Author Topic: Security Camera Recommendations  (Read 3217 times)

Silver Bullet

• friend
Security Camera Recommendations
« on: April 27, 2020, 08:33:31 PM »
Several years ago I bought an Arlo Q video camera.  I have it in my office, and it dumps every recording up the cloud for a week, with no charge to me.  I really like it, excellent user app, but it was relatively expensive.  I would buy another but the reviews on Amazon these days for the current models are not as favorable.

For my house and my wife’s benefit, a year later I bought two Vimtag cameras, one inside and one outside, but both looking outside.  The user app that came with these cameras was very poor, but usable.  And then for a while vimtag was overhauling the app, and the cameras were almost worthless.  The app finally was available again, and it was much improved.   The cameras are iffy, they go offline too often.

So what camera is the polite society using these days?  Bonus points if it is a camera you bought within the last year.

Jim147

• friends
Re: Security Camera Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2020, 10:11:43 PM »
I have a Dlink in the cabin, where most of my firearms are. It can be live, to the cloud or alert you to a disturbance also has a sd slot.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2020, 01:16:38 PM »
Sounds like what I need, I didn't know Dlink made cameras.  My Arlo was previously made by NetGear, so maybe that's to be expected.

I'll check it out, thanks.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2020, 03:40:54 PM »
Is there a good alternative to Ring, if I want something less expensive?

We sell Maximus where I work, but I don't like those prices either.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2020, 03:51:27 PM »
Is there a good alternative to Ring, if I want something less expensive?

We sell Maximus where I work, but I don't like those prices either.

Do you mean for cameras, or a whole security system? When I first moved here and was still in CA mode, I was afraid someone would break in while I was still going back and forth to Cali, and needed something quick and local, so got a Blink camera set at Best Buy.

Though I don't use them much anymore, they worked out well when I needed them. Super easy setup, stable connection, and they are good for both indoor and outdoor. They even do stuff like temp alarms if you want to set a freeze alarm up or something. It's been a year, and I still haven't replaced the batteries.

I see them discounted on Amazon and Woot often, and  I think there is an indoor only version that's cheaper.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2020, 06:03:05 PM »
Do you mean for cameras, or a whole security system? When I first moved here and was still in CA mode, I was afraid someone would break in while I was still going back and forth to Cali, and needed something quick and local, so got a Blink camera set at Best Buy.

Though I don't use them much anymore, they worked out well when I needed them. Super easy setup, stable connection, and they are good for both indoor and outdoor. They even do stuff like temp alarms if you want to set a freeze alarm up or something. It's been a year, and I still haven't replaced the batteries.

I see them discounted on Amazon and Woot often, and  I think there is an indoor only version that's cheaper.

I mean for a video doorbell that allows me to talk to people at the door.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2020, 09:12:06 PM »
My dog talks to them they don't seem to like it.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2020, 09:25:19 AM »
I have a Dlink in the cabin, where most of my firearms are. It can be live, to the cloud or alert you to a disturbance also has a sd slot.

Where is your cabin?  Do you have wi-fi there, or are you just using the SD card?  I don't mean exact location, I'm  not after your guns.  I mean if your cabin is out in the woods somewhere how do you get Wi-Fi?  I'm guessing it's in your backyard where you  have Wi-Fi from the house..

I guess it's also possible you found a camera with a Cellular Connection. That's how my ADT security system works.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2020, 05:38:50 PM »
Cabin is about a 125 yards west of the house with some trees in between.

I made an antenna that goes into a RPi programmed as a bridge to run the wifi in here.

I keep forgetting to put the sd card in thanks for bringing this back up.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2020, 05:59:38 PM »
I made an antenna that goes into a RPi programmed as a bridge to run the wifi in here.

RPI = Raspberry Pi ?

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2020, 06:19:57 PM »
Yes a raspberry pi with a little python script.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2020, 09:10:39 PM »
While we are talking security cams, I am going to need one that does not need wifi and can still push messages to my Android phone. What I have found is kind of spendy and was hoping there were ideas for under a couple of hundred dollars. I will need to monitor a remote location (storage unit inside) for a while until I get a place to live. Any ideas are welcome.

bob

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2020, 09:36:53 PM »
No wifi? I would look at cell trail cams but I think they are a couple hundred still haven't looked in a while.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2020, 09:20:24 AM »
BTW, I'm not endorsing the Wyze, I don't have one.  But for $25 I'm going to buy one to check it out, and if I like it I might buy 3 or 4 more.