Author Topic: Covid-19 meals  (Read 15956 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Covid-19 meals
« on: March 19, 2020, 06:40:42 PM »
Made this for supper tonight, cheap and easy.
https://www.spam.com/recipes/spam-fried-nice
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: Covid-19 meals
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2020, 07:09:42 PM »
Made this for supper tonight, cheap and easy.
https://www.spam.com/recipes/spam-fried-nice

I've never been a big Spam fan, but that sounds pretty good.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2020, 11:32:58 AM »
Spam is some good stuff, the only problem at my house is I have to share it with the cats. It's one of the things we fed our 21 year old cat to keep her weight up, she loved the stuff.

bob

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2020, 12:27:23 PM »
I've always enjoyed Spam and fried eggs. Reminds me of winter camp in Scouts. A spam and swiss sandwich is also quite tasty. Also had sweet and sour Spam once, but I'm still kind of on the fence about that. It had the pork flavor, but the texture was weird.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2020, 12:31:02 PM »
I've always enjoyed Spam and fried eggs. Reminds me of winter camp in Scouts. A spam and swiss sandwich is also quite tasty. Also had sweet and sour Spam once, but I'm still kind of on the fence about that. It had the pork flavor, but the texture was weird.

Teriyaki SPAM had a spongy texture, I didn't like that. I'll use regular SPAM next time.

I've also never figured out why people don't like SPAM, it's pork and ham with salt, good stuff.

Uranus is a gas giant.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2020, 12:55:45 PM »
I think a lot of it is, or was, referred dislike. It was a pretty substantial food staple for American troops during WW II and a lot of them got really sick of it, and brought that back home.

In a way, Spam's wartime utility was also something of a curse.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2020, 01:08:57 PM »
I think a lot of it is, or was, referred dislike. It was a pretty substantial food staple for American troops during WW II and a lot of them got really sick of it, and brought that back home.

In a way, Spam's wartime utility was also something of a curse.

Where I lived everyone ate SPAM growing up in the 80s, lots of fried SPAM and cheese on toasted white bread growing up. Our parents were children of the WWII soldiers.

Also noticed most people refuse to eat canned hams too.

Uranus is a gas giant.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2020, 01:57:44 PM »
Well which is it?

Everybody ate Spam when you were growing up, or why people don't like Spam...

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2020, 01:58:39 PM »
Well which is it?

Everybody ate Spam when you were growing up, or why people don't like Spam...

Both

Uranus is a gas giant.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2020, 02:01:06 PM »
So, they eat it, but they're miserable eating it.

That builds character, don't you know.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2020, 02:13:23 PM »
So, they eat it, but they're miserable eating it.

That builds character, don't you know.

I don't remember anyone complaining about eating it back then and occasionally I hear a childhood friend talk about how they are craving a fried SPAM sammich. 

Of course going to the deli counter back then was pretty limited on choices of meat too, I remember shaved ham, roast beef and various loafs and bolognas. Cheese was 3 or 4 choices. Maybe all the choices we have now for sammich meat has people thinking about other meats instead of the canned variety.

Uranus is a gas giant.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2020, 02:28:32 PM »
I remember distinctly more than a few WW II veterans of my acquaintance who would not, under any circumstances, eat Spam because they were forced to eat so much of it when they were in the service during WW II.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2020, 02:55:26 PM »
I remember distinctly more than a few WW II veterans of my acquaintance who would not, under any circumstances, eat Spam because they were forced to eat so much of it when they were in the service during WW II.

I don't ever remember my grandfather eating anything canned except vegetables. He was in N. Africa and Italy. His beer was either tap or bottled, no canned beer.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2020, 08:44:41 PM »
Where I lived everyone ate SPAM growing up in the 80s, lots of fried SPAM and cheese on toasted white bread growing up. Our parents were children of the WWII soldiers.

Dude,  memories.  That was a staple in the 90s when I was a kid.

There's a local gas station/truck stop/mini mart/laundromat/deli/carryout that makes those exact sandwiches in the fall during hunting season.  They also do a mean fried bologna.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2020, 08:49:40 PM »

Uranus is a gas giant.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2020, 10:10:28 PM »
I don't know about cooking it, I prefer it straight out of the can at room temp, just like my Spaghetti-Os.

bob

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2020, 10:56:44 PM »
I don't know about cooking it, I prefer it straight out of the can at room temp, just like my Spaghetti-Os.

bob

Barbarian.   

Gotta sear/ heat the stuff up.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2020, 11:56:30 PM »
My kids have been eating eggs for dinner quite a bit recently, and with their availability being a bit spotty I was trying to stretch them out a bit. Enter fried rice breakfast burritos.

Prepare a big bowl of rice. You can refrigerate this and use it throughout the week.
Put a little cooking oil in the bottom of your pan and turn the temperature to medium low or low.
Add about half or three quarters of a cup of rice and cook just until it heats up a bit and starts to spread out.
Add one egg. Scramble with the rice.
To this add whatever spices you like. Dried onions, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, whatever.
When cooked, load into wheat tortilla shell with some cheese if available.

Easy, quick (once the rice is made), pretty good, filling, and cheap. Easy to tweak too. You can add meat or veggies depending on what is handy and your tastes.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2020, 09:51:43 PM »
I was going to get some spam Sunday but it cost as much as bacon so I got bacon.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2020, 06:25:22 AM »
Stores where I shop often have Spam on sale for half price, or about $2.50 a can.

Armour Treet is very similar tasting to Spam, but at Walmart it's about half the price of Spam -- $1.48 per can vs $2.92 for Spam.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2020, 03:57:36 PM »
I was going to pick up some spam when I went to the store Sunday but it cost more than the bacon they had on sale so I went bacon.

Beeping home so much I've been doing fried bologna, egg and cheese bagels. Over medium egg got to watch out for the yolk shooting out the begal holes.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2020, 04:08:16 PM »
I paid $2.68 each for the last 2 cans of SPAM I picked up last week. Other than the sale I talked about on Bacon, I can't find bacon for under $4 a package.

Uranus is a gas giant.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2020, 08:05:17 PM »
Meat has been in short supply around here lately.  Wife has been able to find pork ribs a few times, but little else.  We had grilled ribs Monday afternoon for lunch, for late breakfast, early lunch on Wednesday, and will be having them again tomorrow evening for supper.
Things could be worse.   >:D
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2020, 11:12:04 PM »
Spam was almost $4 a can and bacon was 2 for $4 but you don't what to know what beef was priced at. They are thowning the stuff away or smoking it because few will pay the price they want now.

Seasons be damned if it gets bad.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2020, 12:46:21 PM »
No problem finding beef, pork or chicken around here.

Supply lines caught up and we even have limited quantities of TP in the stores.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.