Author Topic: Best pasta sauce ever?  (Read 7707 times)

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 10:06:59 PM by just Warren »
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Best pasta sacue ever?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2020, 01:32:40 AM »
https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/544003/pasta-sauce-hailed-worlds-best-surprisingly-easy-make-home

Sounds great!

That's very close to how I make tomato soup.  (That plus 2 cups of water is the recipe I started with, but it's too bland)

It's probably a decent pasta sauce, but I don't believe all the hype.
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2020, 07:32:34 AM »
Yeah.... no.

First off, the tomatoes should be seeded. Seeds can make the sauce bitter.

Secondly, even after 45 minutes I'm not sure that the tomatoes would break down sufficiently to make a decent sauce.

Lastly, no freaking herbs or spices? Yeah... no thanks.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2020, 08:35:35 PM »
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2020, 05:58:25 PM »
Yeah.... no.

Secondly, even after 45 minutes I'm not sure that the tomatoes would break down sufficiently to make a decent sauce.

Thanks for the seed tip.  =)

cordex

• Administrator
Re: Best pasta sauce ever?
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2020, 08:18:43 AM »
Has anyone here actually tried it?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2020, 08:31:46 AM »
I may give it a whirl this weekend if I'm feeling like being underwhelmed.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2020, 08:50:10 AM »
I may give it a whirl this weekend if I'm feeling like being underwhelmed.

Make it straight the first time, then when [I predict] it sucks, you can fix it -- because it's probably almost good.  Add some black pepper, garlic and oregano, and maybe use a beef bouillon cube instead of the salt.  Oh, and chop up the cooked onion and add it back.  OTOH, maybe it actually is good just like it is, but there is so much hype about it I don't see how.

My tomato soup recipe is based on this recipe but watered down.  The first try, when I followed the recipe exactly was pretty bad but I thought it had potential.  All what it needed to be a decent soup (with a little trial and error) was celery, bouillon, and a just little sugar.  I blend it up with a stick blender, then run it thru a seive to get the remaining celery strings and any tomato skins and seeds out.
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2020, 09:17:43 AM »
You and I are pretty much 100% in agreement of what it likely will need. I can't imagine a tomato sauce without garlic, basil, and oregano. I also can't imagine it without white wine; I always use white wine when I make tomato sauce at home. Alcohol liberates flavor compounds that water and fat won't.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2020, 09:38:51 AM »
You and I are pretty much 100% in agreement of what it likely will need. I can't imagine a tomato sauce without garlic, basil, and oregano. I also can't imagine it without white wine; I always use white wine when I make tomato sauce at home. Alcohol liberates flavor compounds that water and fat won't.

Any reason not to use red wine?  I don't cook w/ wine so I don't know, but I often have a box of Vella burgundy open.  (I'm not going to open any soon; I'm abstaining from alcohol for Lent and don't want a half bottle of wine or an open box to tempt me)

I saw Jamie Oliver cooking some lasagna on TV recently, and he just used fresh sage for the herbs (instead of oregano, basil, thyme, etc)  Might be interesting...
"It's good, though..."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2020, 10:52:40 AM »
I also would like Mike's input on the white wine.  I almost always pour in a glug or two of a hearty red.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2020, 11:01:21 AM »
I use white wine because I generally prefer (and have on hand) white wine, but red wines work perfectly, as well.

I've never been much of a red wine drinker, but I really enjoy a lot of whites, and whenever I cook with wine I like to have a glass.

But, I've started using more red wines in my cooking, particularly Malbec for chili and Burgundy and Pinot Noir for stew, though, so adding whatever kind of wine you have on hand (or even hard spirits like gin or vodka) is perfectly OK.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2020, 01:11:12 PM »
I've used vodka and bourbon in pastry dough.  Works well.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2020, 01:51:38 PM »
I've used vodka and bourbon in pastry dough.  Works well.

That application is generally less for flavor and more for cutting down on gluten formation. The alcohol provides hydration to the flour, but it won't allow the two proteins in the flour to interact to form gluten.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2020, 03:20:35 PM »
On white vs red, comes down to flavor profiles. For things like a basic tomato sauce or with chicken, white tends to interact better. Red with beef or pork sauces.

That said, the recipe is rubbish.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2020, 03:24:36 PM »

I can't either, but maybe we just aren't imaginative enough. :)  It won't be a traditional sauce but it will taste like cooked tomatoes, and it's creamy from the butter.  Garlic and basil and pepper flakes, etc. might get in the way (I don't think so)

"It's good, though..."

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2020, 08:26:56 PM »
Yeah.... no.

Yeah, no basil, oregano, etc., what's the point?  A can of Ragu might have more flavor...

Anyone got a good meat sauce recipe?
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2020, 08:43:06 PM »
Google "world's best lasagna recipe".

I started making this lasagna I found at allrecipes.com and use the leftover sauce as pasta sauce.

Of course I tweek it a bit.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2020, 07:41:17 AM »
"Anyone got a good meat sauce recipe?"

I made Alton Brown's meat sauce once.

It's really fantastic, but it has a LOT of moving parts.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/meat-sauce-and-spaghetti-recipe-1917618

I eat a lot of pasts and ground turkey. I have it, on average, 3 times a week during the week. It's quick, easy, and I can control the portion sizes. I also throw in frozen broccoli to quickly cook with the pasta.

Anymore, though, I'm not eating a lot of red sauce... I'm using an olive oil, herb, and lemon juice sauce.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2020, 07:51:04 AM »
Well, I bought the can of tomatoes, but I decided to make a meatloaf instead of pasta for dinner.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2020, 09:00:46 AM »

I wonder if no garlic, herbs, or spices might be a northern Italy thing? 
"It's good, though..."

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2020, 09:52:28 AM »
I wonder if no garlic, herbs, or spices might be a northern Italy thing? 

Some of the historic deep dish pizza places in Chicago have sauces that are very very lightly seasoned compared to traditional thin crust pizzas.

The seasoning and flavor come primarily from the meat(s) and toppings.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2020, 10:13:20 AM »
That makes sense when you're talking about a complex dish that has multiple ingredients.

But when the dish is simple, with essentially 1 main ingredient (pasta)? I just don't see it.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2020, 10:42:31 AM »
That makes sense when you're talking about a complex dish that has multiple ingredients.

But when the dish is simple, with essentially 1 main ingredient (pasta)? I just don't see it.

I've been trying to perfect making my own deep dish pizza as I'm hoping to be out of Illinois in the near future and won't have easy access to legit DD.

After trying both lightly seasoned and more traditional pizza sauce recipes Ive been going with the more traditionaly seasoned sauce.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2020, 11:16:22 AM »
Yeah, no basil, oregano, etc., what's the point?  A can of Ragu might have more flavor...

Anyone got a good meat sauce recipe?

My wife has a recipe for her sauce. She comes from old school Italian cooking, if the sauce hasn't simmered for 12 hours or so it isn't fit for human consumption. It is usually a two day process for her, but there are always lots of leftovers to be frozen and used on lasagna or other pasta.

bob