Author Topic: The Great Reopening  (Read 9519 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: The Great Reopening
« Reply #75 on: May 12, 2020, 05:14:05 PM »
Stupid XiNN. I guess they want us to hurry up and send all of our money to China right away.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #76 on: May 17, 2020, 07:39:01 PM »
Our church will open its doors again next weekend. We've been holding drive-in services since Resurrection Sunday. Prior to that, we had services indoors, but there were only 10 or 15 of us there. We were already streaming our services on Facebook.

We never stopped having Wednesday night services, but again, only 10 or 15 people have been showing up.

Edit: got some dates mixed up.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 08:26:33 PM by fistful »

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #77 on: May 17, 2020, 09:02:07 PM »
We live on the flight path (under some wind conditions) to the local airport.

There has been a very noticeable drop in air traffic the past 8 weeks.

Today has seen a very drastic increase. Good sign.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #78 on: May 18, 2020, 07:39:42 AM »
After two months, my free-loading wife goes back to work today!  :lol:

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #79 on: May 18, 2020, 09:07:23 AM »
My company has been doing drop off/pick ups for bicycle service and started curbside pick up.

I suspect we'll be opening up for customers soon.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #80 on: May 23, 2020, 09:06:05 PM »
Eating out tonight.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 23, 2020, 10:11:40 PM »
Went to Ollie's Bargain Outlet and spent way too much but got stuff we needed at good prices.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #82 on: May 23, 2020, 11:21:58 PM »
Local diner reopened this weekend.  They didn't follow the stupid *expletive deleted*ing 50% capacity rule and I love the place for it.

First time I've had food cooked by someone not me since early March.  Worth every penny and tipped the waitress well.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #83 on: May 23, 2020, 11:59:41 PM »
Eaten a few meals out, including a pizza buffet place last night (they brought you plates to your table instead of having them at the bar and you used a fresh serving spatula each time you went up) and a semi fancy Belgian cuisine place tonight (They really cut their table numbers down)

I don’t see much difference in eating in or takeout as far as risk goes.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #84 on: May 24, 2020, 07:57:04 AM »
Northern Virginia still hasn't really started to reopen. Some of the parks have, but that's about it. I still haven't had a hair cut in months and I'm looking like an Old English Sheepdog.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #85 on: May 24, 2020, 08:49:21 AM »
Something I've been finding interesting, and it has all been from what I've read and seen in the MSM, and crosses the political spectrum, is all the pundits and people who are still talking about being isolated inside and not being able to get out in the fresh air.

I suppose that might be true for downtown NYC (where I've never been), but nowhere that I have lived or even visited would have prohibited me from getting "fresh air", even if only going into the backyard or out on a condo deck. Even in Santa Barbara, it would have been easy and not against their stringent rules (or easy not to get caught) to head out and take a walk or go for a run.

Yet, I continually hear people talking as if they have been imprisoned indoors for the last three months.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #86 on: May 24, 2020, 10:06:36 PM »
Northern Virginia still hasn't really started to reopen. Some of the parks have, but that's about it. I still haven't had a hair cut in months and I'm looking like an Old English Sheepdog.

More rural Virginia never really closed, I guess I didn't do too much non-essential retail before. Still going to work same as ever. I tried to go to a local hair whacker I frequent in Harrisonburg and they were open but appointment only and like two people max cutting hair. So I got pissed at the state of the world, went two blocks down to meet my 900 new closest friends at the local Target, bought a $20 Wahl clipper and I guess the $150 or so a year I spend on haircuts is permanently out of the economy. And the hair doesn't touch my ears now, so all is good.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #87 on: May 25, 2020, 02:12:43 AM »
Something I've been finding interesting, and it has all been from what I've read and seen in the MSM, and crosses the political spectrum, is all the pundits and people who are still talking about being isolated inside and not being able to get out in the fresh air.

I suppose that might be true for downtown NYC (where I've never been), but nowhere that I have lived or even visited would have prohibited me from getting "fresh air", even if only going into the backyard or out on a condo deck. Even in Santa Barbara, it would have been easy and not against their stringent rules (or easy not to get caught) to head out and take a walk or go for a run.

Yet, I continually hear people talking as if they have been imprisoned indoors for the last three months.

I've had kind of the same thought. I guess it depends quite a bit on where people live, how much they change their behavior, and whether or not they have an essential job they can't do from home. (And obviously, the people who have a national audience are more likely to be living in cities, and working from home.)

Even my wife had a much different experience than I did. I've been working this whole time (though not as much), and aside from that, the only real change for me has been there are a few places I haven't been able to go to. Someone else in my position might have gone straight to and from work, and just had things delivered. In my wife's case, her school closed for two months, and she eventually had to file for unemployment (she went back to work last week). That's kind of a big difference for two people living in the same house.

And then, people talk about all these Karens giving them dirty looks for not wearing masks, and calling them out for breaking various rules. I've been going to grocery stores, hardware stores, convenience stores, auto parts stores, a garage a couple of times, and I haven't encountered anything like that. Just different things going on depending on where you are, I guess.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #88 on: May 27, 2020, 08:34:02 AM »
One of the pub and grubs opened up (where I used to live) when they could after the governor's order. They had to close last weekend since an employee tested positive for covid. I bet they won't make it six months after they reopen. Be like a restaurant that gets closed for rinovirus or norovirus.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #89 on: May 27, 2020, 08:46:31 AM »
More rural Virginia never really closed, I guess I didn't do too much non-essential retail before. Still going to work same as ever. I tried to go to a local hair whacker I frequent in Harrisonburg and they were open but appointment only and like two people max cutting hair. So I got pissed at the state of the world, went two blocks down to meet my 900 new closest friends at the local Target, bought a $20 Wahl clipper and I guess the $150 or so a year I spend on haircuts is permanently out of the economy. And the hair doesn't touch my ears now, so all is good.

Our idiot governor is JUST NOW requiring masks be worn in all "public buildings".

When cases are already dropping and were never high in most areas of the state. It's like the blue areas want to just rub it in the face of the rest of the state that they have total control.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought