Author Topic: Canada went 'n dun it (AWB enacted)  (Read 6138 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Canada went 'n dun it (AWB enacted)
« on: May 01, 2020, 05:02:09 PM »
"Assault Weapons" Ban enacted. Effective immediately. Two year amnesty while the buy back program is enacted.

https://www.everythinglubbock.com/news/national/canada-bans-assault-style-weapons-after-mass-shooting/?fbclid=IwAR10MaK3exmWhAHRCBgMlmx0TymkVeMbBIF9NBuG6UL2u3Xnr0wlhr8clX4

He announced the ban of over 1,500 models and variants of assault-style firearms, including two guns used by the gunman as well as the AR-15 and other weapons that have been used in a number of mass shootings in the United States

Fifteen hundred models and variants? How the heck did they come up with that number?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Canada went 'n dun it (AWB enacted)
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2020, 05:15:38 PM »

Fifteen hundred models and variants? How the heck did they come up with that number?
Brad

Like most liberal "facts" from where the sun don't shine. It not like the MSM is going to question it.

Edit: On a more serious note, they more than likely already had a list drawn up since Trudeau said he already had this in the works.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 05:43:09 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2020, 05:30:34 PM »
And of course the article has a picture of an assault double barrel shotgun front and center which what looks like mostly sporting shotguns in the background.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2020, 05:35:21 PM »
Still haven't heard what gun(s) he used but everything I've seem implied handgun(s).
Don't forget Trudeau stated that he was already planning on implementing an AWB before this latest shooting.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2020, 05:48:44 PM »
"Assault Weapons" Ban enacted. Effective immediately. Two year amnesty while the buy back program is enacted.

https://www.everythinglubbock.com/news/national/canada-bans-assault-style-weapons-after-mass-shooting/?fbclid=IwAR10MaK3exmWhAHRCBgMlmx0TymkVeMbBIF9NBuG6UL2u3Xnr0wlhr8clX4

Brad
By using absolutely every name a particular rifle or shotgun has been marketed under. For example, the VZ-58, which has been marketed in Canada under a large number of different names and slightly different variants. Likewise with AR15s - there´s probably a few hundred companies that manufacture those. So they list "All M4/AR15 type rifles, including but not limited to" and then every name they could drag up.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2020, 06:42:43 PM »
How is Canada's government structured to allow Trudeau to unilaterally declare this?

Can a Canadian Prime Minister just make up random laws and enforce them without any Parliamentary process?  Or has there been debate and a bill in Parliament?  The article makes no mention of bills or signatures similar to typical the US process.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2020, 06:44:21 PM »
Blair said two of the illegal long guns that Wortman used are now on the list of weapons banned.

So now they're extra-special illegal, I guess.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2020, 06:55:23 PM »
Doubleplusillegal.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2020, 08:22:57 PM »
Did Trudeau include matches and gasoline in the ban?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2020, 01:26:34 PM »
How is Canada's government structured to allow Trudeau to unilaterally declare this?

Can a Canadian Prime Minister just make up random laws and enforce them without any Parliamentary process?  Or has there been debate and a bill in Parliament?  The article makes no mention of bills or signatures similar to typical the US process.
That was my first thought. Here in the US we have governors seizing extra-constitutional power, so I'm wondering how they do things and what limits are on politicians in Canuckistan.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Viking

• friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2020, 03:21:52 PM »
I wonder how well this will work out. IIRC, weapons like the M14 rifles, CZ58 rifles, various SIG 550 variants, the SKS and many many others are unrestricted. So they don´t know who owns them, because once you have your license, they could be bought freely in unlimited quantities. The AR-15 however is a Restricted weapon in Canada and thus they probably know where all the legal ones are.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2020, 03:30:36 PM »
Sure is a good thing that criminals have never moved regulated things back and forth between the US and Canada in the past.  Can you imagine the embarrassment if one of those countries banned something that people wanted and they just shipped it in and sold it illegally anyway?  Man would the government's faces be red.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2020, 03:32:01 PM »
Also:

I'm just going to drop this here......https://defcad.com/

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2020, 03:45:50 PM »
Sure is a good thing that criminals have never moved regulated things back and forth between the US and Canada in the past.  Can you imagine the embarrassment if one of those countries banned something that people wanted and they just shipped it in and sold it illegally anyway?  Man would the government's faces be red.

Yeah, but Elliot Ness...  =D

https://youtu.be/COU-0Oe1nNY?t=118
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Viking

• friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2020, 05:16:34 PM »
Also:

I'm just going to drop this here......https://defcad.com/
Sadly many of these are only really useful for Americans, who are just about the only ones who can buy a complete upper receiver or slide and barrel without any paperwork. In most/all of Europe, the pressure bearing parts are the ones that are regulated...I can still get M-16 lower receivers delivered to my mailbox, but everything in the upper receiver, including the receiver itself, are subject to licensing here.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2020, 03:05:42 AM »
Sadly many of these are only really useful for Americans, who are just about the only ones who can buy a complete upper receiver or slide and barrel without any paperwork. In most/all of Europe, the pressure bearing parts are the ones that are regulated...I can still get M-16 lower receivers delivered to my mailbox, but everything in the upper receiver, including the receiver itself, are subject to licensing here.

At least some of those don't have firearms parts at all.

It is true that the homemade gun thing is more a hobby and making a point.  I suspect it's cheaper and easier to buy a real, illegal gun in any major city in the world than make one, but the point still needs to be made that the idea that it's even possible to ban firearms is a fallacy.

Also as Americans continue to build, test, and publish new designs, there will be more and more that don't need regulated parts.

Viking

• friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2020, 04:16:12 AM »
At least some of those don't have firearms parts at all.

It is true that the homemade gun thing is more a hobby and making a point.  I suspect it's cheaper and easier to buy a real, illegal gun in any major city in the world than make one, but the point still needs to be made that the idea that it's even possible to ban firearms is a fallacy.

Also as Americans continue to build, test, and publish new designs, there will be more and more that don't need regulated parts.
Very true, but the issue remains that most improvised firearms are either single shot, or they are bigger than the standard sized pocket pistol
/service pistol, thus not concealable. Exceptions obviously applies. As for the availability of illegal firearms, sadly one has to deal with actual criminals in order to get them if one wants them.

To go back to the original topic, how long until the next election in Canada? Any chance of a conservative government again?

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2020, 10:51:30 AM »
Colion Noir posted a list of banned firearms.  Interesting in that the list also included .22 caliber copies of "assault weapons", like the Smith M&P 15-22.  Another fun fact, it didn't just include semi-auto rifles.  It included any firearm with a bore diameter deemed "too big" by the government, and also includes a "power" factor.  If the gun is too powerful (I think it listed the number of joules at the muzzle) it is also banned.

Colion Noir also indicated that the shooter's weapons were all obtained illegally on the black market, so this law would have accomplished nothing.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2020, 07:11:01 PM »
Colion Noir posted a list of banned firearms.  Interesting in that the list also included .22 caliber copies of "assault weapons", like the Smith M&P 15-22.  Another fun fact, it didn't just include semi-auto rifles.  It included any firearm with a bore diameter deemed "too big" by the government, and also includes a "power" factor.  If the gun is too powerful (I think it listed the number of joules at the muzzle) it is also banned.

That'll be interesting for all the folks in NWT and Yukon territories that routinely deal with griz, polar bears and moose.
--Lysander Spooner

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2020, 07:21:37 PM »
That'll be interesting for all the folks in NWT and Yukon territories that routinely deal with griz, polar bears and moose.

A moose once bit my sister

Sorry, couldn't help myself
And now for something completely different
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2020, 07:28:43 PM »

They should move to a city where it is safe and get their meat from a grocery store where no animals are harmed.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2020, 07:35:29 PM »
A moose once bit my sister

Sorry, couldn't help myself
And now for something completely different

A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2020, 07:57:45 PM »
By using absolutely every name a particular rifle or shotgun has been marketed under. For example, the VZ-58, which has been marketed in Canada under a large number of different names and slightly different variants. Likewise with AR15s - there´s probably a few hundred companies that manufacture those. So they list "All M4/AR15 type rifles, including but not limited to" and then every name they could drag up.

Even the very limited private run of "arfcom ar-15" lowers are mentioned by name.  It seems to be a comprehensive list.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2020, 08:41:42 PM »
Do the Canuks have any recourse?  Or is it just lay back and think of England?
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2020, 09:02:14 PM »
Do the Canuks have any recourse?  Or is it just lay back and think of England?

Non-compliance looks like their best option

https://www.forbes.com/sites/danielfisher/2013/01/22/canada-tried-registering-long-guns-and-gave-up/#64b3989e5a1b
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?