Author Topic: APS favorite quotes  (Read 17516 times)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Re: APS favorite quotes
« Reply #150 on: November 30, 2021, 10:24:39 AM »
The ear that hears the reproofs of life abides among the wise.

- King Solomon in the book of Proverbs, The Bible, sometime pre 200 BC
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #151 on: January 04, 2022, 09:58:52 AM »
"The conscious and intelligent manipulation of the organized habits and opinions of the masses is an important element in democratic society. Those who manipulate this unseen mechanism of society constitute an invisible government which is the true ruling power of our country."
~ Edward Bernays
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #152 on: January 04, 2022, 10:00:15 AM »
"No serious sociologist any longer believes that the voice of the people expresses any divine or specially wise and lofty idea. The voice of the people expresses the mind of the people, and that mind is made up for it by the group leaders in whom it believes and by those persons who understand the manipulation of public opinion. It is composed of inherited prejudices and symbols and clichés and verbal formulas supplied to them by the leaders." ~ Edward Bernays

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #153 on: January 04, 2022, 10:19:10 AM »
"It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to enslave a people that wants to remain free." ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #154 on: January 06, 2022, 08:09:08 AM »
"The masses have never thirsted after truth. Whoever can supply them with illusions is easily their master; whoever attempts to destroy their illusions is always their victim."
~ Gustave Le Bon

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #155 on: January 08, 2022, 09:42:04 AM »
“The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.”

– Thucydides
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #156 on: January 31, 2022, 08:16:31 AM »
We become what we behold. We shape our tools and then our tools shape us.
- Marshall McLuhan

All media exist to invest our lives with artificial perceptions and arbitrary values.
- Marshall McLuhan

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #157 on: February 18, 2022, 10:55:45 AM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #158 on: February 18, 2022, 05:50:01 PM »
"Beware of the man who goes to church six days a week - on the seventh, he'll steal your horse."

My Grandpa
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #159 on: March 05, 2022, 08:18:27 PM »
"If there is one constant in the world, it's that someone, somewhere, is shooting a 7.62x54R round at someone else right now."
             - somebody on Arfcom
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #160 on: March 07, 2022, 10:37:22 AM »
Truth is treason in the empire of lies.

Ron Paul

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #161 on: March 24, 2022, 09:21:32 AM »
The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out... without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane, intolerable.
H. L. Mencken

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #162 on: March 24, 2022, 06:30:13 PM »
Being self-righteous about your opinion is a great way to convince other people that you're an ahole. --The Deep Life
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #163 on: March 24, 2022, 10:27:44 PM »
The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out... without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane, intolerable.
H. L. Mencken
or...

“His mind slid away into the labyrinthine world of doublethink . . . . to hold simultaneously two opinions which cancelled out, knowing them to be contradictory and believing in both of them.”

George Orwell, 1984 (1948)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #164 on: April 02, 2022, 10:50:09 PM »
"Russian warship: go *expletive deleted*ck yourself!"
            - Roman Hrybov
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #165 on: April 22, 2022, 01:56:54 PM »
 “It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person; it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.” -Bill Murray
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #166 on: April 22, 2022, 02:19:30 PM »
Related:  "It is difficult to reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into."
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.