Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 444027 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #5400 on: July 26, 2021, 08:07:54 AM »
Interesting that 1.5 years later, we really should be wearing N95 masks, not the emotional protection masks we were told to wear when N95s weren't available to regular people.

Americans should be wearing N95 masks for greater protection against the highly contagious COVID-19 Delta variant, according to Dr. Scott Gottlieb, former head of the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

Gottlieb told CBS News’s “Face the Nation” on Sunday that the quality of a mask matters in protecting against the strain, which was first identified in India in late 2020, and currently makes up approximately 83 percent of all new sequenced COVID-19 cases in the United States, according to federal officials.

“If you’re going to consider wearing a mask, the quality of the masks does matter,” he said. “So if you can get your hands on a KN95 mask or an N95 mask, that’s going to afford you a lot more protection.”

Experts say that medical-grade respirators such as N95 masks offer greater protection against more infectious strains of COVID-19, such as Delta, which is believed to be more transmissible than other versions. It is also now the dominant variant of the CCP (Chinese Communist Party) virus worldwide.

Compared to more commonly worn surgical masks or cloth face coverings, when worn properly, N95s fit more closely to the face and provide at least 95 percent protection level against airborne viruses, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

Meanwhile KN95s, which work similarly to N95 masks, are regulated by the Chinese government. They were authorized by the CDC as a suitable alternative for N95s due to shortages during the onset of the pandemic last year, although some have since raised concerns that the majority of non-certified KN95 masks from China do not meet U.S. standards for effectiveness.

More at:

https://www.theepochtimes.com/n-95-masks-provide-a-lot-more-protection-former-fda-commissioner_3918293.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #5401 on: July 26, 2021, 08:21:56 AM »
Looked over at the car next to me about a week ago and the guy is wearing a face mask, full face shield, and covered in plastic, while driving
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5402 on: July 26, 2021, 09:14:37 AM »
Looked over at the car next to me about a week ago and the guy is wearing a face mask, full face shield, and covered in plastic, while driving

Sounds like some unhealthy paranoia right there.  I've seen folks around here driving while wearing both face masks and shields, but never covered in plastic.  A little less of the unhealthy paranoia, I guess.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #5403 on: July 26, 2021, 02:38:04 PM »
I've said it before; If it ain't got a HEPA filter in it, those masks are like surrounding your house with a chain link fence to keep out the mosquitoes. :old:

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5404 on: July 26, 2021, 04:10:00 PM »
I've said it before; If it ain't got a HEPA filter in it, those masks are like surrounding your house with a chain link fence to keep out the mosquitoes. :old:

Woody

I think a chainlink fence would have at least slowed down the ones that were working me over this morning.  The Deep woods Off i was using must be their favorite condiment.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #5406 on: July 26, 2021, 08:21:45 PM »
I think a chainlink fence would have at least slowed down the ones that were working me over this morning.  The Deep woods Off i was using must be their favorite condiment.

Yeah, sometimes you gotta surround yourself with a ring of fire around here.

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #5407 on: July 26, 2021, 08:32:07 PM »
Yeah, sometimes you gotta surround yourself with a ring of fire around here.

Woody

Some people on twitter were joking that the mosquitoes are so thick at Boca Chica that when SpaceX lights the first full up super (30 raptors) it will smell like burnt mosquitoes down there for a while
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5408 on: July 26, 2021, 09:18:48 PM »
Mosquitoes are absolutely awful here this year. To keep it on topic, I'm worried more about the bazillion bites I've gotten in the last few weeks giving me the West Nile virus more than I am about getting the Delta variant of the covid.  :laugh:

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5409 on: July 27, 2021, 09:38:42 AM »
Mosquitoes have always been pretty bad in my community. When I first moved in they were the standard Brown mosquito, but about 20 years ago the Asian Tiger Mosquito moved in and quickly became the dominant breed. Those little aholes are persistent, and vicious. There were a couple areas of the community that you simply couldn't use this time of the year the mosquitoes were so bad.

Last year we started fogging the community with a natural cedar oil spray that kills mosquitoes, ticks, fleas, and gnats. Three applications a summer, and it's also supposed to be bee safe.

It's made a HUGE difference. I can now walk Seren through the community without us being swarmed.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5410 on: July 27, 2021, 10:08:43 AM »

Last year we started fogging the community with a natural cedar oil spray that kills mosquitoes, ticks, fleas, and gnats. Three applications a summer, and it's also supposed to be bee safe.

It's made a HUGE difference. I can now walk Seren through the community without us being swarmed.

Interesting. Do you happen to know the product name? The county here is actually really good about running their fogger truck into the rural areas, and it even comes down my long driveway and does a lap around the house. They also send their ATV crews out twice a year to hit my pastures with some water activated granular stuff.

This year has been particularly bad though, and I've been using a fogger around the house with whatever the mosquito chemical that starts with a "P" is. Limited effectiveness and I hate spraying that much chemical. I wear a respirator, but I can still smell it on me afterwards.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #5411 on: July 27, 2021, 10:12:33 AM »
When a parody site meme is closer to the truth than anything coming out of the MSM

- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5412 on: July 27, 2021, 10:53:10 AM »
Not sure which one the company uses, but it's cedar oil based.

You can google cedar oil mosquito control and get a lot of different brands.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #5413 on: July 27, 2021, 07:42:56 PM »
Interesting. Do you happen to know the product name? The county here is actually really good about running their fogger truck into the rural areas, and it even comes down my long driveway and does a lap around the house. They also send their ATV crews out twice a year to hit my pastures with some water activated granular stuff.

This year has been particularly bad though, and I've been using a fogger around the house with whatever the mosquito chemical that starts with a "P" is. Limited effectiveness and I hate spraying that much chemical. I wear a respirator, but I can still smell it on me afterwards.

Least your county is on it's game.

For the later, was it Permethrin?  That stuff is magic when applied to clothing.  I've had pretty good luck with it as a barrier to keep insects out of the house.

https://www.domyown.com/permethrin-sfr-368-p-445.html

"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5414 on: July 27, 2021, 08:49:45 PM »
For the later, was it Permethrin?  That stuff is magic when applied to clothing.  I've had pretty good luck with it as a barrier to keep insects out of the house.

https://www.domyown.com/permethrin-sfr-368-p-445.html

Yes, but  I think I have some weak ass variety or something. I'm gonna order from your link and try that. I don't mind snortin' chemical if it's only once a month. That might work good around some wet areas in my pastures too. Thanks for the link!

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #5415 on: July 27, 2021, 09:34:16 PM »
I get the big jug from the farm store. Mix it with water in the sprayer. Works good on the yard.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #5416 on: July 27, 2021, 09:38:42 PM »
Yes, but  I think I have some weak ass variety or something. I'm gonna order from your link and try that. I don't mind snortin' chemical if it's only once a month. That might work good around some wet areas in my pastures too. Thanks for the link!

My pleasure,  hope it works for you.

Couple of vids:

https://youtu.be/NcWrSxvUJLE

https://youtu.be/xNuJWeysVrI

As for application on clothes,  I've used it .mil and civilian.  The Corpsmen would toss all the camies on the ground and hose them with this stuff before we went to Africa or SE Asia.  When we got there,  bugs would land on clothing and *expletive deleted*ing die.  It was magic  >:D

Works just as good if you're planning to go hiking/backpacking.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #5417 on: July 27, 2021, 09:54:47 PM »
Some people on twitter were joking that the mosquitoes are so thick at Boca Chica that when SpaceX lights the first full up super (30 raptors) it will smell like burnt mosquitoes down there for a while

That has always been true.

I used to work in Brownsville.  That whole are is nothing but filled-in swamp.  The mosquitos were never ending.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #5418 on: July 27, 2021, 10:35:40 PM »
That has always been true.

I used to work in Brownsville.  That whole are is nothing but filled-in swamp.  The mosquitos were never ending.

Maybe you should and it to your chemtrails.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #5420 on: July 28, 2021, 04:01:33 PM »

Maybe he was trying to lose some weight and was "sweating it off" in a plastic sauna suit.  :facepalm:
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #5421 on: July 28, 2021, 09:52:14 PM »

I recall early 2020 when the ANDROMEDA STRAIN  - - - - - - ooooops, covid19 pandemic was just starting seeing news clips of parents sending their kids to school all wrapped up, head to foot, in plastic garbage bags cut into a crude .... "biohazard" (  [tinfoil]  )  suit.   
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #5422 on: July 28, 2021, 10:42:15 PM »
I recall early 2020 when the ANDROMEDA STRAIN  - - - - - - ooooops, covid19 pandemic was just starting seeing news clips of parents sending their kids to school all wrapped up, head to foot, in plastic garbage bags cut into a crude .... "biohazard" (  [tinfoil]  )  suit.

They were doing the best they could with the pretty-much useless information we had at the time. 

I was stuck at my parents' house then, going out once a week to Walmart during senior hours (I was old enough, my brother not quite) wearing an old N-95 mask that I washed so I could reuse it because we only had a few, then everything coming in the house got bleached or Lysol'd, including me.  Clothes went straight in the washer (hot water) and I took a shower.  My brother went back and sprayed everything I touched (like the doorknobs) with Lysol or alcohol.  When I went to the gas station, after filling up I washed my hands with rubbing alcohol before getting back in the car, then wiped down the alcohol bottle. I knew most of that that was overkill but I didn't know what part or how much.
"It's good, though..."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5423 on: July 28, 2021, 11:42:42 PM »
We have a lot of coastal wetlands and salt marshes in this county.  The local county alone has 3 airplanes to spray.  I don't know how many trucks they have.  That usually keeps them tolerable if you wear pants or use OFF.  I hate to think what it would be like if none of that existed.  The big salt marsh mosquitos are aggressive. 

In the past, I have used those sprays you attach to your hose to spray the yard.  It kills all the bugs in the yard, not just mosquitos.  I haven't done that in a while. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #5424 on: July 29, 2021, 01:26:33 AM »
TLDR, and...

Here in St. Louis, we have had 538 casualties total since the start WITH the 'Rona. Mostly over age 70, mostly in skilled nursing facilities, hospice, etc... - serious failure to contain nosocomial infection, but we can't talk about that... Nope...

We have had 370 murders.

<both figures from this morning's perusal of the City webjunk>

I'm a LOT more worried about some yout in a mask walking in the door my store and starting shooting than I am about catching something that kills mostly octogenarians.
Blog under construction