Author Topic: Be a Starlink Beta Tester  (Read 6773 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Be a Starlink Beta Tester
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2020, 10:39:05 AM »
I'm actually curious if they are asking for high rez data on everyone who signed up, or if they have parsed out zip codes above a certain latitude.  I would then expect population density to be next.

I guess if people like AZRedhawk or Dogmush say they got an address request too, then they're likely still in the "broad scope" stage.

EDIT: Dogmush posted while I was typing. That answers that. Or it's just Musk and SPECTRE collecting data on everyone.  :laugh:

No e-mail here. I signed up when we first discussed it.

I'm at 41.38 degrees N.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2020, 09:42:13 AM »
The cost and preliminary speeds are out. SpaceX is at least being honest regarding what people should expect in the early stages.

$100/mo plus $500 for the sat kit.
50-150MBPS
20-40ms latency

I'm paying $80 for 10MBPS now (averaging 15MBPS) so twenty more ducats for 50MBPS or higher would be a no-brainer for me, given latency improves to the low end of their given range and they can show minimal downtime. The equipment cost is a little high, but not ridiculous.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/27/spacex-starlink-service-priced-at-99-a-month-public-beta-test-begins.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2020, 10:18:29 AM »
These stories make me feel bad/guilty for having gigabit fiber.
I promise not to duck.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2020, 10:33:18 AM »
These stories make me feel bad/guilty for having gigabit fiber.

Not me  =D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2020, 09:02:22 PM »
I just ran a test at Speedtest.net.  This is what you get with Dish satellite......

Ping                  602
Download Mbps   3.31
Upload Mbps       5.06       :'(  :mad:  :'(

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2020, 09:17:25 PM »
Thought I'd signed up before, just tried again to see what would happen.  I must not have, 'cause the Starlink system didn't recognize my address.  Ended up using the plus code & city - it seemed to go through this time. 

But I'm too far south if they're working above 42*N. 

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2020, 08:53:07 AM »
The cost and preliminary speeds are out. SpaceX is at least being honest regarding what people should expect in the early stages.

$100/mo plus $500 for the sat kit.
50-150MBPS
20-40ms latency

I'm paying $80 for 10MBPS now (averaging 15MBPS) so twenty more ducats for 50MBPS or higher would be a no-brainer for me, given latency improves to the low end of their given range and they can show minimal downtime. The equipment cost is a little high, but not ridiculous.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/27/spacex-starlink-service-priced-at-99-a-month-public-beta-test-begins.html
That is pretty good speed.  Lots of people out in rural areas (or just not in big cities) paying as much per month for a lot less speed.  I am paying about the same for 50 MBPS. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2020, 09:11:43 AM »
I would have been content with the price and performance if fiber optic hadn't been available at the new place.

But I'm all about paying less for more.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2021, 02:04:57 PM »
I have just now received an email saying that Starlink service is available at my residential address:

Starlink is now available in limited supply in your service area!

During beta users can expect to see data speeds vary from 50Mb/s to 150Mb/s and latency from 20ms to 40ms in most locations over the next several months as we enhance the Starlink system. There will also be brief periods of no connectivity at all.

As we launch more satellites, install more ground stations and improve our networking software, data speed, latency and uptime will improve dramatically. For latency, we expect to achieve 16ms to 19ms by summer 2021. 

To check availability for your location, visit Starlink.com and re-enter your email and service address. If available, you will be immediately redirected to the Starlink order page.

Availability is limited so orders must be completed within 15 minutes of landing on the order page. If you are not able to order at this time, the Starlink team will continue to send updates as more capacity becomes available.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2021, 02:26:33 PM »
Nothing for me yet. Even at 50mbs, it's way faster than I have now at $20 more per month. The sat kit is still a bit pricey, but I think it is worth it.

I was already looking at going to the next tier for my fixed wireless, but that would lock me into a year contract. Think I'll stay at the tier I am now and maybe by Summer I'll have Starlink access in these parts.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #60 on: January 20, 2021, 03:12:40 PM »
I just checked.

Thank you for your request!

You will be notified via email when service becomes available in your area.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #61 on: January 20, 2021, 07:02:41 PM »
I just checked.

Thank you for your request!

You will be notified via email when service becomes available in your area.

Same here. 

Damn. 

I am curious as to their definition of ".... brief periods of no connectivity".

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #62 on: January 20, 2021, 08:21:16 PM »

It's still in beta, so that's to be expected. Heck even my fixed wireless goes down for short periods once in a while. One of the things ya gotta suck up in rural living I guess.  :laugh:

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #63 on: January 20, 2021, 08:38:58 PM »
Occasional loss of connectivity is something I live with, daily.  I don't live in the sticks per se*, but the only internet connection available here is satellite.  Get a bit of cloud cover and you're back to reading a paper book.  Same thing with TV. 

My question was/is how long is "brief"?  If you're taking the long view, "brief" can be days.

*It's only 15 miles to the nearest big city of ~3k, about 30 miles to ~20k.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #64 on: January 21, 2021, 01:52:51 AM »

Same here. 

Damn. 

Empty patches of the satellite constellation that are still to be filled or a dud satellite happened and let its spot open.  They've had a couple duds out of the hundreds launched so far.  That sorta thing.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #65 on: January 21, 2021, 09:58:10 AM »
This is cool... Worth checking out.

And I'm amazed at how much coverage they've already gotten. I think any legacy company would have taken decades to get even this far.

https://orbitalindex.com/feature/starlink-coverage/

I promise not to duck.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #66 on: January 21, 2021, 07:06:15 PM »
Can I connect to it from a plane?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #67 on: January 22, 2021, 10:53:11 AM »
Can I connect to it from a plane?

Right now? No. Starlink does not work directly with cellphones or laptops etc. There's an external dish you need.

You probably could get Starlink working on an aircraft, but you'd need an aerodynamic RF transparent radome on the outside that would allow the starlink antenna to swivel and point at the satellite as both you and the satellite move. Starlink service needs an antenna that looks like this. It's powered and it moves to track satellites across the sky...

https://youtu.be/cU2y-QmQfXY

So in theory, yes, but in practice, not without some major design and engineering to get it implemented. There's also going to be programming and firmware needed, since I presume the Starlink system and it's tracking is currently optimized to work from a fixed ground position.  

And I'm no engineer, so I don't know what the orbital specs of the satellites current commercial aircraft with in-flight internet service use, so the radome covering the Starlink antenna might need to be taller/bigger to give it enough vertical deflection which then could cause problems mounting it on the airframe.  I don't know if the internet satellites that currently service aircraft are geostationary or what. If they are, that simplifies things for the current setups in use since obviously it's position in the sky won't change, and they can use an antenna that's optimized for only horizontal rotation, and the antenna is set to cover the sky in an angle covering for the height of the satellite based on it's elevation in the latitudes the airliner is expected to operate at.

Starlink uses many more satellites that are constantly moving across the sky. Which means the antenna needs to be a lot more active to track them.

From watching teardown videos, I do know that the Starlink antenna is a phased array. So maybe it's possible to cut up the array and make it into little tilting tiles, so the array only needs to spin on the horizontal axis and the individual tilting elements can track the satellite in the vertical azimuth above the horizon. And that would allow for a smaller/flatter radome. But again, Starlink would need to cooperate with such an endeavor on their end too.

I would hazard a guess that Starlink will address the boat, RV, and aircraft Internet markets in some way sooner or later. However we'll have to wait for them to release products and antennas optimized for it.

I promise not to duck.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #68 on: January 22, 2021, 06:55:33 PM »
Something like this would be nice to have for a Starlink connection:

Winegard RT2035T Roadtrip T4 In-Motion RV Satellite Antenna   https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DZ8JLC6?tag=campersmarts-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #69 on: February 19, 2021, 09:05:44 AM »
I just got my Starlink email.  Reading the email, it seems i should expect some downtime if I get it now. On the other hand, if there is a six month queue, they'll probably have a lot more bugs worked out by then, so I might go ahead and get in line now.

Starlink is now available for order to a limited number of users in your coverage area. Placing your order now will hold your place in line for future service. Orders will be fulfilled on a first-come, first-served basis.

During beta, users can expect to see data speeds vary from 50Mb/s to 150Mb/s and latency from 20ms to 40ms in most locations over the next several months as we enhance the Starlink system. There will also be brief periods of no connectivity at all.

As we launch more satellites, install more ground stations and improve our networking software, data speed, latency and uptime will improve dramatically.

The Starlink team will provide periodic updates on availability as we launch more satellites and expand our coverage area. Depending on your location, some orders may take 6 months or more to fulfill.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: February 19, 2021, 10:27:20 AM »
I got mine yesterday too.  I recently got fiber so it's no longer an issue but sent it along to some friends.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #71 on: February 19, 2021, 10:41:57 AM »
I got the email yesterday. Didn’t sign on.
Looks like $95 now to hold a spot, $495 for hardware when available, and $99 per month after.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #72 on: February 19, 2021, 11:09:01 AM »
Yeah, I’ll be waiting for them to get enough satellites up there, and enough bugs worked out to be reliable.  Then I’ll sign up.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #73 on: February 19, 2021, 11:11:16 AM »
I got the email yesterday. Didn’t sign on.
Looks like $95 now to hold a spot, $495 for hardware when available, and $99 per month after.

Is the 95 ducats refundable, or you lose it if you get out of line?

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #74 on: February 19, 2021, 11:57:45 AM »
Refundable, supposedly.  That said I know people reported a lot of difficulty in getting refunds from Tesla when they changed their mind on a Model 3 or whatever.  Maybe SpaceX will be better for that.