Author Topic: Sweetcorn, first of the season  (Read 6290 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Sweetcorn, first of the season
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2020, 10:34:07 AM »
Did you make your own crema or did you buy it?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2020, 02:25:19 PM »
Did you make your own crema or did you buy it?
Bought it this time at the local Mexican market.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2020, 04:35:02 PM »
I didn't have time to go to the Amish market when I got mower fuel the other day so went next door to he grocery store.

Corn looked great but taste sucked. They should have left in the field a little longer and made it into feed.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2020, 05:10:03 PM »
At Costco today with the wife and I see “Mexican street corn” in the freezer section. Roasted and off the cob with cheese sauce and seasoning etc. 4x14oz packets for 10.69
I said hey honey look at that! She just shrugged and said, “probably not as good as yours.”
I didn’t buy any but it looked interesting.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2020, 07:05:54 PM »
My local grocer has corn on the cob five for $2.00, which comes to 40 cents apiece.  Much cheaper than I remembered.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2020, 07:02:33 AM »
Local grocery store here had it on sale last week for 5 ears for $1.

Problem is, it's rarely very good by the time it's picked and goes through processing and finally reaches the store.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2020, 08:38:46 AM »
I'm being inundated with sweet corn right now from neighbors dropping it off. So much better than the store, but I can't eat eat fast enough. I need to look at some of the freezing recipes before it all goes bad.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2020, 09:29:06 AM »
I'll ask my wife at lunch I can't remember if she blanches or what but we have some pretty good corn in the winter. Most years we have a lot but I haven't had a good ear yet this year.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2020, 10:13:51 AM »
I'll ask my wife at lunch I can't remember if she blanches or what but we have some pretty good corn in the winter. Most years we have a lot but I haven't had a good ear yet this year.

Thanks. My own corn is not looking too good. This is my first year with an Idaho garden and some stuff that I grew well in CA is not doing as well here as I adjust to growing in the climate. Corn is one of them. Also, somewhat comically as it IS Idaho, my potatoes are dinky. Onions did great, and one shining star is that my German Queen tomatoes are doing really well. I was lucky to get a few good ones off the plant in CA, even as other varieties did great, but the one I have now is going gangbusters.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2020, 01:20:00 PM »
Silver Bullet, you’re a hero sir (or madam or nonbinary or whatever)
I shared your elote recipe with my sister who is a genuine foodie and frequent dinner hostess. Everyone declares it most awesome sweet corn ever.
I’m hosting a small gathering next weekend and am planning to do carne asada in the pit barrel and some elote. I think margaritas and some good Mellon and ice cream will round things out nicely.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2020, 01:29:36 PM »
Kingcreek,

Thanks for the kind words.  I hope to prepare this same recipe next weekend.

I'm a "sir", not a "madam", as you can tell by my profile picture, where I'm standing outside my red rocket ship.   :lol:

And the real hero ("shero"? =D) is the Ms. Keno identified in the web link.  I presume from the text that this recipe is her creation.  My part in this was only the humble messenger.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2020, 05:10:48 PM »
I noticed corn today at 50 cents an ear.  We've been getting some from a local farmer that has been delicious.  I don't know what he charges as our grandson has been bringing us a couple ears now and than.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw