Poll

How many people do you know who have tested positive.

38 (48.7%)
9 (11.5%)
7 (9%)
3-5
6 (7.7%)
6 +
8 (10.3%)
I know of someone through a trusted source I personally know
8 (10.3%)
I have first hand knowledge of someone one through my job
2 (2.6%)

Total Members Voted: 78

Author Topic: Personal impact of the Wuhan Virus  (Read 55317 times)

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
Re: Personal impact of the Wuhan Virus
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2020, 01:45:17 PM »

Moved to a new thread.

Terry
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 08:44:47 PM by 230RN »

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2020, 06:39:41 PM »
Former coworker and friend of a friend apparently has symptoms.  Haven't seen or communicated with the guy in over 10 years though so I'm sticking with 0 in the poll for now.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2020, 08:13:36 AM »
Headline in SWVA this morning: Still no cases in our region.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2020, 09:15:51 AM »
Not a known case, but personal impact:

My deployment just got extended.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2020, 09:26:12 AM »
Not a known case, but personal impact:

My deployment just got extended.

That sucks, man. As I recall, you weren't happy about this one in the first place.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2020, 09:52:51 AM »
Still a few degrees of separation away.
Shipping worker at my site self-quarantined after his wife had contact with someone confirmed infected.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2020, 09:55:30 AM »
My new PCP was more concerned about the fact that I didn't have a flu shot and gave me a vaccine for pneumonia. Her only comment to me about Corvid-19 was "Don't get it."

I am high risk. A study came out of Europe showed that patients with adrenal insufficiency are even more screwed than other immunosuppressed patients. *shrug* But then again, the regular flu can screw me over too.

Pneumovax was the worst reaction I've ever gotten from a shot. Weak, and chills, and felt like I had a significant case of the flu. Hopefully that means it really "took" with me.
I promise not to duck.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2020, 09:56:48 AM »
Pneumovax was the worst reaction I've ever gotten from a shot. Weak, and chills, and felt like I had a significant case of the flu. Hopefully that means it really "took" with me.

Hmm. I had that one last spring and it didn't cause me any problems at all.

Barack Obama

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2020, 10:00:50 AM »
Hmm. I had that one last spring and it didn't cause me any problems at all.

It was Pneumovax and Flu at the same time so that could have been why, but I've never reacted to a Flu shot before. Not even a bit of aches, sniffles, or the post nasal sore throat type stuff they warn you about over the next 72 hours.

I promise not to duck.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2020, 10:03:27 AM »
It was Pneumovax and Flu at the same time so that could have been why, but I've never reacted to a Flu shot before. Not even a bit of aches, sniffles, or the post nasal sore throat type stuff they warn you about over the next 72 hours.

I quit getting the flu shot because I had a reaction almost every time.  The straw for me was i got the shot one year, had a reaction with mild flu symptoms, and then 2 months later caught the full blown flu for a few days. 
I've had better luck with not getting the shot.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

brimic

• friends
« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2020, 10:08:50 AM »

I refused the Flu shot....last time I got one a few years back, I got pretty sick, as in the first time I ever got the flu.

Barack Obama

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #61 on: March 18, 2020, 10:41:49 AM »
With four kids and a wife who's got anemia everybody gets sick in my house but me. Or I get a really mild case, some sniffles, a minor sore throat, or a gut cramp or two. It's been years and years since I've truly felt ill from an actual virus.

Since I've got all the risk factors other than age, I'm really hoping that pattern holds for me with Covid, that I've got a really good immune system or some other factor going on, because living in this petri dish, I can't fathom it's luck.
I promise not to duck.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #62 on: March 18, 2020, 11:01:28 AM »
With four kids and a wife who's got anemia everybody gets sick in my house but me. Or I get a really mild case, some sniffles, a minor sore throat, or a gut cramp or two. It's been years and years since I've truly felt ill from an actual virus.

Since I've got all the risk factors other than age, I'm really hoping that pattern holds for me with Covid, that I've got a really good immune system or some other factor going on, because living in this petri dish, I can't fathom it's luck.

I survived Human Parvovirus- I wanted to die for weeks. I hope Covid-19 isn't as bad.

Barack Obama

brimic

• friends
« Reply #63 on: March 18, 2020, 11:26:28 AM »
Our site puts out treats every Wednesday morning- donuts, fruit, Hummus+Pita chips, yogurt, muffins, or bagels. Wednesday treats are now cancelled until further notice because of the the wuflu.

Its time to nuke China.

Barack Obama

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #64 on: March 18, 2020, 01:18:04 PM »

I haven't noticed anything but I have had symptoms of my cortisol being lower since I got it.  =|
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #65 on: March 18, 2020, 01:38:16 PM »
For some reason I decided to get a flu shot this year. The last flu shot I had was in 1991, the flu season before I got out of the Navy. I used to routinely go 2+ years between getting any nasty winter time bugs. I think in large part because I tend to avoid people. After they moved me to the big office int Downtown Tulsa two years ago I've been sick twice. So far (knock wood) I haven't been sick this season.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

JonnyB

• friend
« Reply #66 on: March 18, 2020, 07:10:13 PM »
Mrs. B. will be caring for her elderly parents all by herself. Cleaning, cooking, all manner of things. Their home-care people have been cancelled and wife’s sister was exposed to someone who was exposed to someone who was positive.

😡

JB
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #67 on: March 19, 2020, 07:06:02 PM »
Stepson and his wife are doing a self-quarantine in the two back bedrooms of their house.  They are trying to keep their two daughters from catching their illness.  Both have been diagnosed with...oh, wait.  Never mind, it's just the flu.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #68 on: March 19, 2020, 08:52:42 PM »
Guy at work is quarantined with his wife because she had contact (presumably at her work) with someone who has tested positive.

No known cases in the company yet. I’m pretty much going only to work and grocery store (as needed) till this is done with
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #69 on: March 19, 2020, 10:49:13 PM »
I'm pretty much grocery store and the woods only right now. I have visited with a buddy a couple times.

He had a Reme Halo air purifier in stock so I picked it up from him today and installed it in my furnace.

Zoiks!! The house smells like a fresh spring day after a good rain after only two hours with the fan on the on position
. Should have done this a long time ago!
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #70 on: March 20, 2020, 07:41:44 AM »
Well, so far it's shut down 3 atc facilities.  1 (JFK) hasn't been shut down, which should be a scandal.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #71 on: March 20, 2020, 07:59:12 AM »
I'm in an epicenter region.  National Guard is deployed one county over.  And it is hitting my work circles (courts) pretty hard.  With the various state and local States of Emergency, everything is shut down.  Grocery stores are empty of core items. 

I'm a bit frustrated as leaving my slow time of year for general practice, now, well, no court, so not much lawyering to be done.  My house is well stocked and hopefully between the cat and wife, my sanity will hold. 
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #72 on: March 20, 2020, 08:16:21 AM »
I was scrambling (ok, just working) to get ready for working from home next week.

Among the things I've had to do is let my laptop update to the newest version of Windows 10. I don't use my laptop at home very often...

So, looks like I'll be among the home workers starting next week. I'm thinking to set up my office on our patio.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #73 on: March 20, 2020, 08:44:47 AM »
Well, so far it's shut down 3 atc facilities.  1 (JFK) hasn't been shut down, which should be a scandal.

Which ones?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #74 on: March 20, 2020, 08:48:24 AM »
I'm thinking to set up my office on our patio.

At this point, I'm expected to work from home until the first Monday in April.  I'm hoping it gets extended.  I'm also hoping the weather cooperates and I can work from the deck soon.

It's probably wrong of me to be grateful for the current situation allowing me to work from home.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht