Author Topic: APS favorite quotes  (Read 17522 times)

grampster

• friend
Re: APS favorite quotes
« Reply #125 on: March 06, 2021, 10:48:26 AM »
"Urghst.  Crag a baggle shee."  Joe Biden

"Chet, pure and simple."  Chet, from the Chet and Bernie novels.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 02:08:00 PM by grampster »
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #126 on: March 08, 2021, 08:33:32 AM »
An ass can be a world traveler, but it will never come back as a horse.    - anon
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

JN01

• friend
« Reply #127 on: April 21, 2021, 01:36:21 AM »
How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin.  And how do you tell an anti-Communist?  It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin.
        Ronald Reagan

A human group transforms itself into a crowd when it suddenly responds to a suggestion rather than to reasoning, to an image rather than an idea, to an affirmation rather than to proof, to the repetition of a phrase rather than to arguments, to prestige rather than to competence.
   Jean-Francois Revel

The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.
   George Orwell

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #128 on: April 21, 2021, 08:04:24 AM »
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.
   George Orwell

I don't know it's origin, but a popular German saying is, "The man who tells the truth needs the fastest horse."
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

grampster

• friend
« Reply #129 on: April 21, 2021, 03:08:35 PM »
I don't know if I posted this earlier...but my grammaw used to say "The truth will out" and "Always tell the truth because then you don't have to remember the story."
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

JN01

• friend
« Reply #130 on: April 24, 2021, 12:39:46 PM »
The worst enemy that the Negro have is this white man that runs around here drooling at the mouth professing to love Negros and calling himself a liberal, and it is following these white liberals that has perpetuated problems that Negros have.  If the Negro wasn't taken, tricked or deceived by the white liberal, then Negros would get together and solve our own problems.  I only cite these things to show you that in America, the history of the white liberal has been nothing but a series of trickery designed to make Negros think that the white liberal was going to solve our problems.  Our problems will never be solved by the white man.
   Malcolm X

These Negros, they're getting pretty uppity these days and that's a problem for us since they've got something they never had before, the political pull to back up their uppityness.  Now we've got to do something about this, we've got to give them a little something, just enough to quiet them down, not enough to make a difference.
   Lyndon B Johnson

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #131 on: May 09, 2021, 06:44:31 PM »
“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.”

-George Orwell
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #132 on: May 09, 2021, 06:45:48 PM »
“Suppose that a great commotion arises in the street about something, let us say a lamp-post, which many influential persons desire to pull down. A grey-clad monk, who is the spirit of the Middle Ages, is approached upon the matter, and begins to say, in the arid manner of the Schoolmen, "Let us first of all consider, my brethren, the value of Light. If Light be in itself good--" At this point he is somewhat excusably knocked down. All the people make a rush for the lamp-post, the lamp-post is down in ten minutes, and they go about congratulating each other on their unmediaeval practicality. But as things go on they do not work out so easily. Some people have pulled the lamp-post down because they wanted the electric light; some because they wanted old iron; some because they wanted darkness, because their deeds were evil. Some thought it not enough of a lamp-post, some too much; some acted because they wanted to smash municipal machinery; some because they wanted to smash something. And there is war in the night, no man knowing whom he strikes. So, gradually and inevitably, to-day, to-morrow, or the next day, there comes back the conviction that the monk was right after all, and that all depends on what is the philosophy of Light. Only what we might have discussed under the gas-lamp, we now must discuss in the dark.”

-G.K. Chesterton

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #133 on: May 09, 2021, 07:08:27 PM »
“Suppose that a great commotion arises in the street about something, let us say a lamp-post, which many influential persons desire to pull down. A grey-clad monk, who is the spirit of the Middle Ages, is approached upon the matter, and begins to say, in the arid manner of the Schoolmen, "Let us first of all consider, my brethren, the value of Light. If Light be in itself good--" At this point he is somewhat excusably knocked down. All the people make a rush for the lamp-post, the lamp-post is down in ten minutes, and they go about congratulating each other on their unmediaeval practicality. But as things go on they do not work out so easily. Some people have pulled the lamp-post down because they wanted the electric light; some because they wanted old iron; some because they wanted darkness, because their deeds were evil. Some thought it not enough of a lamp-post, some too much; some acted because they wanted to smash municipal machinery; some because they wanted to smash something. And there is war in the night, no man knowing whom he strikes. So, gradually and inevitably, to-day, to-morrow, or the next day, there comes back the conviction that the monk was right after all, and that all depends on what is the philosophy of Light. Only what we might have discussed under the gas-lamp, we now must discuss in the dark.”

-G.K. Chesterton

The monk needs to speak more succinctly ;)
"It's good, though..."

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #134 on: May 12, 2021, 11:46:49 AM »
“It may be said with a degree of assurance that not everything that meets the eye is as it appears.”

―  Rod Serling

Happy National Twilight Zone Day, every day for the foreseeable future  :laugh:

https://nationaltoday.com/national-twilight-zone-day/
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #135 on: May 16, 2021, 09:36:11 AM »
Terror can rule absolutely only over men who are isolated against each other - Anna Arendt

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #136 on: May 17, 2021, 08:19:14 AM »
“It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.”   - Mark Twain

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #137 on: May 17, 2021, 12:40:04 PM »
"No plan survives first contact with the enemy."
               - Helmuth von Moltke
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #138 on: May 17, 2021, 12:46:26 PM »
"No plan survives first contact with the enemy."
               - Helmuth von Moltke

"In preparing for battle I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensable."  -- General Dwight Eisenhower =)
"It's good, though..."

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #139 on: May 17, 2021, 02:57:46 PM »
"In preparing for battle I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensable."  -- General Dwight Eisenhower =)

"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face." 
                     - Mike Tyson

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #140 on: May 17, 2021, 03:00:08 PM »
"Boys, we caught 'em napping!!!" ~ ~ Brevet Major General George Armstrong Custer.  [tinfoil] [popcorn]     ;/
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #141 on: May 17, 2021, 07:20:24 PM »
Speaking of plans, a two-fer:

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”

“There are some aholes in the world that just need to be shot"

James Mattis
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

grampster

• friend
« Reply #142 on: May 17, 2021, 07:35:28 PM »
"Always tell the truth.  That way you never have to remember the story."  My grammaw. :old:

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #143 on: May 17, 2021, 08:46:35 PM »
In fighting those who serve devils one always has this on one’s side; their Masters hate them as much as they hate us.

The moment we disable the human pawns enough to make them useless to Hell, their own Masters finish the work for us.

They break their tools.”   

- Lewis, C. S.

"That Hideous Strength".

I've got a new copy coming.  I intend to re-read, with 40+ years more perspective than the last time.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #144 on: May 17, 2021, 08:48:52 PM »
"That Hideous Strength".

I've got a new copy coming.  I intend to re-read, with 40+ years more perspective than the last time.

Yeah, I had to re-read it recently, too. I hear it's not as popular as the other two books. That seems backward to me.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

grampster

• friend
« Reply #145 on: May 17, 2021, 09:29:28 PM »
"Their ain't no such thing as a sucker punch in a street fight."  My Detective Lt mentor when I was in LE.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #146 on: May 18, 2021, 12:49:34 PM »
This is the problem with subjecting everything to the marketplace. When the highest bidder gets to determine public morality, no one can ever question the morality of the highest bidder. Public opinion becomes another commodity to be traded, rather than a genuine exchange of ideas...

Like the economy as a whole, the marketplace of ideas has become a pirate’s cove. Everything is for sale and everything can be purchased, if the price is right. The consequences are for the suckers to bear.

This is what conservatism should oppose. One basic tenet of conservatism is that there is a transcendent moral truth. That means it is indifferent to the marketplace. it also means that truth itself is not up for bid. Once you concede this point, you are no longer on the Right, but just another kiosk in the bazaar of increasingly bizarre ideas. The way to end the pirate’s cove is to shut it down and hang the pirates. That’s the starting point for conservatism, if it is to be anything more than another grift.

- ZMan

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #147 on: June 02, 2021, 07:06:59 PM »
"I always hope for the best. Experience, unfortunately, has taught me to expect the worst." - Elim Garak,
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #148 on: June 03, 2021, 12:22:04 PM »
"You can't learn history from Instagram."
                - Bill Maher

(yeah, he surprised me too)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #149 on: November 30, 2021, 07:28:59 AM »
“Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement.”

WILL ROGERS