Author Topic: NYT (Again) Says You Need to Stop Eating Meat  (Read 2698 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
NYT (Again) Says You Need to Stop Eating Meat
« on: May 21, 2020, 12:00:51 PM »
I don't know why the print this stuff when they know they are going to get ratioed, including by a good portion of left-leaning people.

https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2020/05/21/sorry-cant-hear-you-over-the-sound-of-my-bacon-frying-nyt-lecturing-people-about-not-eating-meat-goes-oh-so-very-wrong/

Their "subject expert" said this:

Don’t we need animal protein? No.

We can live longer, healthier lives without it. Most American adults eat roughly twice the recommended intake of protein — including vegetarians, who consume 70 percent more than they need.

I find that interesting in light of some recent studies by reputable medical researchers suggesting that people over 50, especially men, should be taking in a good deal more protein than the recommended daily requirement. I've read several studies that said double. It's one of the reasons that I add protein powder smoothies to my diet, as an easy way to boost the protein and help (along with exercise) to keep my muscle mass from degrading.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: NYT (Again) Says You Need to Stop Eating Meat
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 01:05:40 PM »
Hum... read the article, and it's making me rethink my plans for grilling a pork tenderloin for dinner...

I need to add some ribs to the menu, too.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 01:07:27 PM »
Hum... read the article, and it's making me rethink my plans for grilling a pork tenderloin for dinner...

I need to add some ribs to the menu, too.

I need to pick up a couple steaks, I think.

Seriously, now I want steak and potatoes.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 01:12:01 PM »
Potatoes?

Those come from corporate farms that hurt the poor, you racist!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2020, 01:12:09 PM »
I don't know why the print this stuff when they know they are going to get ratioed, including by a good portion of left-leaning people.
Because if you click on the article you're boosting their readership.

And that is why they exist.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2020, 01:12:58 PM »
Potatoes?

Those come from corporate farms that hurt the poor, you racist!

Only the white potatoes
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2020, 01:14:51 PM »
Because if you click on the article you're boosting their readership.

And that is why they exist.

And that's why we depend on aggregators like Twitchy... Getting to laugh at all of the bullshit without supporting it...

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2020, 02:08:27 PM »
This makes me wonder when California is going to mandate Prop 65 cancer warning labels on meat products.  Or have they already done that?
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2020, 02:43:30 PM »
They can bite me. I’m pretty sure my Viking ancestors were not vegans.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2020, 07:48:29 PM »
I'm consuming more meat than I normally consume.

I hate the "safety theater" of the grocery stores around here so I just load up on stuff for the freezer.

Produce doesn't last long enough to feed me well enough in between store visits.

Steaks, ribs, chicken dishes, hamburgers, taco's are on the menu nearly every day.

Seriously, the Chicago area has lost its mind. The annoying and fatiguing bs going on here is like something out of the twilight zone.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2020, 11:18:31 PM »
Our local Giant Eagle now has directional aisles.  My wife has noted that I'm just contrarian for blowing them off.  Today was my first interaction with an Aisle Karen.

Working back through the store, looking for my wife, I see her at the end of a one way aisle.  A 70 (ish?) gentleman turns down said aisle in front of me.  A skinny older wench screeches " YOU CAN'T GO THAT WAY" to the old guy.  He turns and yells back " THERE'S NO ONE THERE!",  ignores her ass and goes down aisle.  I follow,  and she yells the same thing at me.  I respond "Make me".   She has no answer,  and I find that funny.

Karens, concern trolls and all other types of Stasi should be defied at every opportunity.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2020, 12:59:09 AM »
Our local Giant Eagle now has directional aisles.  My wife has noted that I'm just contrarian for blowing them off.  Today was my first interaction with an Aisle Karen.

Working back through the store, looking for my wife, I see her at the end of a one way aisle.  A 70 (ish?) gentleman turns down said aisle in front of me.  A skinny older wench screeches " YOU CAN'T GO THAT WAY" to the old guy.  He turns and yells back " THERE'S NO ONE THERE!",  ignores her ass and goes down aisle.  I follow,  and she yells the same thing at me.  I respond "Make me".   She has no answer,  and I find that funny.

Karens, concern trolls and all other types of Stasi should be defied at every opportunity.

LOL

In my local grocery they instituted one way aisles. I was shopping for ten minutes and had no clue.

Half way down an aisle a women frantically pointed out to me I was going the wrong direction.

I said to her very sincerely, Thank You Karen, I didn't realize that :)

I'm tiring of clown world. 

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2020, 02:38:48 AM »
Haven't started that here in my regular store yet.  Wonder how they'd handle it with the electric carts.   They're sometimes hard to turn around in a tight aisle.

Stop eating meat?  Why, my canine teeth would get bored.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 02:54:14 AM by 230RN »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2020, 07:55:18 AM »
My local Giant has also gone to directional aisles. I've changed it up to shopping pretty late in the evening when the store is more deserted so I don't have to deal with either the people who mutter about me not wearing a mask or the aisle bullshit.

I'm really surprised that they're not trying to enforce "no passing" rules in the aisles. I think they would be riots if they tried that crap.

Speaking of the store, meat is back in pretty much full supply but holy *expletive deleted*it the prices have gone up on a lot of stuff. I buy a LOT of ground turkey in 3 pound packages -- it's gone from $8.45 to over $10.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2020, 08:08:36 AM »

Speaking of the store, meat is back in pretty much full supply but holy *expletive deleted*it the prices have gone up on a lot of stuff. I buy a LOT of ground turkey in 3 pound packages -- it's gone from $8.45 to over $10.

Yeah, I was at Costco on Friday and it's the first time I've ever seen signs at one explaining the high meat prices. I've mostly switched to my local grocery store for meat, and they are pretty well stocked as of now.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2020, 08:29:10 AM »
I bought a half beef last fall from my cousin and then split it with my sister. I need to see what his steer schedule looks like and get a half just for the wife and I this time. Most years I put a couple deer in the freezer and a half is too much and a quarter isn’t quite enough but we have gone through this last quarter much faster than usual. Partly because I didn’t bag a deer last fall and also because we have been doing a lot of pandemic cooking and eating at home.
I talked to a neighbor about buying a lamb but they sell purebreds to breeders first and any leftover for meat and they don’t yet know if they’ll have meat lamb. I’m tempted to butcher it myself.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2020, 09:14:56 AM »
My local Giant has also gone to directional aisles. I've changed it up to shopping pretty late in the evening when the store is more deserted so I don't have to deal with either the people who mutter about me not wearing a mask or the aisle bullshit.

I'm really surprised that they're not trying to enforce "no passing" rules in the aisles. I think they would be riots if they tried that crap.

I’ve noticed a lot of the grocery prices have gone up about 20-30% for stuff.

They really *expletive deleted*ed everything up they could. I hate liberals with a burning passion. Useless gits.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2020, 03:28:10 PM »
i used to only eat vegetarian.
 I stopped because I couldn't take the screams when I dropped them in the frying pan
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2020, 06:05:58 PM »
I'm a vegetarian-by-proxy. I eat the animals that eat grasses and such. I eat fish that eat other fish that eat seaweed. I drink milk from animals that eat grass. I eat foul that eat bugs that eat other bugs, seeds, and bits of gravel.

That said, I'm a good boy. I eat the veggies that taste good with all those vegetarian beasts.

I draw the line at the NYT other than using it to help light the kindling for the cook fires.

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2020, 09:57:26 PM »
I draw the line at the NYT other than using it to help light the kindling for the cook fires.

Maybe they could boost subscribers by printing the paper on a perforated roll, at least until the virus subsides.

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2020, 11:21:42 AM »
Ben axed:

They may be testing readership.  

I remember a new overnight classical music jockey grossly mispronouncing composer's and musician's names and when I called a friend at the station regarding "what the hell," he said the guy was just testing to see what his listener base was.

I found that a strange explanation, but I chalked it up as just one of those things you don't want to bother challenging, and the next time the guy was on the air, the pronounciations were correct.

I mean, like "Choppin', "Moe's Art," "Prah-kah-veye-av..."

But it was the "Bea-tahv'-ennn" that got to me.

Terry
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 12:08:28 PM by 230RN »

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2020, 10:51:57 PM »
Once I get a walk in cooler built I'll be sourcing steers so I can hang it and dry age it myself.  Might even try a retired dairy cow.  I've heard that with extended dry aging they are plenty tender and super flavorful.

Soon as I get the fencing up I'll be looking for a couple/three Katahdin ewes and ideally a Dorper ram.  The lambs from that mix should grow fast to a good size without getting too fatty.

I've been raising meat chickens for a few years now and that's working very well.  Turkeys went great last year too.  Hopefully it goes well this year too.

Getting close to ready for the older boy's rabbitry to be ready.  A couple does and a buck and we'll be getting more rabbits than we can eat.

Older boy should draw a cow elk tag this year.  If we get one that's a good amount of meat even after splitting with my hunting buddies.

When I can drive again I want to go to the coast for some kayak fishing.  Unfortunately halibut season was mostly ruined by the covid insanity.  Got a tuna charter planned again.  Still need to eat the fillets from last year, and have quite a bit of canned tuna left too.

NYT can bite my big toe.