Author Topic: Jogger shot in Georgia  (Read 18127 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Jogger shot in Georgia
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2020, 09:43:05 AM »

It is, though, rather obvious they only identified him as white because they knew they could use "white" as the pejorative term it has become.

Funny how the "equality" people really mean that they just want white people to be the black people of the 1860s.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2020, 09:53:12 AM »
No, they did not invent "white Hispanic." Hispanics have always come in various colors.

It is, though, rather obvious they only identified him as white because they knew they could use "white" as the pejorative term it has become.

Invent may have been too strong a term, but the use of it was almost completely previously absent because the media generally wants to highlight the "Hispanic" part.

Most Hispanic people (at least in the US) are "white". But they are almost universally not referred to that way, was my point.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2020, 09:58:16 AM »
There was at least one witness who only saw part of that Zimmerman/Martin incident.  His testimony supported Zimmerman's story.  Not to mention that Zimmerman submitted to extensive questioning by the cops at the scene.  I think we have seen since that incident that he isn't the kind of guy who can make up a false story and stick with it.  

On the Georgia incident, I think makattak is likely right if this guy was a retired police officer.  He was known by the police and prosecutors, maybe even a member of clubs or other groups with them.  They would be very reluctant to hang changes on him.  With someone dead, I am still not sure how they managed that.  When I first saw the video on twitter, it looked bad, but I thought the guy was a fleeing criminal and these guys would get in trouble for that.  Later, I find out he was just someone jogging through.

Have any of you see mention of how this video was made public?   The article just says it was posted to several online sites.  Since this happened Feb 23rd, makes me wonder if someone didn't like where the investigation was going and pushed it out to the public.  
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 10:20:18 AM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2020, 11:51:18 AM »
Nope. It's not your job to enforce handicap spaces laws, decibel levels laws, chase down graffiti vandals, confront trash-dumpers, or confront joggers.

You are not the cops. Call the actual cops.

I subscribe to this concept completely. But there are a LOT of SJW types who will be only too happy to explain that we shouldn't call the police to enforce the laws (Heaven forfend!), we should instead approach the scofflaws personally and ask them to stop doing what they're doing.

Just ask McDonald's how that works out: https://www.timesunion.com/entertainment/article/McDonald-s-teen-staffers-shot-15255584.php
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2020, 12:00:03 PM »
we shouldn't call the police to enforce the laws
I can see some merit to that argument...
http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=62242.msg1254233#msg1254233
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2020, 12:04:30 PM »
I subscribe to this concept completely. But there are a LOT of SJW types who will be only too happy to explain that we shouldn't call the police to enforce the laws (Heaven forfend!), we should instead approach the scofflaws personally and ask them to stop doing what they're doing

and point out the No ____ sticker that the scofflaws misunderstood persons obviously missed then go to drink soy lattes together while discussing woke topics. Problem solved.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2020, 12:27:44 PM »
Colion Noir video
It's a short video pretty good and to the point IMHO

My Thoughts On The Ahmaud Arbery Case
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYa-LSTCS40
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2020, 04:39:01 PM »
One thing I'll say is hoo-boy, could you imagine the news coverage and resulting protests, etc. on this if not for the virus?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Pb

• friend
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2020, 10:42:25 PM »
My guess is that if the dead man was really a thief it was probably a good shoot.  A thief doesn't have the right to attack someone attempting a citizen's arrest on him.

If the dead man was just an innocent jogger, it was almost certainly a bad shoot.  Being confronted with two men with guns out of the blue would make an innocent person think he was probably in mortal danger.

Given that I don't know if the deceased was stealing from the neighborhood, I don't know if it was a good shoot or not.  And I don't think I ever will.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2020, 04:54:27 AM »
My guess is that if the dead man was really a thief it was probably a good shoot.  A thief doesn't have the right to attack someone attempting a citizen's arrest on him.

If the dead man was just an innocent jogger, it was almost certainly a bad shoot.  Being confronted with two men with guns out of the blue would make an innocent person think he was probably in mortal danger.

Given that I don't know if the deceased was stealing from the neighborhood, I don't know if it was a good shoot or not.  And I don't think I ever will.

That's a big fat hairy negative there ghostrider.

You can only do a citizens arrest (in places where you can at all) if you see the guy actually committing the crime.  Even if this guy was the thief they thought he was (i.e had broken into homes in the neighborhood previously) he was jogging at the time.  They had no right to stop him at all, certainly not armed.

I agree with Colion Noir: if I'm jogging and a truck pulls in front of me, and two armed people get out, the gunfight has started at that point.  Arbary didn't have an effetive means to defend himself, but he did his best against two armed attackers.

There may be some other facts coming forward, but based on the video, and the statements of the shooters thmeselves, this is going to be a very hard shoot to justify.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2020, 06:46:08 AM »
The key difference between the Zimmerman case and this is that there is a video.  Killing the only other witness leaves one in a stronger position to make claims about who started what.

Do you have an antenna that twitches whenever “Zimmerman” is used on here?
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2020, 08:12:22 AM »
Quick trial or will it drag out through the election season?
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2020, 10:13:07 AM »
Highly doubt this will be done before the election.  A plain homicide, without major media attention, protesters, and a written letter from the prosecutor saying the shooting was legally justified, takes about a year from arrest to trial.  This will become a media circus with lots of pretrial litigation.   It could drag out to 2022.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2020, 03:23:08 PM »
I question how long the media can keep people interested in this.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2020, 03:25:44 PM »
I question how long the media can keep people interested in this.

How long has it been since a laughing Zimmerman chased down and shot little 5 yr old Trayvon in the back?
Since Rodney King?
Anything they can do to remind you how racist you are.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2020, 04:24:41 PM »
I'm young enough that I didn't pay attention to the King business, but with the Martin case,* there were two sides to keep the controversy going. I don't see many people lining up on the side of the vigilantes here.

*I continue to be annoyed that people are on a first name basis with that creep. Along with Hillary Clinton.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Pb

• friend
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2020, 06:06:57 PM »

Anything they can do to remind you how racist you are.

Nailed it.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2020, 08:20:26 PM »
On twitter I saw it posted that there is a video of him in and leaving out of a building in the neighborhood that is under construction.

The claim is also that it agrees with the 911 call.

It looks like another flustercluck in the making.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2020, 08:52:17 AM »
On twitter I saw it posted that there is a video of him in and leaving out of a building in the neighborhood that is under construction.

The claim is also that it agrees with the 911 call.

It looks like another flustercluck in the making.

Posted this morning

The new video, which appears to be home security footage, shows a man -- whom the Arbery family's lawyers say was the victim -- walking down the street the afternoon Arbery was killed. The man walks into the garage of a house under construction. He walks around the back of the house and leaves within a few minutes, most of the time out of view of the camera. He isn’t seen taking anything.

After he enters the property, another man across the street can be seen watching the scene. The man said to be Arbery then comes out of the front door of the house and runs down the street.
https://www.foxnews.com/us/ahmaud-arbery-case-additional-video-being-reviewed-authorities-say

Also saw a comment somewhere that stated he was over 9 miles from home which the commenter thought was strangely far from home for most joggers. I don't know enough to say ya or nay on that.

Onions have layers
- Calvin and Hobbes

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2020, 09:26:51 AM »
About the house thing, I have often entered houses under construction just to look around.  I find it interesting to see how houses are built and to get ideas for my own house.

Unless there was a no trespassing sign, I don't think this is an issue.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2020, 09:34:40 AM »
^^^When my wife and I were looking for our current house, we did exactly the same thing.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2020, 10:22:42 AM »
^^^When my wife and I were looking for our current house, we did exactly the same thing.

Me too, although not anymore.

Here in the burbs they started fencing off remodel/construction sites, probably because Karen complained and/or vandalism.

The price you pay in low trust atomized societies.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2020, 10:26:35 AM »
As more info flows, this is going to get more and more interesting. I'm not sure about the walking through the house stuff. I'm thinking that would be viewed as okay or not differently in different parts of the country. In California, they have security guards to stop that kind of stuff.

The oddball thing would be the "nine miles from home". I've driven much farther than that to start a run, but in order to get to someplace interesting, not a housing tract. Has there been any info on the victim's criminal record?

At this point, the "two rednecks in a pickup chasing a guy with one of them waving a shotgun around in the back of the truck" imagery is going to be hard for the accused to shake. That's kinda out of a bad "city slicker passing through a corrupt Southern town" movie from the '70s.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2020, 10:58:06 AM »

The oddball thing would be the "nine miles from home". I've driven much farther than that to start a run, but in order to get to someplace interesting, not a housing tract. Has there been any info on the victim's criminal record?

There's a little bit about a record: https://newsone.com/3937291/da-blamed-ahmaud-arberys-killing-aggressive-nature-resign-leaders-say/

Barnhill even tried to criminalize Arbery early on, bringing up his past record to cops. Court documents show that he was convicted of shoplifting and of violating probation in 2018, according to The New York Times. Five years earlier, Arbery was also indicted on accusations that he took a handgun to a high school basketball game. In his letter, Barnhill argued, “Arbery’s mental health records & prior convictions help explain his apparent aggressive nature and his possible thought pattern to attack an armed man.”
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2020, 11:04:34 AM »
About the house thing, I have often entered houses under construction just to look around.  I find it interesting to see how houses are built and to get ideas for my own house.

Unless there was a no trespassing sign, I don't think this is an issue.

I disagree.  Posted or not, it's still private property, and one should respect that.

"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama