Author Topic: Cancel Culture is Getting Ridiculous  (Read 39753 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Cancel Culture is Getting Ridiculous
« on: June 18, 2020, 01:25:04 PM »
A non-celebrity, run of the mill average American woman was just fired from her job because two Karens at the Washington Post "outed" her for wearing blackface at a Halloween party. TWO YEARS after the incident, all because they want to get in on the current racism popularity contest.

The topper is that the woman is apparently far left, and her costume was a "blackface Megyn Kelly" because at the time, Megyn Kelly had just made the statement about blackface being okay on Halloween when she was a kid. So the woman was actually making a lefty statement against Megyn Kelly, and now, two years later, lost her job over it.

I guess in some ways, given the woman's political beliefs, she got what she would probably approve of someone else getting, so maybe I don't feel completely sorry for her. Yet, these "reporters" used their connections and their newspaper to ruin the life of a nobody, just so they could be popular with BLM and whoever.

Edit: Oops - helps if I post the URL.

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2020/06/18/pure-trash-washington-post-under-fire-after-getting-a-random-woman-fired-over-a-halloween-costume-from-2-years-ago/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Cancel Culture is Getting Ridiculous
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2020, 01:41:52 PM »
A non-celebrity, run of the mill average American woman was just fired from her job because two Karens at the Washington Post "outed" her for wearing blackface at a Halloween party. TWO YEARS after the incident, all because they want to get in on the current racism popularity contest.

The topper is that the woman is apparently far left, and her costume was a "blackface Megyn Kelly" because at the time, Megyn Kelly had just made the statement about blackface being okay on Halloween when she was a kid. So the woman was actually making a lefty statement against Megyn Kelly, and now, two years later, lost her job over it.

I guess in some ways, given the woman's political beliefs, she got what she would probably approve of someone else getting, so maybe I don't feel completely sorry for her. Yet, these "reporters" used their connections and their newspaper to ruin the life of a nobody, just so they could be popular with BLM and whoever.

Edit: Oops - helps if I post the URL.

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2020/06/18/pure-trash-washington-post-under-fire-after-getting-a-random-woman-fired-over-a-halloween-costume-from-2-years-ago/

I'm generally opposed to cancel culture, but I've come to appreciate this aspect of it, as they eat their own.

Apparently all the people who wore/wear blackface are liberals. I've never done it, I've never even considered it, and I've never been around anyone who's done it.

Admittedly, I don't go to lots of parties, but looking at the evidence, it seems blackface is a liberal thing. So let's encourage this.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2020, 01:45:36 PM »
I'm generally opposed to cancel culture, but I've come to appreciate this aspect of it, as they eat their own.

Apparently all the people who wore/wear blackface are liberals. I've never done it, I've never even considered it, and I've never been around anyone who's done it.

Admittedly, I don't go to lots of parties, but looking at the evidence, it seems blackface is a liberal thing. So let's encourage this.

I think liberals are more likely to post about their own stupidity on social media or are more likely to have friends,also liberal, that would post it. Got to remember, when they're doing it's not wrong/stupid
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2020, 01:50:02 PM »

I somewhat reluctantly agree with this. I normally don't like to get a grin out of something done to someone simply because I disagree with them, but the left has been ruining so many lives over minor crap just because those people are "the wrong people", that I can't help but get some schadenfreude out of the backfiring and "glass houses" aspect.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2020, 04:57:57 PM »

I generally agree that it never came up.  Cammo paint on the face is the only thing I ever considered and I don't remember doing that, but maybe.  That was an 80's action movie thing. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2020, 01:10:39 AM »
I somewhat reluctantly agree with this. I normally don't like to get a grin out of something done to someone simply because I disagree with them, but the left has been ruining so many lives over minor crap just because those people are "the wrong people", that I can't help but get some schadenfreude out of the backfiring and "glass houses" aspect.

There is the off-chance of some at least partial red-pilling when a "liberal" or one of their loved ones gets bitten by the cancelpalooza.

But how stupid is it to make fun of Megyn Kelly for saying blackface is OK on Halloween by actually wearing blackface on Halloween? Play stupid games...
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Pb

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2020, 10:17:55 AM »
Cancel culture is sickening.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2020, 10:51:07 AM »

Any yet it seems to be perfectly acceptable for black people to wear whiteface -and even make a movie with that as the theme!

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2020, 10:59:05 AM »
White Men Can't Jump
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2020, 11:14:10 AM »
Any yet it seems to be perfectly acceptable for black people to wear whiteface -and even make a movie with that as the theme!

SO FAR, no one has gone after Robert Downey Jr. for his "blackface" movie, so until that happens, I'm not calling hypocrisy on the Wayans.

Besides, "hypocrisy" would be, by far, the least of the sins of their movies.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2020, 11:31:33 AM »
SO FAR, no one has gone after Robert Downey Jr. for his "blackface" movie,

Actually they have been
- Calvin and Hobbes

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2020, 11:55:58 AM »
Actually they have been

One could say they went full retard. Hey, that offends retards!
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2020, 12:34:43 PM »
One could say they went full retard. Hey, that offends retards!

You can get cancelled for saying that, too.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2020, 01:34:51 PM »
It depends on what a "retard" is.  IMO, that word has not be used to refer to mentally handicapped people in quite some time.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2020, 01:42:23 PM »
SO FAR, no one has gone after Robert Downey Jr. for his "blackface" movie, so until that happens, I'm not calling hypocrisy on the Wayans.

Besides, "hypocrisy" would be, by far, the least of the sins of their movies.

Nobody tell them about The Jerk.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

HankB

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2020, 07:16:47 PM »
Nobody tell them about The Jerk.
The Jerk?

Nobody tell them about Uncle Ruckus!   :O   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9G3p_3u5GC0
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2020, 07:32:55 PM »
The Jerk?

Nobody tell them about Uncle Ruckus!   :O   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9G3p_3u5GC0

WTF was that??  I like his truck
"It's good, though..."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2020, 10:10:11 PM »
You can get cancelled for saying that, too.

Retard was the word of the day in the 90s when I was a kid. The special ed teacher was also our cross country coach. Pretty sure he still hates us.
AKA Navy Joe   

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2020, 05:55:57 AM »
I get called retard everyday at work.  Stupid Airbus.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2020, 12:19:52 PM »
That's not even the right gesture.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2020, 12:20:54 PM »
That's not even the right gesture.

It will be whatever gesture it needs to be for them to be offended
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2020, 12:46:20 PM »
Wow.  Not sure which is worse.  The "peaceful" protests that destroy all sorts of property or the knee jerk reactions by companies desperate to avoid race accusations. 

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2020, 01:37:40 PM »
Wow.  Not sure which is worse.  The "peaceful" protests that destroy all sorts of property or the knee jerk reactions by companies desperate to avoid race accusations. 
[img]https://media.nbcsandiego.com/2019/09/AIRCHECK_NBC_6PM_06-15-2020-1-e1592276586488.jpg?w=1024

Given the fuzzy pic, I'm wondering if it's a frame capture from a video, and wondering what his hand was  doing the rest of the time. I sometimes, when I'm bored, and that could include at a traffic stop, fidget by tapping my thumb to my fingertips. If somebody videotaped me and did a frame capture in the right spot, they might see me with my hand in the same position. A position which is innocuous and means absolutely nothing. Unless I flip my hand up and consciously touch my forefinger to my thumb, which then means "okay" and absolutely nothing else.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2020, 10:52:53 AM »
They got another one, good-bye Eskimo Pie. Wonder what this rage mob would do for a klondike bar? Better cancel Mounds and Almond Joy, one has nuts and one don't, Kaitlyn Jenner is offended.
AKA Navy Joe