Author Topic: Cancel Culture is Getting Ridiculous  (Read 39768 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Cancel Culture is Getting Ridiculous
« Reply #250 on: February 01, 2021, 04:10:21 PM »
YouTube has demonetized The Epoch Times:
https://www.theepochtimes.com/support-the-epoch-times-help-defend-independent-news_3680028.html

One can't help but wonder if Beijing had a hand in their decision.

Attacking a paper founded by Chinese immigrants. Isn't that a diversity hate crime?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #251 on: February 01, 2021, 04:18:10 PM »
No, it's nuanced; hater.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #252 on: February 03, 2021, 09:00:28 AM »
They want to cancel Harry Potter because the author as one commenter put it "dared to suggest biological women are distinct from biological men". Oh the horror!

Vox and IGN fretting over what Harry Potter fans should do since author J.K. Rowling is ‘transphobic’
https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2021/02/02/vox-and-ign-fretting-over-what-harry-potter-fans-should-do-since-author-j-k-rowling-is-transphobic/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #253 on: February 04, 2021, 06:02:44 PM »
Now they're after a 90s computer game  :facepalm:

What I didn’t remember were the extremely problematic Aliens references, where you come across naked women begging for death encased inside alien parasites. This is precisely where thoughtless reference becomes a big problem, because you always bring some piece of the original context of the reference with you—otherwise the reference would be unintelligible—and that context here, as anyone who’s seen an Alien film should know, is interspecies sexual violence. Her “kill me” line is copied verbatim from the film, making the context unmistakable, yet we’re meant to encounter it as little more than “Aliens reference! Cool!” before we shotgun her in the face and move on.

Thinking you can just cherry-pick loaded cultural symbols like this and arrange them willy-nilly without having to address any of their baggage is typical of masculine gaming culture’s zero-accountability stance that claims bad-faith satire as its persistent alibi. It should seem familiar to you even if you’ve never heard of Duke Nukem, because we’ve spent the last 20 years with more insidious variants of it in games like Grand Theft Auto.

The Hidden, Destructive Legacy of 'Duke Nukem'
https://www.vice.com/en/article/pkdvxb/the-hidden-destructive-legacy-of-duke-nukem

Absolute MORON Slams Duke Nukem & Spectacular Backlash Follows For Male Feminist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWzqryK-ZTw
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 06:16:12 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #254 on: February 04, 2021, 06:36:07 PM »
Now they're after a 90s computer game  :facepalm:

The Hidden, Destructive Legacy of 'Duke Nukem'
https://www.vice.com/en/article/pkdvxb/the-hidden-destructive-legacy-of-duke-nukem

Absolute MORON Slams Duke Nukem & Spectacular Backlash Follows For Male Feminist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWzqryK-ZTw

They have always hated Duke Nukem I remember the whining about it when I was a kid.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #255 on: February 04, 2021, 06:56:33 PM »
Remember that too, then they were mainly attacking the violence. Now they're attacking it over 20 years later over, oh what's the words for what I'm trying to say, non wokness or something like that.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #256 on: February 04, 2021, 07:02:56 PM »
Remember that too, then they were mainly attacking the violence. Now they're attacking it over 20 years later over, oh what's the words for what I'm trying to say, non wokness or something like that.

They bitched about the portrayal of women too in it back then

These tards make up everything including their wide array of mental illnesses to circle jerk with their peers. It’s pathetic that they are having to reach back over 20 years to offend themselves once more

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #257 on: February 04, 2021, 07:04:59 PM »
They bitched about the portrayal of women too in it back then

These tards make up everything including their wide array of mental illnesses to circle jerk with their peers. It’s pathetic that they are having to reach back over 20 years to offend themselves once more

They're bored now that Trump is gone
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #258 on: February 13, 2021, 10:49:47 AM »
If any of you are familiar with the Slate Star Codex blogger Scott Alexander (not his real name), he pulled his blog some time ago due to fears of being doxxed by The New Yawk Times.

This guy is no right winger, just a smart guy who talks with other smart guys about current events etc. I used to read him on and off over a few years. He eventually ran afoul of the leftists and they went in after him.

Apparently the writing was on the wall, he knew he was getting doxxed anyway, so he fired up another blog. The NYT finally ran the article where they reveal his name
https://www.unz.com/isteve/scott-alexander-has-now-been-doxed-by-the-ny-times/

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Scott_Alexander

new blog for those that read him:

https://astralcodexten.substack.com/

I figure there are probably at least a few here who are familiar with him, seems like he would be right up Millcreeks ally.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #259 on: February 17, 2021, 11:33:23 AM »
PUBLISHING HOUSE BAEN BOOKS ATTACKED BY CANCEL CULTURE

https://monsterhunternation.com/2021/02/16/publishing-house-baen-books-attacked-by-cancel-culture/

Larry Correia:
Baen Books is a sci-fi/fantasy publishing house that has been around since the early 1980s. They’ve published thousands of titles from hundreds of authors. Baen is notable in our current time period because it is one of the only traditional publishers who does not bend the knee to the woke mob. Our publisher, Toni Weisskopf, truly believes in free speech. Baen’s Bar is one of the oldest forums on the internet. It’s a place for authors and fans to hang out and talk. Today Toni is shutting down the Bar in order to stave off a Parler style cancel culture attack against Baen’s service providers...
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #260 on: February 17, 2021, 01:37:49 PM »
PUBLISHING HOUSE BAEN BOOKS ATTACKED BY CANCEL CULTURE

https://monsterhunternation.com/2021/02/16/publishing-house-baen-books-attacked-by-cancel-culture/

Larry Correia:

As a (hopefully) budding author, not long ago I went looking for web forums that dealt with writing and writers. I found and signed up for two of them. One runs (or ran) on vBulletin, the same forum software that The Firing Line and several other forums use. But this writing forum seemed to run awfully slowly compared to any other forum I have ever seen. After some poking around, I learned that they run some sort of filter between the forum host and the members as protection because, in the past, they had been subjected to denial or service attacks.

I thought that was odd. Why would anyone feel a desire or need to attack a forum used by fledgling and non-famous writers? I quickly discovered that the discussion areas that received the most traffic were the current events areas, and posts there had nothing to do with writing or publishing. They were all Orange man Bad posts. In one, someone posted about the increase in the national debt under Trump. I innocently pointed out that, as a percentage, the national debt had increased more during six of Obama's years in office than in any year of Trump's term. I was instantly attacked.

I don't do that forum any more. The other forum I signed up for is about writing and publishing. I'm sure if I had remained on that first forum I would have been cancelled in short order, just for speaking the truth.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #261 on: February 17, 2021, 01:46:08 PM »
McCarran airport in Las Vegas under the gun as the County Commissioners have finally sensed the wind blowing hard to the left and voted to re-name McCarran Airport (LAS) after the bastion of political leadership and bringer of great things to Nevada, Harry Reid.

It is because McCarran was a racist, a anti-Semite and xenophobe, although during his tenure in Congress (1933-1954) I am sure he was not the only one.

All they have managed to print about Reid was he was apologetic about saying Obama had a chance because he was "light skinned" and that he only used a "negro dialect" when he wanted to use it.

It will be a while but someday Reid will be cancelled and they will have to rename again, maybe something like Las Vegas International Airport should have been considered.

Personally I think they should have just gone with McKaren.

bob

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #262 on: February 17, 2021, 01:55:49 PM »
McCarran airport in Las Vegas under the gun as the County Commissioners have finally sensed the wind blowing hard to the left and voted to re-name McCarran Airport (LAS) after the bastion of political leadership and bringer of great things to Nevada, Harry Reid.

It is because McCarran was a racist, a anti-Semite and xenophobe, although during his tenure in Congress (1933-1954) I am sure he was not the only one.

All they have managed to print about Reid was he was apologetic about saying Obama had a chance because he was "light skinned" and that he only used a "negro dialect" when he wanted to use it.

It will be a while but someday Reid will be cancelled and they will have to rename again, maybe something like Las Vegas International Airport should have been considered.

Personally I think they should have just gone with McKaren.

bob

Main airport here went like this
Standiford Field --> Louisville International Airport --> Louisville Muhammad Ali International Airport
Call letters are still SDF
Everyone I know still calls it Standiford or just the Airport. The smaller airport here has always been called Bowman Field with no name changes so far since 1919.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 03:48:23 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #263 on: February 17, 2021, 03:35:32 PM »
Y’all need Daley city leadership. “What airport?” Cancel culture with balls and bulldozers.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #264 on: February 17, 2021, 07:33:07 PM »
It is because McCarran was a racist, a anti-Semite and xenophobe, although during his tenure in Congress (1933-1954)
Yup, a typical democrat.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #265 on: February 19, 2021, 08:57:24 AM »
I didn't think this was appropriate for the Rush Limbaugh RIP thread. A comparison of obituaries in the MSM:

https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2021/02/18/drew-holdens-megathread-comparing-media-obits-for-rush-limbaugh-to-irans-soleimani-and-others-speaks-volumes/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #266 on: February 23, 2021, 02:01:36 PM »
Next on the chopping block

Chief of Cherokee Nation says 'it's time' for Jeep to stop using tribe's name
https://www.wlky.com/article/cherokee-nation-jeep-stop-using-name/35592333
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #267 on: February 23, 2021, 02:22:35 PM »

It seems to me that an organized Cherokee Nation group has a lot more justification for demanding someone not use the name than the types of people we are used to hearing from.  I do wonder if they asked them to pay for the name or not.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #268 on: February 23, 2021, 02:53:05 PM »

The most recognized example of that type of effort is probably the arrangement between Florida State University and the Seminole Tribe of Florida. It includes a scholarship program for students from the reservation. In 2005, the Seminole Tribe issued a resolution calling its relationship with the school a "historic partnership." The Cherokee Nation said it has no such relationship with Jeep.

I suspect this is the crux of the matter. 
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #269 on: February 23, 2021, 05:23:28 PM »

Too bad they didn't get that worked up over Fauxcahantus claiming to be a Cherokee.
Cherokee nation political platform is pretty much a copy of the DNC with fewer ethics and more corruption.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #270 on: February 25, 2021, 01:39:17 PM »
Nothing is safe

‘Bigotry ANNIHILATED’! Hasbro’s Mr. Potato Head makeover will finally let kids ‘project their own ideas about gender, sexuality, and family onto the toy’
https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2021/02/25/bigotry-annihilated-hasbros-mr-potato-head-makeover-will-finally-let-kids-project-their-own-ideas-about-gender-sexuality-and-family-onto-the-toy/
- Calvin and Hobbes

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #271 on: February 25, 2021, 01:41:39 PM »
Nothing is safe

‘Bigotry ANNIHILATED’! Hasbro’s Mr. Potato Head makeover will finally let kids ‘project their own ideas about gender, sexuality, and family onto the toy’
https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2021/02/25/bigotry-annihilated-hasbros-mr-potato-head-makeover-will-finally-let-kids-project-their-own-ideas-about-gender-sexuality-and-family-onto-the-toy/

Not as bad as I thought.  (I was afraid they'd given him a removeable dick)
"It's good, though..."

WLJ

• friends
- Calvin and Hobbes

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #273 on: February 25, 2021, 04:27:45 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCG3WgYxPkI

Why did I immediately think of Greta Thunberg when I saw that?

"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #274 on: February 25, 2021, 05:45:59 PM »
Why did I immediately think of Greta Thunberg when I saw that?

Because of the "How dare you" response to Buzz's "Man" statement.
Gritty Greta likes to chastise others with the same phrase.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”