Author Topic: Best pasta sauce ever?  (Read 7709 times)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Re: Best pasta sacue ever?
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2020, 11:54:36 AM »
My wife has a recipe for her sauce. She comes from old school Italian cooking, if the sauce hasn't simmered for 12 hours or so it isn't fit for human consumption. It is usually a two day process for her, but there are always lots of leftovers to be frozen and used on lasagna or other pasta.

bob

Tomatoes are high in lectins. The 12 hour simmer is probably enough to break them down.

The leaky gut people blame lectins in our food for the preponderance of inflammatory issues.

Problem is, nearly everything has lectins.

I don't buy into it but it is a data point.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Best pasta sauce ever?
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2020, 02:36:44 PM »
If it doesn't have lectins, sulfites, and MSG, I ain't eatin' it!

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2020, 06:32:22 PM »
Not the best pasta sauce ever. Not even close.

Better than I expected, but I wanted more flavor.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2020, 07:36:26 PM »
Thanks for the report!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2020, 06:38:04 AM »
OK, that was from my phone. Let me give a longer report...

First off, I used Hunt's whole plum tomatoes. I was very happy to see that they were already largely seeded and I didn't have to worry about that. What seeds were left I got out of the liquid using a fine sieve. Yes, some seeds in the sauce, but no huge deal.

Second, they weren't kidding that 5 tablespoons of butter look weird in there. And, once they melt down, the sauce still looks kind of weird.

45 minutes wasn't, as I suspected, nearly long enough, at least not long enough to reduce the sauce to a thickness I like. I ended up going nearly double that time and it was still a bit thin. I also used a tall, narrow sauce pot, which was a mistake.

I also only had 1 small onion, compliments of the Kung Flu panic monkeys cleaning them all out. I should have added some onion powder, but I didn't.

As I suspected, 45 minutes was also not long enough to really break the tomatoes down. I ended up hitting it with my stick blender to break it up some more.

The taste....

The taste was good. I think the butter had a lot to do with that, and I'm going to use butter in my future sauces instead of olive oil. It was on the sweet side, which I kind of like in my pasta sauces, but it was VERY mild. I served it with rigatoni, broccoli, and pan fried cod. You know the taste is mild when cod overwhelms it. With straight pasta it might be OK, but if you have other ingredients in the dish it might be too mild. The broccoli? Yeah, the broccoli took its lunch money and kicked it into a mud puddle.

All in all, I want, and I really missed, the traditional flavors associated with pasta sauce -- the sweet tang of basil, the earthy pungency of garlic, the bite of oregano.

So, interesting attempt. It was easy, but for me, to make a really good pasta sauce, it needs more parts and more effort.

As posited below, I think this could be a decent pizza sauce, but I still think it would need at least some more flavor to be successful in that role, as well.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2020, 10:35:37 PM »
Resurrecting this to say that this past weekend I had the best jarred pasta sauce I've ever had, and it really stood tall with the best homemade pasta sauces I've ever had.

Rao's Homemade.

Friends get it at Costco. No artificial ingredients at all.

I've seen it in my local stores, but it's always been obscenely expensive... upwards $10 a bottle.

Half that at Costco, which is still expensive, but my God it's good sauce.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2020, 12:02:45 PM »
I made it. Its.... ok, at best.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2020, 12:08:20 PM »
I made it. Its.... ok, at best.

The sauce is mostly hype.  Use more water, add a little celery, and use a beef bouillon cube instead of salt and it makes a good tomato soup.  (have I said that already?)
"It's good, though..."