Author Topic: Be a Starlink Beta Tester  (Read 6749 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Be a Starlink Beta Tester
« Reply #75 on: February 19, 2021, 01:39:40 PM »
I received an e-mail from Starlink yesterday or the day before. Don't know why they bothered -- I immediately went to their site to check availability, and it's still not available where I live.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #76 on: February 23, 2021, 08:11:37 PM »
I got my email today. They are expecting to ship to FL "mid to late" 2021.  I went ahead and signed up and gave them the deposit. It would be cool to have, and I really want to tell Frontier and Spectrum  to pound sand.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #77 on: February 23, 2021, 08:25:01 PM »
I got the email this morning.  I have to look up our current contract before signing with Starlink.

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #78 on: February 24, 2021, 09:55:28 AM »
$499 set up cost and $99 a month for the same speeds I have now isn't a benefit for me.  I can see how it would be a benefit in low population-density areas where options are limited though.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #79 on: February 24, 2021, 10:02:31 AM »
$499 set up cost and $99 a month for the same speeds I have now isn't a benefit for me.  I can see how it would be a benefit in low population-density areas where options are limited though.

I read the article on my phone yesterday, and can't find it now, but it included some Musk statements. He said they are actually going fairly high resolution on where they send these invites out. They are targeting addresses outside city centers, and he also said while they will have global coverage, it will be limited availability in local regions. In other words it sounded like they, at least at this time, won't make it available to urban addresses. He said he wanted to make sure Starlink gave underserved areas the first priority. He also said he expected to see 300mbps most everywhere by the end of the year.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #80 on: February 26, 2021, 08:27:40 AM »
Map of where Starlink is currently being used:

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/starlink-coverage-map-revealed-heres-where-people-are-using-the-service

WA has really bought into it. The only part of Southern Idaho that has is where I live. Though I only just got my sign up email, so either some other people got way ahead of me in line, or I wonder if the numbers include those who have signed up but haven't received the equipment yet?

Oh, also, they mentioned this:

While it doesn't stand to make too much of a difference for urban and suburban areas, Starlink could be a huge boon for rural communities. It's currently in beta with no data cap.

Maybe it's just inaccurate writing, but that worries me. A data cap would completely change my view of Starlink. It would not be for me.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #81 on: March 15, 2021, 11:35:01 AM »
Tesmanian.com
@Tesmanian_com
Starlink Is Key To Funding SpaceX’s Starship Fleet To Colonize Mars
Elon Musk
@elonmusk
·
13h
Replying to
@Tesmanian_com
Yes
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes