Author Topic: Minneapolis police in the news again  (Read 85950 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Minneapolis police in the news again
« Reply #925 on: March 12, 2021, 02:59:13 PM »
So if they find the officer not guilty does the city gets it's money back?
Yes I know the answer to that.

The city of Minneapolis on Friday agreed to pay $27 million to settle a civil lawsuit from George Floyd’s family over his death in police custody, even as jury selection continued in a former officer’s murder trial.

Minneapolis to pay $27 million to settle Floyd family lawsuit
https://www.wlky.com/article/minneapolis-to-pay-27m-to-settle-floyd-family-lawsuit/35824038
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #926 on: March 12, 2021, 03:07:28 PM »
The judge has agreed to let the prosecution to proceed with 3rd degree murder charges against Officer Chauvin.  We established a year ago that the MN statute for 3rd degree murder doesn't fit; there is case law with similar charges being dismissed.  (IIRC, it's because the depraved indifference or whatever they call it was not directed at the public at large, but at a specific individual; that ups the degree)

On the comments section of a local TV station website I mentioned that the fix is in; the prosecutors are trying to give the jury an intermediate charge to convict him with, knowing it will be thrown out on appeal.  I'm getting lots of down-votes for that.  =D [size=78%]  [/size]
"It's good, though..."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #927 on: June 25, 2021, 04:42:08 PM »
Sentence just handed down for Chauvin: 22 1/2 years.  I think he ultimately deserves more than that, but also he did not receive a fair trial. If there's any justice the conviction will be thrown-out on appeal.  Then (if he lives that long) the feds can have a go at it.

I am not optimistic about the justice part.

What's that weird 78% thing in my previous post? I didn't notice that before.
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #928 on: June 25, 2021, 05:59:47 PM »
Wait - so the sentence was for 12.5 years but because of "cruelty" the judge apparently added ten more years to his sentence?

I mean, the guy is guilty of something, but this whole "second degree + third degree + manslaughter" thing already rubs me the wrong way regarding just and fair punishment. The extra ten years sounds a little like mob appeasement to me.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #929 on: June 25, 2021, 07:26:09 PM »
I'm no Chauvinist and I'm not the biggest fan of cops around here but I think he got a raw deal.

He did what he was trained to do, didn't do what he was accused of and got thrown under a very large bus for acting according to policy by the people who made the policy.

And got an unfair trail in addition.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #930 on: June 25, 2021, 07:47:30 PM »
I'm no Chauvinist and I'm not the biggest fan of cops around here but I think he got a raw deal.

He did what he was trained to do, didn't do what he was accused of and got thrown under a very large bus for acting according to policy by the people who made the policy.

My thoughts almost exactly.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #931 on: June 25, 2021, 08:36:26 PM »

I don't disagree with that.  I think he murdered Floyd, but I can't figure out what the motive was.  I don't think it was racism.  Perhaps he was taking a knee for Kaepernick?  Or the first 30 seconds or so were justified, then the crowd told him to get off and he was professionally obligated to say FU to them?  I dunno.  But if they give him the needle, I won't lose any sleep over it if it's a fair trial.  (the feds won't go that far even tho' it's on the table, but they might give him life)
"It's good, though..."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #932 on: June 25, 2021, 08:48:22 PM »
I don't disagree with that.  I think he murdered Floyd, but I can't figure out what the motive was.

Early on, I saw a couple of articles that mentioned Chauvin and Floyd had a history. Apparently they had both worked as bouncers at the same club, and didn't get along.

I haven't seen references to that more recently, and I don't know if it's true.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #933 on: October 25, 2021, 11:33:03 PM »
Speaking of Minneapolis police

Mike Berg
@MikeKBerg
Ilhan Omar accuses police of not fulfilling their oath of office and blames them for the rise in violent crime in Minneapolis.

:facepalm:
Ilhan Omar, taking Gaslighting to a whole new level

video at the link
https://twitter.com/MikeKBerg/status/1452727174423891975
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #935 on: May 24, 2022, 11:29:26 AM »
Overdosed, shot, ...what difference now does it make? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge