Author Topic: Mini mag's with stuck end caps  (Read 2082 times)

Cliffh

• friend
Mini mag's with stuck end caps
« on: May 14, 2020, 10:24:32 PM »
I've recently found a couple of mini mag lights I'd forgotten about.  Of course they don't work - batteries are dead.  And the end caps aren't coming off easily.

Checked the Maglite web site.  They say it's caused by leaking batteries causing corrosion, which isn't covered by their warranty, check with the battery manufacturer for their warranty on leaking batteries.  That'd be a lot easier if I could get to the batteries....

The lights aren't worth much - ~$10 on Amazon.  If it doesn't take too much time and effort I would like to see if they'll still work.  I've tried soaking one in penetrating oil, didn't do anything.  It doesn't seem like it'd be a good idea to chuck 'em up in the vise.  I'm concerned that even a strap wrench might be more that the tube can stand.

Got any quick, dirty, cheap and easy suggestions?

Andiron

• friend
Re: Mini mag's with stuck end caps
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2020, 10:35:59 PM »
Huck em into the garbage can and get some decent Streamlights?

I went down the "convert all the maglites over to LED" road and it was a fruitless waste of time.   I'm not opposed to a 3C or 3D maglite doubling as a billy club, but they're not great flashlights in the year 2020.  My problem is that they sit around JUST long enough to have the batteries *expletive deleted*it the bed.  Same with EOtech sights.

For lights,  I've got two of these, and haven't managed to kill them yet.  Good lights for the price:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06WD29DZ8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 10:52:09 PM »
Trash. I have been after a D maglight with a drift and 4lb hammer and not got the batteries free. I have a new commemorative maglight AA and the guts from a D that was highly modded with a real bulb and a polished metal reflector. I need to build a battery pack for that one.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2020, 11:02:12 PM »
Some years ago, I found I had a stuck end cap on a 2D cell mag light.  Frustrating.  I gingerly tried tapping on the end and using a rubber strap wrench, and got nowhere.  I decided that if I was careful, maybe I could grab the knurl on the endcap with a big set of channel locks and not screw it up too bad if I didn't let them slip.  Put some force on it, got nowhere.

Now I'm getting annoyed.  I've got an hour into screwing around with this and have got nowhere.  I decide to hell with it, I'm going to really force it, and worst case scenario I'll have to turn the end cap down a little to clean up damage my channel locks do grabbing on it.

I still got nowhere.  Time for a 24 inch pipe wrench!

Not.  Even.  Thinking about unscrewing.

Now I've written off the whole thing, and decided piss on it... and bandsawed the end clean off.

That got me inside, to a corroded mess.  I cut the other end off and got the batteries out.  Not sure if I hammered them out or used the press.  Rayovac D cells.  I took a few pictures of this whole mess, and wrote a polite but displeased email to rayovac including pics, stating that their batteries leaked and destroyed my $20 flashlight.

A couple days later, I got a reply email.  A representative said to me that normally they required the damaged product to be sent to them, but in this case they would honor the warranty immediately, and did not need to send them anything.

About a week later, I got a package in the mail with two new rayovac D cells.  Well... it's something, I guess.  BUT WAIT... a few days past that, I received another piece of mail, which was a $20 check made out to me from the rayovac corporation.

I used the money plus a little more to buy a new LED light, which I still have and use.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2020, 11:06:28 PM »
Alkaline batteries left unattended in an appliance will corrode, leak, and damage said appliance. It's not a warranty issue. It's lack of maintenance - it happens.

If you store any flashlights in the future, remove the batteries first, or check them every few months.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2020, 11:11:48 PM »
Alkaline batteries left unattended in an appliance will corrode, leak, and damage said appliance. It's not a warranty issue. It's lack of maintenance - it happens.

If you store any flashlights in the future, remove the batteries first, or check them every few months.

The real catch seems to be if there's any current draw.  Batteries in a device aren't any more likely to leak then they are in a drawer, if the device is fully turned off.  Often a power switch gets left on, the batteries die, then the trouble starts.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2020, 11:24:28 PM »
Some years ago, I found I had a stuck end cap on a 2D cell mag light.  Frustrating.  I gingerly tried tapping on the end and using a rubber strap wrench, and got nowhere.  I decided that if I was careful, maybe I could grab the knurl on the endcap with a big set of channel locks and not screw it up too bad if I didn't let them slip.  Put some force on it, got nowhere.

Now I'm getting annoyed.  I've got an hour into screwing around with this and have got nowhere.  I decide to hell with it, I'm going to really force it, and worst case scenario I'll have to turn the end cap down a little to clean up damage my channel locks do grabbing on it.

Now I've written off the whole thing, and decided piss on it... and bandsawed the end clean off.

That got me inside, to a corroded mess.  I cut the other end off and got the batteries out.  Not sure if I hammered them out or used the press.  Rayovac D cells.  I took a few pictures of this whole mess, and wrote a polite but displeased email to rayovac including pics, stating that their batteries leaked and destroyed my $20 flashlight.

A couple days later, I got a reply email.  A representative said to me that normally they required the damaged product to be sent to them, but in this case they would honor the warranty immediately, and did not need to send them anything.

About a week later, I got a package in the mail with two new rayovac D cells.  Well... it's something, I guess.  BUT WAIT... a few days past that, I received another piece of mail, which was a $20 check made out to me from the rayovac corporation.

I used the money plus a little more to buy a new LED light, which I still have and use.

I had a similar experience -- minus the $20 check. Once a Maglite gets corroded inside, it's a goner. It is NOT worth the effort to get inside and, if you do get inside -- you'll wish you hadn't.

Also, if it's old enough to be a pre-LED Maglite, it's not worth the bother anyway. I used to love Maglites. I have 3 D-cell Maglites, 2 D-cell Maglights, 3 C-cell Maglites, 2 C-cell Maglites, the 2 AA Mini Maglites, the 1 AA Mini Maglite -- you name it, I probably have at least two of it. What I learned is that the Mini Maglite just doesn't put out much light, at all. I've even converted one of my Minis to an LED lamp, and the light output is still orders of magnitude less than I get from a $6 flashlight I bought on Amazon.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2020, 11:31:34 PM »
Bought a 3 D cell Maglite used from fleabay a while back.  Upgraded it to LED and that sucker lights up my whole yard.  Really happy with it.  It really depends on where you source the LED bulb.  Some make their rated lumen output, others just suck.  I'll have to look through my Amazon order history to see if I got it off there.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2020, 11:39:28 PM »
Bought a 3 D cell Maglite used from fleabay a while back.  Upgraded it to LED and that sucker lights up my whole yard.  Really happy with it.  It really depends on where you source the LED bulb.  Some make their rated lumen output, others just suck.  I'll have to look through my Amazon order history to see if I got it off there.

Yeppers. I've upgraded all my big Maglites (the C-cell and D-cell ones) to LED and it makes all the difference in the world. Choices for LED upgrafe for the Mini Maglite are much more limited. In fact, there may only be one choice ... and it's not worth the money.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2020, 01:14:54 AM »
They're not bad lights for putting in the glovebox of your car... but I wouldn't spend money trying to refurbish one that had battery acid damage that prevented opening it.

Put it in a padded vise, grab the body with pliers or vise grips with a rubber pad around it, and spin.  If it breaks free, hooray.  Clean it out with a baking soda solution, dry it well, and test it with new batteries.  If it works, it's a decent kitchen drawer or glovebox flashlight.  If not... chuck it in the fuggitbuckit.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2020, 09:28:24 AM »
I've recently found a couple of mini mag lights I'd forgotten about.  Of course they don't work - batteries are dead.  And the end caps aren't coming off easily.

Checked the Maglite web site.  They say it's caused by leaking batteries causing corrosion, which isn't covered by their warranty, check with the battery manufacturer for their warranty on leaking batteries.  That'd be a lot easier if I could get to the batteries....

The lights aren't worth much - ~$10 on Amazon.  If it doesn't take too much time and effort I would like to see if they'll still work.  I've tried soaking one in penetrating oil, didn't do anything.  It doesn't seem like it'd be a good idea to chuck 'em up in the vise.  I'm concerned that even a strap wrench might be more that the tube can stand.

Got any quick, dirty, cheap and easy suggestions?

BTDT.  Had one die like that, that I could have got back up and running if it wasn't a weird one off model with an end cap unlike any others they've ever used, that they barely wanted to admit ever existed.  And guess what part had the damage.

The lights aren't worth much - ~$10 on Amazon.

Anyway, other than being good and hefty and an expedient bludgeon or kubaton (depending on size), they're nothing special now.  Replace.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2020, 10:55:55 AM »
Pre-LED I'd gotten my dad a nice D-cell MagLite as a birthday present, and one day it went missing.

I found it 4-5 years later, where he had left it under the stove top when he was fixing a burner, and it had baked there for all that time.  :lol:
I promise not to duck.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2020, 07:22:44 PM »
These are the AA version, might be good for busting out a car window. 

They aren't the first electronic device I've ruined by leaving the batteries in, but until now it'd been a long time.  Normally I'll pull the batteries and leave them with the device.  I'd simply forgotten I even had these two lights.  We were doing some cleaning and there they were.

This is the first I've heard of Streamlights.  I'll do some comparison shopping, see what they look like.  I'm not looking for much, there's already 3 lights in the car & at least 2 in the truck.  And, no, the batteries are not in those lights. :)

Hawkmoon

• friend

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2020, 08:39:35 PM »
I have two of these,  and one goes in my pocket every morning when I'm loading up keys, phone, gun and knife.  Great light.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06WD29DZ8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've got at least 6 of these floating around.  On keyrings and various camping gear.  Handy little buggers.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0011UIPIW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2020, 10:57:39 PM »
I had a MiniMag light (pre-LED).  Same issue.  Pulled it out after a week at Scout camp, couldn't get the cap off.  Locked it into my vise, grabbed the cap with different pliers.   Ended up tearing the aluminum wall of the flashlight body.  No, I'm not that strong.  It was corroded away.

Once upon a time, MiniMags were my EDC flashlight. Now, it's the Streamlight StylusPro.  Easier to carry and far brighter.  About the same price, too.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2020, 11:24:29 PM »
Since we both have Surefire lights, and I just needed something like the old Maglites, I went with one of the incandescent (mine) and one of the LED (hers) Maglites. 

There's a definite difference between the two.  As expected, the incandescent is much dimmer & more yellow that the LED.  I only mention it 'cause it's such a drastic difference.

I may end up ordering some of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Hausbell-Flashlights-Flashlight-Handheld-Resistant/dp/B01B4KTIEI/ref=sxts_sxwds-bia-wc-p13n2_0?cv_ct_cx=LED+flashlights&dchild=1&keywords=LED+flashlights&pd_rd_i=B01B4KTIEI&pd_rd_r=1605f4a1-02c1-4823-82db-502751003df5&pd_rd_w=8X4fU&pd_rd_wg=19soi&pf_rd_p=865e0d87-7dd3-47cb-8098-f5232fd0510a&pf_rd_r=DJTF9MPH4WR9ZSE7C91S&psc=1&qid=1589587934&sr=1-2-beb77b32-1078-477f-b152-b09baa1ee7f7

I don't want to read all 173 questions on Amazon, anyone know what the difference is between the 4 pack and the 7W of those lights?  The descriptions read the same for both.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2020, 12:51:24 AM »
Since we both have Surefire lights, and I just needed something like the old Maglites, I went with one of the incandescent (mine) and one of the LED (hers) Maglites. 

There's a definite difference between the two.  As expected, the incandescent is much dimmer & more yellow that the LED.  I only mention it 'cause it's such a drastic difference.

I may end up ordering some of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Hausbell-Flashlights-Flashlight-Handheld-Resistant/dp/B01B4KTIEI/ref=sxts_sxwds-bia-wc-p13n2_0?cv_ct_cx=LED+flashlights&dchild=1&keywords=LED+flashlights&pd_rd_i=B01B4KTIEI&pd_rd_r=1605f4a1-02c1-4823-82db-502751003df5&pd_rd_w=8X4fU&pd_rd_wg=19soi&pf_rd_p=865e0d87-7dd3-47cb-8098-f5232fd0510a&pf_rd_r=DJTF9MPH4WR9ZSE7C91S&psc=1&qid=1589587934&sr=1-2-beb77b32-1078-477f-b152-b09baa1ee7f7

I don't want to read all 173 questions on Amazon, anyone know what the difference is between the 4 pack and the 7W of those lights?  The descriptions read the same for both.

That's a very confusing listing, since the details for ALL three choices say the lights are the 7W model. While I can't answer the question, I can tell you that the light I carry in the pocket of my cargo pants is one of those Hausbell lights. I originally bought two, and I liked them so much that I then bought four more. I run mine on 14500 lithium rechargeable batteries.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2020, 08:23:25 AM »

I had the same thing happen to a 2D mag light I had for close to 20 years, went to replace the batteries, nope cap frozen got it broke loose and lot of battery corrosion. I just tossed it, I do need to buy another big flashlight for my truck.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2020, 08:32:58 AM »

I did the same with my old 3D Maglite some years ago. Without that upgrade, the flashlight would have likely gone in the trash. At the time, we weren't seeing the current crop of bajillion lumen lights. I don't use it much anymore though, because other lights I have now put out way more light.

I remember the days when the Maglites were the bomb. Now about their only advantage is the ability to use them as a weapon.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2020, 09:48:29 AM »
I have had that happen.  I agree with chunking them in the garbage.  Lots of pretty good LED's that are brighter and more dependable. 

It is amazing how far lights have come in 30 years.  At one time (early 1990's?), Maglites were bright, tougher than most, and cheap.  Now, just about any cheap LED light is brighter and just as tough.  You just don't see many LED's built big enough to substitute as a club.  

Of course, carrying a club is no longer illegal in Texas so we might as well just have a good flashlight and a real club.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2020, 10:00:26 AM »
I have had that happen.  I agree with chunking them in the garbage.  Lots of pretty good LED's that are brighter and more dependable. 

It is amazing how far lights have come in 30 years.  At one time (early 1990's?), Maglites were bright, tougher than most, and cheap.  

Which begs the question on why Maglites haven't kept up in the Lumen race (maybe they have and I've missed it). They could come out with a trajillion lumen light that still has the head bonker qualities that made Maglites popular.

Though  I guess taking my own preferences into account, other than maybe keeping a D-cell Maglite under the seat of the car, I'll always reach for the small and handy light, and for bumps in the night, hello weapon light.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2020, 10:51:17 AM »

I remember the days when the Maglites were the bomb. Now about their only advantage is the ability to use them as a weapon.

I've kept Maglites in my vehicles and around the house for 50+ years. The epiphany for me came about 8 or 10 years ago when we had an unseasonable, heavy, wet snow that took down power lines all over the state -- including the line from the street to my house. We were out of power for about four days. My house is far enough from the street that there are two poles on my property, and the power line came off one of them.

The repair crew finally showed up at around midnight, and I took my trusty 3 D-cell Maglite out to show the foreman where the problem was. We walked out to the pole, I pointed my light at the top of the pole -- and we couldn't see anything. The guy then aimed his light at the top of the pole, and I was ready to put on sunglasses. I asked him what his light was, and he said it was a Maglite LED.

So I went out and bought LED conversions for all my Maglites. I'm very satisfied with them, and I didn't go for anything "name" brand or top dollar. IIRC, I think I got mine from Amazon. They aren't powerful enough to blister paint at 50 paces, but the house is 100 yards from the street and even the 2 C-cell lights now cast a useful beam to the street and beyond.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2020, 10:55:11 AM »
I keep looking at this thread and wondering what you are talking about since there are no end caps on CCI Mini Mags.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?