Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 440205 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #4950 on: February 19, 2021, 12:33:29 PM »
I just got off the weekly COVID call with County Health.  With the increase of the various variants and varying degrees of effectiveness of the current vaccines against the variants, the CDC is thinking as to if we may eventually need an annual vaccine or booster, much like the annual flu.  Interesting. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #4951 on: February 19, 2021, 12:35:43 PM »
2 decades to slow the spread.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #4952 on: February 19, 2021, 12:38:32 PM »
So when can we ditch the face diapers?

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #4953 on: February 19, 2021, 12:50:19 PM »

You will learn to love your obedience muzzle.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4954 on: February 19, 2021, 12:53:35 PM »

The most recent (January 2021) clinical opinion I have heard on that is when 75% or so of the US population is vaccinated.  But I wonder if that may change due to the variants.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #4955 on: February 19, 2021, 12:57:52 PM »
Two generations to flatten the curve.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #4956 on: February 19, 2021, 01:21:43 PM »
The most recent (January 2021) clinical opinion I have heard on that is when 75% or so of the US population is vaccinated.  But I wonder if that may change due to the variants.

And how long will that take?  So far they’re getting about 2% per month.  At that rate it’ll be 3years to 75%, not counting the apparent need for at least annual boosters.

Even if that speeds up a lot, it’ll still be a year+ to get there.  And if they’re going to play games with mutations resetting the goal posts, I expect mask fatigue will be huge before we get to the point they “let” us unmask.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4957 on: February 19, 2021, 01:26:33 PM »
^^^As to that, I don't know.  I certainly hear the scuttlebutt about how the Feds and states are working to ramp up the immunization rate, but I don't know the projections. 

ETA: I just looked up the County data:  as of 2/13/2021, 18,416 second doses have been administered and are fully immunized.  Obviously, there are some people crossing county lines to get vaccine, but we have over 830,000 people in my county.  'Drop in the bucket' comes to mind.  We could be running our mass vaccination clinics every day if we had the vaccine, but we don't.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 01:44:05 PM by MillCreek »

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #4958 on: February 19, 2021, 02:06:01 PM »
The flu vaccine they’ve been pushing for years (decades?) barely, if even, gets half the population. 

Except for HPV, which is under 40%, most vaccinations are are at 85%+, but those are also very long lasting vaccines, not annual ones.  They’re also ones that have mostly been around for VERY long times, with well known safety and efficacy.  The newer ones (meningitis and varicella) took 4 or more years to reach 75% rates in teens. 

I’m guessing that we will never reach 75%, especially if that’s a “within the last year” kind of measurement.  And TPTB know that.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4959 on: February 19, 2021, 02:27:28 PM »
^^^In  healthcare, one of the typical quality metrics that you are graded on is pediatric immunizations: the HEDIS Combo 10 (https://www.rchsd.org/documents/2018/08/cis-childhood-immunization-status-cis.pdf/).  Depending on the demographics of your patient population and payor mix, we struggle to get above 50% of this metric.  Immunization is difficult and more difficult the more shots you have to give at different times.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #4960 on: February 19, 2021, 03:03:28 PM »

Out of curiosity, what was the source of that clinical opinion?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4961 on: February 19, 2021, 03:18:44 PM »

Fauci's fourth point of contact.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4962 on: February 19, 2021, 03:32:16 PM »

I have read in several sources of media quoting Dr. Fauci making that statement, and I think I have read similar opinions from other public health sources.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #4963 on: February 19, 2021, 03:37:23 PM »
I have read in several sources of media quoting Dr. Fauci making that statement, and I think I have read similar opinions from other public health sources.
Huh, I thought he had already admitted that his 70 to 75% was a manipulative lie by January.  By December he was saying 80 to 85 percent.

“When polls said only about half of all Americans would take a vaccine, I was saying herd immunity would take 70 to 75 percent. Then, when newer surveys said 60 percent or more would take it, I thought, ‘I can nudge this up a bit,’ so I went to 80, 85,” he said.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4964 on: February 19, 2021, 03:55:39 PM »
Huh, I thought he had already admitted that his 70 to 75% was a manipulative lie by January.  By December he was saying 80 to 85 percent.

I knew I had seen this just recently in my Google News feed:

https://ktla.com/news/nationworld/dr-fauci-keep-wearing-masks-for-several-several-months-while-vaccines-roll-out/

So he must have said this most recently a little over a week ago on 'Good Morning America'.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #4965 on: February 19, 2021, 05:46:08 PM »
So he must have said this most recently a little over a week ago on 'Good Morning America'.
Thanks.  Given that he's already publicly admitted that he lies about that specific figure to get people to behave differently it's hard for me to put much faith in whatever his current take is relating to herd immunity. 

I was hoping there was some sort of study that gave a number with some backing.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #4966 on: February 19, 2021, 06:22:54 PM »
He's worn so many holes in his flip flops that he most have a closet full of them.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4967 on: February 19, 2021, 06:56:07 PM »
He's worn so many holes in his flip flops that he most have a closet full of them.

Does he keep stepping on pop tops?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #4969 on: February 19, 2021, 11:50:13 PM »

I heard a report today that we might reach "herd immunity"  by mid to late April.   ;/   

So far most reports I've heard say the vaccine will work on the variants,  but not as effectively on the African version of THE ANDROMEDA STRAIN- - - - -oooops,  I mean covid 19. :facepalm:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4970 on: February 20, 2021, 08:13:00 AM »
$100 million of covid relief to go to building underground rail in Silicon Valley, where the average salary is like a bajillion dollars. They could pay for it out of their lunch money.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/house-covid-bill-millions-silicon-valley-transportation-project

ETA: Here's a bunch more.

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2021/02/20/mega-thread-breaks-down-where-all-of-the-covid-19-relief-money-in-the-house-bill-is-going-hint-not-to-you/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #4971 on: February 20, 2021, 04:49:30 PM »
A picture is worth a thousand words :rofl:

Maybe the US shouldn’t consider its own ‘Droplet Joe’ mascot to make vaccination less scary for kids
https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2021/02/20/maybe-the-us-shouldnt-consider-its-own-droplet-joe-mascot-to-make-vaccination-less-scary-for-kids/

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #4973 on: February 21, 2021, 03:28:03 PM »
Two generations to flatten the curve.

Never going to happen.  "They" will find more variants.
"Masks are for crooks and the Lone Ranger."
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #4974 on: February 22, 2021, 08:30:08 AM »
Move over Coivd19, here comes H5N8

Russia tells World Health Organization it has detected first case of avian flu strain in humans
https://www.wlky.com/article/russia-tells-world-health-organization-it-has-detected-first-case-of-avian-flu-strain-in-humans/35576369
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes