation Museum and buy a ticket for their sim. More fun than most things in the tourist trap known as Hawaii! 

https://www.pearlharboraviationmuseum.org/attractions/fighter-ace-360o-flight-simulator/

bob

Very cool.  I didn't know there was anything fun at Pearl Harbor.  :/  Everyone should visit Pearl Harbor once, and bring some Kleenex when you do.

I'm too heavy for the simulator and even if I lose weight (working on it) am probably too tall to actually fit.
"It's good, though..."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4906 on: February 06, 2021, 04:00:01 PM »

bob

The only simulator I ever got to experience at Pearl was the full motion submarine "dive and drive" simulator. Yeah, wasn't open to the public. :D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4907 on: February 07, 2021, 05:55:01 PM »
Fistful's original posting showed a sheer mesh mask.  I suggest that you buy one, put it on, and go to your nearest local hospital, emergency room or skilled nursing facility and request entry.  Be sure to report back.

You mean a faux mask will only fool some of the people some of the time? Who knew?

So what happens if I get into a hospital wearing a "normal" mask, and then switch to the mesh one later on, when I get inside? Are they going to arrest me or something? ???

Also, the whole idea that all the masks have also kept flu numbers down - it prompts the question I've already been asking. If it's reasonable to demand that everyone wear masks everywhere, why haven't places like schools and hospitals been doing it for decades? Or why haven't teachers and nurses been wearing them as a matter of course?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #4908 on: February 08, 2021, 12:15:47 PM »

"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #4909 on: February 08, 2021, 01:21:55 PM »
Masks have always been grouped together with things like washing hands, keeping a certain distance from other people, sanitizing surfaces, etc. I guess you could throw in temperature checks.

Obviously, each area is different, but stores in St Louis County, MO, have been requiring masks since early July. Some have made people wait outside, only letting more customers in as the same number of customers left. But they don't enforce anything else. They might have hand sanitizer at the entrance, but they don't insist you use it. They might mark six-foot distances on the floor, but they don't police that, either. I don't think I've seen any places checking customers' temperatures.

What gives? Is this a local thing, or is it widespread?

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #4910 on: February 08, 2021, 01:28:28 PM »
All of the local stores are posted that a mask is required, and ask that people maintain a 6' distance.

Neither of which are enforced by the stores I've gone in - sometimes wearing a mask, sometimes not.  The employees in all do wear masks.

I haven't seen one Karen since this all started.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #4911 on: February 09, 2021, 08:33:10 AM »
They'll follow the trail of frozen fish sticks to the US followed by Biden apologizing to China

Whitewashing in progress? WHO investigating if Covid-19 was imported to China in frozen food
https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2021/02/09/whitewashing-in-progress-who-investigating-if-covid-19-was-imported-to-china-in-frozen-food/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4912 on: February 09, 2021, 09:11:58 AM »
WHO rules out further investigation into Covid-19 originating from lab: 'extremely unlikely to explain the introduction of the virus into the human population and is therefore not a hypothesis that implies future studies to support our work into understanding origin of the virus'
So that means the origin is almost certainly the lab in Wuhan. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4913 on: February 09, 2021, 09:17:37 AM »
Liang: Covid-19 can be found in frozen food and packaging. It has been found in the cold chain, indicating that it can be carried long-distance on cold-chain products.

But is the virus found in frozen food still virulent or dangerous? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4914 on: February 09, 2021, 09:30:36 AM »
But is the virus found in frozen food still virulent or dangerous?

This seems to be the direction that WHO is going, which opens up all kinds things that certainly could make masks much less of a priority in the greater scheme (if you buy this theory), and could certainly start another "grocery store shortage" if the MSM plays it their usual way.

Early on, those of us who pointed to the lab as the source, whether accidental or a bioweapon dry run, were and still are called crackpots. The machinations that WHO and others are going through to disprove that the virus originated in the lab are really becoming the crackpot theories. They are creating a practically Rube Goldberg chains of events to target some source other than the lab.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4915 on: February 09, 2021, 09:50:15 AM »

What gives? Is this a local thing, or is it widespread?

Both, neither, and a bunch of other stuff. Even regionally you can see wide variation. Some current stuff that i have experienced:

My small town is still doing the same as when this started a year ago. Practically no one ever wears masks, everyone goes on about their business, people shake hands when they meet, etc. No die outs of the population, including the elderly.

I'm taking a "farming for dummies" class at the university extension. The first night, because the syllabus said "masks required", we all showed up in them. Then someone asked what their enforcement deal was. The instructors said they just have to tell people, but they can't force anyone to wear one. Every single person in the class took off their mask, and we are a packed class. Certainly if this was a day class at the university itself versus an extension classroom, I suspect there would have been enforcement. Around half the class announced they had already tested positive for the virus.

Just so I don't come off as anti-mask biased, last night in class the substitute instructor said that the regular instructor would be off for a couple of weeks because she had just had a miscarriage. Her second one in a year. Correlation is not causation, but some might argue the possibility of the instructor having asymptomatic covid that affected the baby. Though that seems to potentially apply to only one miscarriage if there is any kind of months long immunity after catching the virus.

Lastly, Costco is one of the few places in the region (outside of Boise, where the mayor has a mask mandate) that is militant about people wearing masks when they enter. Everyone inside seems to keep them on, though there is zero social distancing in the store, and none is enforced. Except, as I found out last week, in the optics shop.

I went there to get new reading glasses. I had to stay socially distanced on the little circle until it was my turn. Then they took my temperature. Then I got to go behind the roped area. Then I had to be supervised to look at frames.  Each time I tried a frame, it was then taken and put in a "disinfecting bucket". It was a total pain, especially given that every time I tried a pair of glasses on, they fogged up and I couldn't see a thing. I was told sorry, but we can't let you remove the mask to try the glasses on (please explain restaurant dining then). I ended up holding my breath for as long as I was trying on each pair of glasses. I feel sorry for any elderly people that can't hold their breath trying to find new glasses.

Anyway, simply no rhyme or reason or standardization to anything anywhere.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4916 on: February 09, 2021, 10:17:58 AM »
Ben Embarek now keeping open the possibility of coronavirus being present in 'other countries' (before Wuhan).

Liang: Possibility of missed earlier circulation of Covid-19 in other locations. Suggesting a determination of review after global data.

Ah, so it's possible that this "deadly" virus was circulating and infecting people in other countries and just wasn't noticed before the events in Wuhan?
Yup, makes perfect sense.

If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #4917 on: February 09, 2021, 10:31:21 AM »
If a store requires a mask and is enforcing it then I wear a mask. If I see they aren't enforcing it then I'll typically take it off, if they don't care I don't care.

In Chicagoland Illinois there is nearly universal obedience to the governors diktat. Much looser in Indiana.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4918 on: February 09, 2021, 11:11:17 AM »
I wonder if this is going to be a situation like HIV, in which it was discovered it was in the human population at very low levels for years before the great upsurge.  If I recall correctly, HIV was first found in a sample from 1959 from a patient in the Congo.

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #4919 on: February 09, 2021, 04:37:19 PM »

The guy forgot to cover his ears, the dopus! (Can't tell from the photo if he has his anus and meatus covered ...)

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #4920 on: February 09, 2021, 06:50:17 PM »
As long as we're demanding that everyone follow all these rules to protect others from catching a virus that's not very dangerous to most people...

Aren't we going to completely ban alcoholic beverages, just to prevent drunk driving accidents?

Aren't we going to aggressively prosecute anyone having any kind of sex outside of marriage, to prevent STDs?

Aren't we going to outlaw pit bulls, chows, and other dogs known to be dangerous?

Aren't we going to require the law-abiding to carry firearms, for the defense of themselves and others? 

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #4921 on: February 09, 2021, 07:06:58 PM »
As long as we're demanding that everyone follow all these rules to protect others from catching a virus that's not very dangerous to most people...

Aren't we going to completely ban alcoholic beverages, just to prevent drunk driving accidents?

Aren't we going to aggressively prosecute anyone having any kind of sex outside of marriage, to prevent STDs?

Aren't we going to outlaw pit bulls, chows, and other dogs known to be dangerous?

Aren't we going to require the law-abiding to carry firearms, for the defense of themselves and others?

Probably.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #4922 on: February 09, 2021, 07:08:52 PM »
Probably.

Maybe not that last one.

In fact, you can look for extracurricular sex to be mandatory, if we keep electing the crazies.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4923 on: February 09, 2021, 07:14:07 PM »
Most prudent people don't get into car crashes or motorcycle collisions.  Why the unconstitutional infringement of seatbelts and motorcycle helmets?  If these laws were done away with, thousands of lives would be saved every year since there would be more organs available for transplant into the deserving.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #4924 on: February 09, 2021, 07:21:23 PM »
Most prudent people don't get into car crashes or motorcycle collisions.  Why the unconstitutional infringement of seatbelts and motorcycle helmets?  If these laws were done away with, thousands of lives would be saved every year since there would be more organs available for transplant into the deserving.

The insurance companies demanded they become laws.

There was no public outcry demanding government get involved. In fact in both cases there was a lot of grumbling from the public.

You still can go helmetless in Illinois, a helmet is not required.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.