Author Topic: Need info on where to buy camo netting  (Read 2331 times)

Cliffh

• friend
Need info on where to buy camo netting
« on: March 25, 2020, 11:49:09 PM »
The two large windows in the living room face west - the sun beating in those windows can be brutal.  I built a couple of frames out of steel pipe and have been using two 10' x 20' tarps on them to shade that side of the house.  The problem is we get some high winds here, so I either have to take the tarps down or rig them up with one side loose using weights to hold that side down, but still allow it to flap in the wind instead of acting like a large sail & taking the framework somewhere else.

This year I'd like to try using camo netting to provide the shade.  I've been looking on the Interwebs, Amazon & eBay, damn there's a lot of offerings out there.  Some are too light, some ship from China, some are outrageously priced. 

I'd like something that'll last a couple of years, SWMBO likes the look of the blue camo. 

Where's your favorite place to buy something like this?

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Need info on where to buy camo netting
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2020, 12:42:12 AM »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2020, 01:14:07 PM »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2020, 01:21:59 PM »
Privacy fence and plant some shrubs? Remove the fence when the shrubs get tall enough.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2020, 01:22:59 PM »
I have a huge picture window, I use a curtain.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2020, 04:33:57 PM »
Privacy fence and plant some shrubs? Remove the fence when the shrubs get tall enough.

I have a huge picture window, I use a curtain.

We've got curtains.  Thing is, it's a nice view out the windows & SWMBO likes the view & the light. 

The frame isn't vertical, it's more of a slanted (~2' in 9') roof.  Blocks the sun until the sun is below the trees, while still allowing a view of the back yard & tree line.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2020, 05:00:00 PM »
We've got curtains.  Thing is, it's a nice view out the windows & SWMBO likes the view & the light. 

The frame isn't vertical, it's more of a slanted (~2' in 9') roof.  Blocks the sun until the sun is below the trees, while still allowing a view of the back yard & tree line.

Sounds like you need old fashioned awnings, things house had before modern HVAC.

https://www.generalawnings.com/door-awnings-c-80/ac1000-pan-type-window-and-door-awning-p-221

Uranus is a gas giant.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2020, 06:35:13 PM »
Something similar is what I'm after.  I've looked into things like the Sunsetter awnings - problem with something like those are the high winds.  We do get tornadoes around here, 60mph+ winds are common.  I don't want to have to go out every time the wind starts picking up and roll 'em up or take 'em down.  I figure the camo should allow enough airflow through the material that it won't become a flying hazard or rip away part of the house.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2020, 06:41:53 PM »
This is something similar to what I've built: https://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies/ProductDisplay?mfPartNumber=4040F

Free standing, ~9'w x 18'l x 7'h (on short side, 9'h next to house), with "rafters" front to back every 3' or so.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2020, 07:51:55 PM »
Anything strike your fancy here?

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Above-75-in/N-5yc1vZ1z1bdr9/Ntk-EnrichedProductInfo/Ntt-shade%2Bcloth?NCNI-5&storeSelection=3301,3315,3314,3318,3308&experienceName=default

I once got a roll of a similar material to cover a roughly 6'x40' horizontal frame about 8' agl. There were "rafters" and spaced slats below it, but it held up in Vegas winds for years.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2020, 09:39:23 PM »
Something similar is what I'm after.  I've looked into things like the Sunsetter awnings - problem with something like those are the high winds.  We do get tornadoes around here, 60mph+ winds are common.  I don't want to have to go out every time the wind starts picking up and roll 'em up or take 'em down.  I figure the camo should allow enough airflow through the material that it won't become a flying hazard or rip away part of the house.

A rigid awing will stay in place, if not you've already lost your shingles first

Uranus is a gas giant.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2020, 10:10:09 PM »
Man,  you don't want to mess with actual camo net.  It's a pain in the dick to get right,  and even if you do get the stuff in place, it's declaring yourself to be the local militia HQ
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2020, 10:27:15 PM »
It's really that hard to put up?

As REMF I never had to work with it...

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2020, 10:30:21 PM »
and even if you do get the stuff in place, it's declaring yourself to be the local militia HQ

Hopefully not too likely if I use the blue camo in the back yard in North TX.  Maybe they'll think it's just a pool...

I hadn't thought to look at HD or the other big box stores.  Some of the material at HD looks pretty good.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2020, 08:20:56 PM »
https://www.alamy.com/us-marines-with-combat-logistics-regiment-2-2nd-marine-logistics-group-assemble-camouflage-netting-during-a-command-post-exercise-on-camp-lejeune-nc-april-16-2018-the-exercise-prepared-the-marines-of-clr-2-to-serve-as-the-headquarters-for-a-logistics-combat-element-us-marine-corps-photo-by-lance-cpl-scott-jenkins-image180774842.html

I've only ever messed with the stuff in the link,  didn't know there was any other kind available.  My experience is fighting with a tangled mess of net that some idiot had previously ripped.  Then trying to get all the pieces to line up and tie together,  then poke at them with long polls into a shape that Gunny didn't hate.  And when that was done,  you hoped they were tied down well enough to not blow apart on a blustery night.

It is nice stuff once up,  shade where there wasn't shade before.

"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2020, 09:52:26 PM »
So I can't just take hold of one edge and shake it out like a blanket?

SWMBO hit the order key on this today:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TYQR51V/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

She likes the color, so....

Hopefully the packers did a good job and didn't just jam it in the bag.  After looking at the photo Andiron linked to I can see where it could end up being a bigger/longer project than I'd hoped for.