Author Topic: Cancel Culture is Getting Ridiculous  (Read 39771 times)

Pb

• friend
Re: Cancel Culture is Getting Ridiculous
« Reply #375 on: May 14, 2022, 10:00:05 AM »
The race of the character doesn't matter, as long as they look like the character.  So if they want to have black man playing bond, they better slather him with enough pink makeup to make him look Scottish.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #376 on: May 14, 2022, 11:47:29 AM »
The worm turns.

Anyone remember the author, Tony Hillerman, and his Jim Chee mysteries set on the Navajo reservation? In 1991 Robert Redford made a movie out of one of the books, The Dark Wind.. It starred Lou Diamond Phillips (who is not Native American except for a trace of Cherokee on his father's side) as Jim Chee. There was so much negative publicity about casting a non-Native American in the primary role that the film was never released, even though it was completed.

But suddenly it's not only okay but de riguer to cast Hispanics as old, white British colonists, black women as a womanizing as Scottish sectret agent, yada, yada. Next up: a transgender "female" bodybuilder as Wonder Woman. And it will use them/their as its pronouns.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #377 on: May 14, 2022, 11:59:13 AM »
Both the Japanese and Chinese will throw fits if a Chinese is used to portray a Japanese character and vice versa. Memoirs of a Geisha being a notable example
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #378 on: May 14, 2022, 06:33:52 PM »
Then there's Steven Seagal's On Deadly Ground, in which Joan Chen (a Chinese-American) plays an Eskimo chief's daughter. At one point in the fim Seagal asks her if she can ride a horse, to which she replies, "Of course -- I'm a Native American." Leaving us to suppose, I guess, that all Eskimo villages have a few horses scattered about in case their sled dogs need a day off.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #379 on: May 15, 2022, 07:04:12 AM »
Then there's Steven Seagal's On Deadly Ground, in which Joan Chen (a Chinese-American) plays an Eskimo chief's daughter. At one point in the fim Seagal asks her if she can ride a horse, to which she replies, "Of course -- I'm a Native American." Leaving us to suppose, I guess, that all Eskimo villages have a few horses scattered about in case their sled dogs need a day off.

Bet she could put away the firewater, too.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #380 on: May 15, 2022, 07:43:56 AM »

There was a lot more wrong with that movie than the chinese casting.  Also, in the 90's this wasn't really a topic of outrage.

Let's not forget the time Sean Connery used a squint and spray tan to be Japanese.  Probably wouldn't fly today.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #381 on: May 15, 2022, 07:55:13 AM »
[quote author=dogmush link=topic=62419.msg1354612#msg1354612 date=1652615036

Let's not forget the time Sean Connery used a squint and spray tan to be Japanese.  Probably wouldn't fly today.[/quote]

That was not casting, it was a disguise his James Bond character used to infiltrate the evil Japanese overlord's lair.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #382 on: July 01, 2022, 09:39:04 AM »
"Someone complained"

Wayne said that he noticed the display was missing a few weeks ago and asked librarians what happened. He was told the display was removed after some type of complaint, but did not provide further details, according to the College Fix.

Cornell University removes Gettysburg Address, Lincoln bust from library after alleged complaint
https://www.foxnews.com/us/cornell-university-removes-gettysburg-address-lincoln-bust-from-library-alleged-complaint

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #383 on: July 01, 2022, 09:48:24 AM »
Let's not forget the time Sean Connery used a squint and spray tan to be Japanese.  Probably wouldn't fly today.

That was not casting, it was a disguise his James Bond character used to infiltrate the evil Japanese overlord's lair.

Looked real convincing too  ;/
I could see it fooling someone in 1850 Europe where they they've never seen a real Japanese person in person before and only had a vague idea from cartoon like drawings what one looked liked if that but fooling actual Japanese?
Now I can't remember but were they maybe trying to pass him off as Japanese with European blood?
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #384 on: July 01, 2022, 10:33:49 AM »
I could see it fooling someone in 1850 Europe where they they've never seen a real Japanese person in person before and only had a vague idea from cartoon like drawings what one looked liked if that but fooling actual Japanese?
Now I can't remember but were they maybe trying to pass him off as Japanese with European blood?
Are you telling me that you didn't believe John Wayne was Genghis Khan?  You have no imagination!   =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #385 on: July 01, 2022, 10:53:26 AM »
Are you telling me that you didn't believe John Wayne was Genghis Khan?  You have no imagination!   =D

The only time I remember off the top off my head I was half way convinced, looks wise, was in the movie Remo Williams, can't remember the actor's name. But even there the guy looked more Central Chinese than Korean which he suppose to be.
But it's been decades since I've seen that movie.
- Calvin and Hobbes

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #386 on: July 01, 2022, 12:46:03 PM »
"Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins" - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089901/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
Fred Ward was Remo.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #387 on: July 01, 2022, 12:51:48 PM »
"Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins" - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089901/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
Fred Ward was Remo.

Joel Grey was the actor in that I'm referring to
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #388 on: July 01, 2022, 05:11:21 PM »

No, they were trying to pass him off as Japanese so he could operate out of the small fishing village near the evil villain's secret rocket base without arousing suspicion.  The villain, Ernst Stavro Blofeld, had hidden it in a nearby volcano, of course.  Bond only knew it was somewhere near the village, but didn't know it was in the volcano.

As it happens, I just watched this movie again early this week.  "You Only Live Twice", which was Sean Connery's second to last Bond film if I remember correctly (not counting "Never Say Never Again").
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #389 on: July 01, 2022, 05:16:00 PM »
No, they were trying to pass him off as Japanese so he could operate out of the small fishing village near the evil villain's secret rocket base without arousing suspicion.  The base was hidden in a nearby volcano, of course.  Bond only knew it was somewhere near the village, but didn't know it was in the volcano.

I know the story, just been a while since I've seen the movie and I couldn't remember if they were trying to pass him off as Japanese or as a Japanese/European mix. As a mix I could somewhat see it but you would have to had some really bad eyesight to think he was pure Japanese.
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #390 on: July 01, 2022, 05:18:54 PM »
I know the story, just been a while since I've seen the movie and I couldn't remember if they were trying to pass him off as Japanese or as a Japanese/European mix. You would have to had some really bad eyesight to think he was Japanese.

You'd have had to be blind in one eye and deaf in the other.  Part way through the film where he was supposed to be disguised, they apparently just gave up as all the makeup and prosthetics had disappeared.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #391 on: July 01, 2022, 05:23:43 PM »
Give him some pointy ears and he could pass as Romulan

- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #392 on: July 01, 2022, 05:29:48 PM »
^^^ He could at that.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #393 on: July 01, 2022, 06:25:07 PM »
You only live twice was filmed in 1966 (released in 67)
Romulans first appear in ST in 1966
Hmmm
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #394 on: September 24, 2022, 09:51:19 AM »
The left really can't stand it when you poke fun at them

Now Dilbert is racist! Popular comic strip is canned by 77 newspapers after artist Scott Adams began incorporating anti-woke plotlines, including black character who identifies as white
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11235995/Dilbert-comic-strip-canned-77-newspapers-artist-Scott-Adams-included-anti-woke-plotlines.html
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #395 on: September 24, 2022, 11:41:54 AM »
The left really can't stand it when you poke fun at them

Now Dilbert is racist! Popular comic strip is canned by 77 newspapers after artist Scott Adams began incorporating anti-woke plotlines, including black character who identifies as white
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11235995/Dilbert-comic-strip-canned-77-newspapers-artist-Scott-Adams-included-anti-woke-plotlines.html

Scott Adams took issue with that characterization of the drop, and of what he said about it.

https://twitter.com/ScottAdamsSays/status/1573342397748203522?s=20&t=5i9xdNSUI41TcvEiJEuDoQ

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #396 on: September 24, 2022, 11:52:30 AM »
Scott Adams took issue with that characterization of the drop, and of what he said about it.

https://twitter.com/ScottAdamsSays/status/1573342397748203522?s=20&t=5i9xdNSUI41TcvEiJEuDoQ

The article link in the link reads like he trying placate them
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #397 on: September 24, 2022, 12:47:26 PM »
I have no idea, I just knew that he had taken issue with the articles headline and thought it deserved a mention.  The Daily Mail article you linked is the same article and framing that he had objected to.

I think, from following him on twitter and listening to several of his podcasts, that Scott Adams is unlikely to hide something to try and placate wokies, but I won't pretend I know the man's inner workings.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #398 on: November 10, 2022, 09:28:34 AM »
SNL writers reportedly boycotting over Dave Chappelle appearance

Make a trans joke and the left will never forgive you.
Who the heck even watches SNL anymore?

Report: SNL writers may boycott over host Dave Chappelle
https://twitchy.com/amy-313134/2022/11/09/report-snl-writers-may-boycott-over-host-dave-chappelle/
- Calvin and Hobbes

Pb

• friend
« Reply #399 on: November 10, 2022, 11:42:36 AM »
Do you know why the left isn't funny any more?

Humor is funny when it subverts expectations.

We expect one thing- but there is a jarring clash with what we actually hear or see.  We resolve the tension with a laugh.

In more a more traditional time, most comedy was leftist-leaning.

Now that the left has control of most of the government apparatus, schools, media and "science" they bombard us with this rubbish all the time.  We expect to hear crap about white people being racists, men are evil, global warming, abortion is good, and so on.

Hearing that same crap from a "comedian" subverts no expectations at all.  It is not jarring, there is no tension there.  It is isn't funny.

That's why the Onion hasn't been funny for many years now.  They preach the same stupid crap we hear constantly.  The left has become a bunch of preachy, hateful, puritanical scolds... which is what the right was supposed to be.  The left is the one defending orthodoxy against heretics poking fun at the their religion.

Now conservative opinions are subversive... and the only really funny comedy leans right wing.