Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 440034 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #5175 on: April 16, 2021, 12:08:29 PM »
I drove through the more sane states while going to my uncle's memorial service.

In Illinois, masks are required, but no one in the downstate was enforcing it.
In Indiana, masks are "required" by the big corporations (e.g. hotels) but the locals don't enforce or abide by it. Independent gas station had a sign "masks are not required, but we recommend them!" Also no one wore a mask.
In Ohio, masks are required, but no one was enforcing it in the sane areas.
In West Virginia, masks are required and government workers will look angrily at you for ignoring it, but also won't stop you. The big corporations "require" masks, so the locals wear them on their chin while working.

I'm glad to see people realizing the folly of our "betters".
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #5176 on: April 16, 2021, 12:49:59 PM »
Budweiser offers a free "beer" to anyone who can prove they've been vaccinated:

https://idahonews.com/news/offbeat/budweiser-giving-away-free-beer-to-those-who-get-the-covid-19-vaccine

Since it's Budweiser, I'm not sure how much of an incentive that is.   :P
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5177 on: April 16, 2021, 02:15:04 PM »

Free donuts; free beer - I remember a whole year ago, when the incentive for getting a vaccine was, ya know, not getting sick. Between these incentives, and the messaging that you can't let your guard, or your mask, down after vaccination, it seems like "the science" says vaccines don't work, but you're morally obligated to have them.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #5178 on: April 17, 2021, 06:18:36 PM »
Shots every year?

Chief Medical Officer Dr. Jason Smith at UofL Health said it appears, no matter the vaccine, a booster will be needed yearly. He added that by the end of the year, there should be a clearer picture of when the boosters will be needed.

COVID-19 shots likely here to stay; research points to need for yearly boosters
https://www.wave3.com/2021/04/16/covid-shots-likely-here-stay-research-points-need-yearly-boosters/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5179 on: April 17, 2021, 06:36:47 PM »
Shots every year?

COVID-19 shots likely here to stay; research points to need for yearly boosters
https://www.wave3.com/2021/04/16/covid-shots-likely-here-stay-research-points-need-yearly-boosters/

I haven't seen anything, and I wonder if guidance will change in a year, but am curious if in a year from now I could just go get the booster, having had covid, but not having had the initial vaccine? Or even if people who haven't had either covid, or the initial vaccine, might in a year or two just be told to get the booster, the same as they get the annual flu shot?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #5180 on: April 17, 2021, 06:48:59 PM »
I think this is all speculation at this point in time.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #5181 on: April 17, 2021, 07:05:06 PM »
It makes sense to me (not a medic of any sort but an engineer) that we'll have yearly boosters for this for a while.  Just like the annual flu shots we have now.  I think Covid is with us for a long time, but will quickly be just an annoyance like the common cold.  Maybe even less than the cold because of the vaccine.  That is, it the politics will ever take a back seat.

I'm wondering if the mRNA vaccine research this has prompted might accelerate things like cancer treatments?  I just visited with a college buddy a few days ago who has stage 4 prostate cancer.  (he's doing good right now but the prognosis long-term is grim) Thinking that might be treatable with a vaccine someday.
"It's good, though..."

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #5182 on: April 17, 2021, 11:24:41 PM »
It makes sense to me (not a medic of any sort but an engineer) that we'll have yearly boosters for this for a while.  Just like the annual flu shots we have now.  I think Covid is with us for a long time, but will quickly be just an annoyance like the common cold.  Maybe even less than the cold because of the vaccine.  That is, it the politics will ever take a back seat.

I'm wondering if the mRNA vaccine research this has prompted might accelerate things like cancer treatments?  I just visited with a college buddy a few days ago who has stage 4 prostate cancer.  (he's doing good right now but the prognosis long-term is grim) Thinking that might be treatable with a vaccine someday.

Well, I'm not saying we won't need yearly boosters, we might.  I'm just saying that, right now, we really don't know.  If we do I will worry about it next year.

I've never had a flu shot before,  but in September 2020 I finally did get one.  So if it turns out we need a ANDROMEDA STRAIN - - - - oooops, covid 19 yearly booster,  big deal I'll just get that too.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #5183 on: April 18, 2021, 09:03:16 AM »
Time for your booster

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #5184 on: April 18, 2021, 02:09:24 PM »
Enjoy

‘All Jim ever wanted to be was an astronaut’: Year-long thread chronicles the depths of COVID-19 fashion and lifestyle
https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2021/04/17/all-jim-ever-wanted-to-be-was-an-astronaut-year-long-thread-chronicles-the-depths-of-covid-19-fashion-and-lifestyle/
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5185 on: April 21, 2021, 01:33:59 PM »
Don't wear a mask when the camera is on you, but make sure you put them on during commercial breaks:

https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2021/04/21/absolutely-ridiculous-reported-mask-policy-for-celebs-attending-academy-awards-just-reeks-of-science/

;/ ;/ ;/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #5186 on: April 21, 2021, 02:42:27 PM »
Don't wear a mask when the camera is on you, but make sure you put them on during commercial breaks:

https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2021/04/21/absolutely-ridiculous-reported-mask-policy-for-celebs-attending-academy-awards-just-reeks-of-science/

;/ ;/ ;/

They just reveeled how their spreading teh ronna!!11 It's in the commerciuls!!!!111111 Don't watch teh mershals!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #5187 on: April 22, 2021, 05:48:03 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5189 on: April 23, 2021, 12:55:19 PM »
Easier to pull off a ringer if they are wearing a mask.
 [tinfoil]
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #5190 on: April 23, 2021, 01:50:18 PM »
Maybe the mask catches the drool. Next, he'll start wearing a tinted face shield, so it won't be so embarrassing when he nods off.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #5191 on: April 23, 2021, 07:45:19 PM »
Easier to pull off a ringer if they are wearing a mask.
 [tinfoil]

Hillary already tried the body double thing back in 2016 so it wouldn't surprise in the least.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5192 on: April 25, 2021, 06:20:37 PM »
So apparently covid is running rampant in India, and the Indian government asked Twitter to remove tweets, including those of Indian Legislators, that were critical of the government. Twitter complied.

Kinda ties into the censorship threads, but as I have always said, when Twitter first came out, and before it turned into a dumpster fire, I thought it was a good structure for messages in emergencies, inside hostile regimes, etc. Turns out not so much when the people who run the software will happily comply with governments wanting to put the kibosh on free speech.

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2021/04/25/jonathan-turley-calls-out-twitter-for-censoring-critics-of-the-indian-governments-handling-of-covid-19/

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5193 on: April 27, 2021, 12:11:45 PM »
There has been a great deal of censorship around COVID-19 all in the cause of eliminating "misinformation". 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5194 on: April 27, 2021, 12:16:22 PM »
Are people still wearing masked everywhere in your area? 

Since Texas removed the restrictions they had, the only two places locally that are still requiring masks are the grocery store and Buc-ees.  Most places it has become voluntary.  Some still wear a mask, others don't.  Visiting Academy lately, it is around 50/50, maybe less.  Very few people are wearing masks outside, but few did that before.

Sunday, I was out on a walk and saw a young guy jogging with a mask.  He was wearing what looked like a weighted backpack so I assume he had reasons.   
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #5195 on: April 27, 2021, 02:48:22 PM »
Governor Brown still has her reich on lock down.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5196 on: April 27, 2021, 06:29:27 PM »
In most of the places I visit in Idaho, people at the very least are pretty much not wearing masks outside, and other than "mandatory" places like Costco, a lot fewer people are wearing them inside. There are plenty of places that still have the "mandatory" sign on the front door, but they (unlike Costco) are not enforcing it.

Unmasked people in those places are not attacked by Karens, and masked people are also left alone to wear their mask if that's what they want. I seem to see the same philosophy in Easter Oregon, though as KGB mentioned, there are still state mandates there so I see more people in masks. No real enforcement though.

This week I am in CA, and it was almost a shock to see everyone outside everywhere with masks. I have not been following that, but am way in the minority. I also see a lot of people driving alone in their cars with a mask on. I'm already irritated in having to constantly walk back to my car to get a mask because I was going into a place where no one cares in ID, but you get accosted here.

Just three hours ago, I was helping my 93 year old aunt walk into the restaurant where we were having a get together group lunch in a private room, and the hostess told me I had to go back out and get a mask. As I was holding my aunt up at the time, I ignored her and continued walking the 20 stinking feet into our reserved room, where she said we didn't need a mask.

The Best Westerns in Nevada have been sticklers for masks at the registration desk, and said you need them everywhere outside of your room, but other than the front desk, I was blowing that off and no one has said anything.

Anyway, it has been weird seeing the variance, especially between ID and CA.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #5197 on: April 27, 2021, 07:00:56 PM »
If you get censored, it means you were doing something to make you worth censoring...

Blog under construction

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #5198 on: April 29, 2021, 11:00:45 PM »
Only someone else's money

Video shows pallets of ventilators dumped in Miami-Dade landfill
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPw19AGleDI
- Calvin and Hobbes

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #5199 on: April 30, 2021, 05:25:50 AM »
In most of the places I visit in Idaho, people at the very least are pretty much not wearing masks outside, and other than "mandatory" places like Costco, a lot fewer people are wearing them inside. There are plenty of places that still have the "mandatory" sign on the front door, but they (unlike Costco) are not enforcing it.

Unmasked people in those places are not attacked by Karens, and masked people are also left alone to wear their mask if that's what they want. I seem to see the same philosophy in Easter Oregon, though as KGB mentioned, there are still state mandates there so I see more people in masks. No real enforcement though.

This week I am in CA, and it was almost a shock to see everyone outside everywhere with masks. I have not been following that, but am way in the minority. I also see a lot of people driving alone in their cars with a mask on. I'm already irritated in having to constantly walk back to my car to get a mask because I was going into a place where no one cares in ID, but you get accosted here.

Just three hours ago, I was helping my 93 year old aunt walk into the restaurant where we were having a get together group lunch in a private room, and the hostess told me I had to go back out and get a mask. As I was holding my aunt up at the time, I ignored her and continued walking the 20 stinking feet into our reserved room, where she said we didn't need a mask.

The Best Westerns in Nevada have been sticklers for masks at the registration desk, and said you need them everywhere outside of your room, but other than the front desk, I was blowing that off and no one has said anything.

Anyway, it has been weird seeing the variance, especially between ID and CA.

The ones wearing a mask outside away from other people and in their car are insufferable virtue signaling *expletive deleted*s. Like my wife’s cousin...she’s in her early 30s and perfectly healthy but is so far stuck up the donkey party’s ass that she did not leave the house for a year until she got a vaccine a month ago out of fear and virtue signaling.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!