Author Topic: Cancel Culture is Getting Ridiculous  (Read 39798 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Cancel Culture is Getting Ridiculous
« Reply #400 on: November 10, 2022, 11:57:22 AM »
The Babylon Bee will put up a completely over the top parody article and we laugh at the craziness. Within mere weeks it seems the left is demanding what was crazy parody you laughed at on BB must be accepted as normal or you're some extreme right wing bigot.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2022, 01:58:47 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #401 on: November 10, 2022, 12:02:56 PM »
SNL writers reportedly boycotting over Dave Chappelle appearance

SNL has writers??
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #402 on: November 10, 2022, 01:56:02 PM »
Who the heck even watches SNL anymore?

I suspect there are a lot of people like me, that don't watch Saturday night, but do sometimes watch individual sketches, when they appear on YouTube or NBC.com. (I've found sketch comedy is better that way.) I usually avoid any of their political stuff, though. Cuz ugh.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #403 on: November 11, 2022, 03:39:32 PM »
Nation Excitedly Anticipates First Funny SNL Episode In Years After Writers Boycott
https://babylonbee.com/news/snl-writers-boycott-making-for-funniest-episode-in-years
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #404 on: January 12, 2024, 09:06:44 AM »
Notice who's missing?

Woke Paramount Erases Captain Kirk and William Shatner from Star Trek Day Promo
https://www.wolfsheadonline.com/woke-paramount-erases-captain-kirk-and-william-shatner-from-star-trek-day-promo/

William Shatner says Paramount is ‘erasing’ Captain Kirk, blames those ‘threatened’ by the character
https://www.foxnews.com/media/william-shatner-paramount-erasing-captain-kirk-blames-threatened-character
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #405 on: January 12, 2024, 09:16:45 AM »
Shatner got it right when he said that no matter what they do, Kirk is so ingrained in the lore that no matter what they do, people will still know who the Kirk character is.

Coincidently though, in the stupid reddit suggestions email I get every day, there was a post asking why people diss on TOS so much. I was like, "WTH?" and read it, and apparently there's a large ST fanbase that don't consider TOS (THE ORIGINAL SERIES!) as part of the trek universe. It seems for a lot of people,  TNG is the "original series".
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #406 on: January 12, 2024, 11:05:25 AM »
Shatner has been by far the most openly conservative member of the bunch and note who is sitting in what should have been Kirk's spot.
I don't even recognize the 4th one on that poster and I consider myself a Star Trek fan.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Pb

• friend
« Reply #407 on: January 12, 2024, 11:07:16 AM »
Why are the cancelling Shatner? 

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #408 on: January 12, 2024, 11:13:46 AM »
Why are the cancelling Shatner?

I think it's just as much about cancelling TOS, which is hilarious considering the issues TOS covered at the time.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #409 on: January 12, 2024, 12:25:08 PM »
Dissing TOS has been going on a long time with the writers - or whoever they take directions from. I remember there was an episode of Voyager in which Capt. Janeway (Kate Mulgrew's character) dissed Kirk - IIRC it was something about how in Kirk's day people were too quick on the trigger and violated the Prime Directive too easily.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #410 on: January 12, 2024, 12:34:49 PM »
Dissing TOS has been going on a long time with the writers - or whoever they take directions from. I remember there was an episode of Voyager in which Capt. Janeway (Kate Mulgrew's character) dissed Kirk - IIRC it was something about how in Kirk's day people were too quick on the trigger and violated the Prime Directive too easily.

Even in TNG. While they did some really good episodes and improved with time, I've always thought that the first season was horrendous. It's like they wrote Season 1 Picard to be an arrogant ass that was the opposite of Kirk and as a diss to TOS. I remember that it bugged me that everytime Worf said something TOS-like, they'd have Picard and all the other bridge characters look at him with disdain.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #411 on: January 29, 2024, 02:43:56 PM »
More issues with TOS Star Trek

EU chiefs want to ban gendered phrases such as the classic Star Trek line: “To boldly go where no man has gone before”.

The bureaucrats say “no man” should be replaced by “no one”.
The phrase, made famous by Captain Kirk (William Shatner), has a red cross next to it in a 61-page toolkit on gender-sensitive communication.

EU agency the European Institute for Gender Equality calls it an example of “where women may be subject to invisibility or omission”.

World War One phrase “no man’s land” should be “unclaimed territory”, they say.

And, with inanimate objects, it is seen as discriminatory to say “the ship slipped her moorings”.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/25551111/eu-chiefs-ban-gendered-phrases-iconic-quotes/

Here's Shatner again

https://twitter.com/WilliamShatner/status/1751999415215141282

William Shatner Calls Out Woke EU Harpies Trying to Censor Star Trek Opening Monologue as Only HE Can
https://twitchy.com/samj/2024/01/29/william-shatner-calls-out-woke-want-to-censor-star-treks-opening-monologue-because-of-man-n2392321
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #412 on: January 30, 2024, 11:10:48 AM »
And, with inanimate objects, it is seen as discriminatory to say “the ship slipped her moorings”.

And "manhole cover" becomes "subterranean access corridor closure device."

They're still working on Manhattan, Manitoba, Mannheim, Manitowoc, Manzanillo, Manchester, and numerous other place names.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #413 on: January 30, 2024, 11:51:05 AM »
Back in the 1970s there was a local (central Pennsylvania) female broadcaster on one of the local TV stations, last name of Zimmerman.

One day she popped up on the air and her last name was now... Zimmerwoman.

Yep, she was a raging feminist and lesbian.

I hope someone pointed out that her last name sill had a man in it...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.