Poll

How many people do you know who have tested positive.

38 (48.7%)
9 (11.5%)
7 (9%)
3-5
6 (7.7%)
6 +
8 (10.3%)
I know of someone through a trusted source I personally know
8 (10.3%)
I have first hand knowledge of someone one through my job
2 (2.6%)

Total Members Voted: 78

Author Topic: Personal impact of the Wuhan Virus  (Read 55329 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Personal impact of the Wuhan Virus
« Reply #625 on: January 23, 2021, 09:51:26 AM »
So I still have no sense of smell. I've been reading about this "smell training":

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20201201/smell-training-might-speed-the-senses-return-after-covid

I'm trying to find an online training on how to do it, as most articles so far just talk about it, but have no step by step references. I just had bacon and eggs for breakfast and am sick and tired of not being able to smell the bacon.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #626 on: January 23, 2021, 12:13:51 PM »
So I still have no sense of smell. I've been reading about this "smell training":

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20201201/smell-training-might-speed-the-senses-return-after-covid

I'm trying to find an online training on how to do it, as most articles so far just talk about it, but have no step by step references. I just had bacon and eggs for breakfast and am sick and tired of not being able to smell the bacon.  :laugh:

Obviously you are not woke enough.  Wake up and smell the bacon.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #627 on: January 23, 2021, 12:59:39 PM »
Obviously you are not woke enough.  Wake up and smell the bacon.
  :O
Surely you mean the gluten-free, bacon flavored soy strips.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #628 on: January 23, 2021, 01:04:56 PM »
  :O
Surely you mean the gluten-free, bacon flavored soy strips.

They smell like sadness and despair.
 [barf]
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #629 on: January 23, 2021, 06:03:50 PM »
And, another tech in the PC side of the business sounds like he's come down with "teh covids!".  That'll make 3 out of the 4 of us.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #630 on: January 25, 2021, 09:46:10 AM »
Another coworker came down with COVID...or so it appears.  He needs to get tested.  Woke up with a low grade fever and loss of sense of smell.  At least I haven't see him since Friday.  Definitely more people in my circle have been catching it.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #631 on: January 25, 2021, 10:03:04 AM »
Wife's sister has it. She says she is having moderate cold symptoms.  She's a dental assistant lots of close contact with the general public.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #632 on: January 25, 2021, 10:29:10 AM »
Thought the #1 spawn had it...took him to pediatrician and got the test (late Thursday afternoon).  Test was sent to area Children's hospital (pediatrician is not connected to that hospital in any way, totally different health system but all the kid Covid test goes to the hospital.)  Come Friday (next day) SWMBO gets a call from the School Nurse telling us the Covid test for #1 spawn is negative.  She is in no way in his continuum of care, they are 100% remote right now. I'm sure something we signed gave them the ability to look at his record, so that is on us but going forward *expletive deleted*ck No are you getting your hands on my kids' records.  The school nurse then called SWMBO again today asking what the results of the Strep test was, we had it done at the same time as the Covid test, and SWMBO was very cold to the nurse.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #633 on: January 27, 2021, 08:57:42 AM »
Well, this not being able to smell *expletive deleted*it is now more than a bother.

Last night I guess Steve did his usual "sneak onto the bed while Ben is asleep" thing, then promptly got sick and threw up on the foot of the bed. I slept through it and just saw the barf this morning when I got up, which soaked through the comforter and the sheets. His barf usually smells terrible. He has barfed in the house a couple of times before at night and the smell woke me up (I usually have a much better than average sense of smell). This time I slept right through it all.

I can only imagine what the bedroom smells like this morning. I've been washing all the bedsheets and spraying deodorizer everywhere since 0500 this morning. I'm starting to get paranoid about what other smells I'm missing, like expired milk that I might be drinking. Gets you to thinking just how much we rely on our sense of smell "in the background" as it were, in our daily lives.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #634 on: January 27, 2021, 09:07:42 AM »
Mine has been returning slowly.  Still not great but I have noticed a definite and regular improvement.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #635 on: January 27, 2021, 09:17:31 AM »
"then promptly got sick and threw up on the foot of the bed."

Seren did that trick a few weeks ago.... right after eating a mess of raw ground turkey that I mixed in with her kibble.

The smell wasn't terrible, but the optics were a freak show...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #636 on: January 27, 2021, 09:40:54 AM »
So Ben, do you have any propane/natural gas appliances in the house?  I wonder if you could smell a leak.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #637 on: January 27, 2021, 09:58:56 AM »
So Ben, do you have any propane/natural gas appliances in the house?  I wonder if you could smell a leak.

I do (propane) and that's always a worry. I have a propane detector, but it's from Amazon, so you always have to wonder about quality.

I'm looking a trying this or similar to see if I can speed up my olfactory recovery:

https://www.fifthsense.org.uk/smell-training/

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #638 on: January 29, 2021, 08:52:14 AM »
Old couple at my church got it a few weeks ago.  She tested positive but had no symptoms and never got sick.  He (much older, mid-80s I think) started out with what he thought was a bad cold (and might have been at first.)  I suspect his cold was why they were tested but I don't know.  O2 levels were bad so they put him on oxygen and kept him in the hospital for about a week.  Never entubated.  His oxygen level was fine but only if they had the flow rate set pretty high. Finally sent him home with an oxygen concentrator or tank or something when they got the flow rate down.  Preacher stopped by for a visit last week and said Bill looked and sounded better than he has in months.  Bill died yesterday; don't know if it was covid or what.
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #639 on: January 29, 2021, 10:10:12 AM »
Just keep a candle lit in the house at all times.

That will let you know if there's a propane leak or not.  :O
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #640 on: January 29, 2021, 11:01:45 AM »
Just keep a candle lit in the house at all times.

That will let you know if there's a propane leak or not.  :O

Yes. :lol:  If it's propane rather than natural gas you'll want to put the candle in the basement.  (with NG I'm not sure that it matters)
"It's good, though..."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #641 on: January 29, 2021, 12:12:25 PM »
Yes. :lol:  If it's propane rather than natural gas you'll want to put the candle in the basement.  (with NG I'm not sure that it matters)
I believe methane is generally lighter than air. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #642 on: February 01, 2021, 09:05:55 PM »
Just got this text earlier from my sister, Mario is my brother-in-law.

"Marios mom was admitted into the hospital tonight. She got the first dose of the covid vaccine last week. Tested positive for covid several days later. She was feeling sick and now she is in the hospital with covid pneumonia. His brother and sister in law tested positive after the shot and were feeling sick but have improved. Keep you posted."

She texted me a little later and said they were starting her on remdesivir.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #643 on: February 01, 2021, 10:53:26 PM »
That's pretty nasty - - -  getting vaccinated and then catching the disease before the vaccine takes effect. :-[   

MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #644 on: February 01, 2021, 11:06:51 PM »
The way I understand it, the vaccine isn't to keep you from catching the virus, it's to lessen the severity if/when you do catch it.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #645 on: February 02, 2021, 12:14:38 AM »
The way I understand it, the vaccine isn't to keep you from catching the virus, it's to lessen the severity if/when you do catch it.

I keep hearing more tales of getting vaccinated then later ending up hospitalized with the disease, I wonder if the variants out there are more numerous than they are saying. Makes me think. Also makes me think I need to do some reading of journals.

bob

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #646 on: February 02, 2021, 10:04:51 AM »

That's what I thought also.

It sounds like they were given the two step version which is the mRNA "vaccine".

The J&J vaccine is actually a true inoculation from what I gather.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #647 on: February 02, 2021, 10:15:02 AM »
Update, as soon as she was admitted they put her on O2, not a ventilator, she started doing better within a couple hours.

As mentioned previously they also started her on Remdesivir right away.

She was moved to the ICU last night but is in good spirits this morning, still has difficulty in breathing.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 10:37:08 AM by Ron »

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #648 on: February 02, 2021, 10:40:25 AM »

That's not really what I've heard.   The Johnson & Johnson is said to be that way;  60% effective in keeping you from getting sick,  but much higher per cent in keeping you from getting very sick or requiring hospitalization.

But what do I know?  I'm not a doctor, or even played one in a TV show.    [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #649 on: February 03, 2021, 10:16:38 AM »
Lost my mother in law from previous marriage of 25 years on Sunday.  Her husband had symptoms in Dec, tested negative, and she had no symptoms but tested positive.  2 weeks later she developed breathing issues.  Apparently she had Interstitial Lung Disease that was lying unknown in her lungs and it progressed due to Covid. 

She went to hospital with labored breathing, tested negative in Jan and was released.  Again all was fine for a couple of days and didn't have any breathing issues until 2 weeks ago when she started labored breathing again.  This time they admitted her and she never recovered.  Kidney failure and lung issues eventually wore her out.  She was 78 years old