Author Topic: Smoked turkey in the pit barrel cooker  (Read 5225 times)

Kingcreek

• friend
Smoked turkey in the pit barrel cooker
« on: May 10, 2020, 08:51:43 PM »
Had a young turkey 11.5 pounds in the freezer that I bought thanksgiving or the day after for $.65 per pound on clearance. Time to clean out the freezer.
Thawed it out and cut it into 5 pieces, wings, leg/thighs, whole breast. Rubbed all over with olive oil, dry rub seasoning which was about 1/3 Kickin Chicken and 2/3 pit barrel label general purpose rub.
Top rack, 4 hours on the slow coal with 3 thumb size pieces of hickory. Wings came off about 30 minutes before the leg/thighs and about 30 more for the whole breast.
Tender and juicy and so very tasty. Served with barrel roasted potatoes and fresh asparagus.
Lots of left overs for sammiches.
I’ve been eating like a prince and I’m down about 5 pounds since the world got sick. I fear the weight loss is more muscle mass than adipose since I haven’t been able to swim or lift at the ymca for about 7 weeks now
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Silver Bullet

• friend
Re: Smoked turkey in the pit barrel cooker
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2020, 05:27:27 PM »
My grocery store gives away free frozen turkeys just before Christmas if you buy enough groceries.  Unfortunately, my wife won't eat poultry if it has hormones or antibiotics added.  Also I don't have a standalone turkey, so I would have to immediately start thawing it and preparing to cook it.  There's never anywhere near enough room in the refrigerator, either. 

Maybe my next house will a bigger garage.   =(

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 07:49:12 AM »
"Also I don't have a standalone turkey..."

I HATE not having a recumbent turkey. Life is so much easier with one...  :rofl:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2020, 12:38:25 PM »
This was an all natural no hormone no antibiotic gluten free turkey. It took 4-5 days to thaw while supine in the fridge.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2020, 08:41:48 AM »
My family used to get our turkeys from the Empire Kosher Poultry plant near where my grandparents lived. They had an on-site store. You could get fresh, deep chilled, or frozen.

Unfortunately, they closed the store some years ago.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2020, 01:12:42 PM »
"Also I don't have a standalone turkey..."

I HATE not having a recumbent turkey. Life is so much easier with one...  :rofl:

=D

Not only do I not have a standalone turkey, I also do not have a standalone freezer.  I guess that balances out.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2020, 06:58:10 PM »

=D

Not only do I not have a standalone turkey, I also do not have a standalone freezer.  I guess that balances out.
I have an extra freezer but it doesn’t come with a turkey

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2020, 10:39:37 PM »
My grocery store gives away free frozen turkeys just before Christmas if you buy enough groceries.  Unfortunately, my wife won't eat poultry if it has hormones or antibiotics added.  Also I don't have a standalone turkey, so I would have to immediately start thawing it and preparing to cook it.  There's never anywhere near enough room in the refrigerator, either. 

Maybe my next house will a bigger garage.   =(

Be rare to find any poultry that doesn't have antibiotics added to it.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2020, 11:58:40 PM »
Be rare to find any poultry that doesn't have antibiotics added to it.

Not in my neck of the woods. 

https://www.fredmeyer.com/p/-max-2-simple-truth-organic-free-range-whole-young-chicken/0021080550000

"The truth is, our organic free range whole young chicken with giblets is humanely raised in a free range environment with organic vegetarian feed, no antibiotics ever, and no added hormones. Our organic free range whole chickens are simply delightful in any meal!"

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2020, 12:04:11 AM »
Not in my neck of the woods. 

https://www.fredmeyer.com/p/-max-2-simple-truth-organic-free-range-whole-young-chicken/0021080550000

"The truth is, our organic free range whole young chicken with giblets is humanely raised in a free range environment with organic vegetarian feed, no antibiotics ever, and no added hormones. Our organic free range whole chickens are simply delightful in any meal!"

Even antibiotic free chickens are given antibiotics as chicks. You can google that.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2020, 11:38:33 AM »
Even antibiotic free chickens are given antibiotics as chicks. You can google that.

I've heard of that, and I think that is why this ad says "no antibiotics ever".  I think I've seen ads from that brand specifically addressing what you talking about (unless it was about hormones).

However, Simple Truth is a Kroger brand, so it's Big Grocery.  I don't know how committed they are to the concept.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2020, 11:43:21 AM »
I've heard of that, and I think that is why this ad says "no antibiotics ever".  I think I've seen ads from that brand specifically addressing what you talking about (unless it was about antibiotics).

However, Simple Truth is a Kroger brand, so it's Big Grocery.  I don't know how committed they are to the concept.

Growth hormones have pretty much became a no-no in most commercial animal raising operations, of course they have replaced the need with genetics and diet.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2020, 12:01:49 PM »
I corrected my post, I mean to say "unless it was about hormones".  

of course they have replaced the need with genetics

Are you talking about GMO?  Another thing on my wife's bad list.  I briefly researched it on the web, and I came away thinking there was nothing wrong with it.

But then, my wife also watches lots of programs about UFOs from another galaxy, particularly their impact on early earth history, and she watches the Bigfoot "shows".  I tried to consolidate this for her by claiming that Bigfoot creatures were just UFO pilots who crash landed and can't find a repair site in the woods.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2020, 12:16:25 PM »
I corrected my post, I mean to say "unless it was about hormones".  

Are you talking about GMO?  Another thing on my wife's bad list.  I briefly researched it on the web, and I came away thinking there was nothing wrong with it.

But then, my wife also watches lots of programs about UFOs from another galaxy, particularly their impact on early earth history, and she watches the Bigfoot "shows".  I tried to consolidate this for her by claiming that Bigfoot creatures were just UFO pilots who crash landed and can't find a repair site in the woods.

No, selective breeding.

To the best of my knowledge there is no GMO animals in our food supply. The only GMO we may find in foods is field corn, sweet corn, soy, canola, alfalfa, summer squash, papaya, and sugar beets. There are GMO apples and potatoes, but not sure if they are legal for food in the US. Also there is GMO cotton.

Uranus is a gas giant.