Author Topic: US Army document details plan to update WWII-era ammo plants and depots  (Read 660 times)

MechAg94

• friend
https://www.defensenews.com/land/2022/04/18/us-army-document-details-plan-to-update-wwii-era-ammo-plants-and-depots/

I didn't see a good quote that summarized the article.  Looks like the Army is looking at a 10 or 15 year plan to upgrade and modernize its ammo/ordnance production and depot facilities.  Looking at this article, it seems that it is mostly stuff other than small arms ammo, but I think that is included also.  A video I saw was asking why they were doing this, but this is probably more worthwhile than new rifles or other stuff they are spending money on.  Looks like it is slated to start in 2024.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jim147

• friends
Having done service at Sunflower and Lake city, this is way overdue.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
IMHO, they should diversify - spread things out to different parts of the country.  But hey... the political folks like BIG plants...
Blog under construction

MechAg94

• friend
IMHO, they should diversify - spread things out to different parts of the country.  But hey... the political folks like BIG plants...
Looks to me like all the different sites are spread out a bit.  But that is only useful if all the site make completed ordnance.  If the FedGov did it, parts would be made all over before final assembly.  No one site would be able to do what the others did.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!

I think in true govt fashion there is terrible redundancy and massive single points of failure happily coexisting. Things are very spread out. This is also an elephant that can never be eaten, way to big. Someone in the family does material condition assessments on gov't facilities including lots of ammunition igloos. The Army is spending millions just for a company to tell them what equipment they have in what buildings and how soon it needs fixed. They have no idea.
 Some stuff is too complex to diversify much. I used to live next door to they only place in the world servicing nuclear carriers. Yeah, a target. This week been building handrails for a gov't contractor, had no idea 90% of the free world's explosives gets made in Kingsport Tennessee.
Then there is inertia. I saw an auction just a few years ago where Hawthorne disposed of the remaining 16" naval gun tubes. Pretty sure in Iraq and Kosovo we were dropping all the best bombs the 1960s had to offer. Just so much stuff. I worked for a month at Bluegrass Army depot, supposedly they were still blowing up chemical weapons from pre WW2.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Did you make it to downtown Richmond? Is Madison Garden still there?
Blog under construction

dogmush

• friend
I guess they are doing this to be ready to bring the 6.8 line up for the new rifle.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
I guess they are doing this to be ready to bring the 6.8 line up for the new rifle.

My thought, too. 
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MechAg94

• friend
I was wondering if small arms ammo is only a small part of this.  Seems to me most examples in the article are related to explosives and other heavy ordnance production.  The main thing I remember on small arms was talking about primer production. 

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Did you make it to downtown Richmond? Is Madison Garden still there?

I was pretty damn drunk by the time I made it to downtown Richmond. Think we ended up in a frat house.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: US Army document details plan to update WWII-era ammo plants and depots
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2022, 10:38:13 AM »

6.8x51 aka 277 Fury. Has a hybrid 3 piece case. I was wondering if anything would have to be done to the factories to produce it
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes