Author Topic: Oh boy, this is going to be interesting... NY AG seeks to dissolve NRA  (Read 8326 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
Re: Oh boy, this is going to be interesting... NY AG seeks to dissolve NRA
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2020, 12:04:57 PM »
Well, I think they got this part right:
The suit argues that the four executives, including CEO Wayne LaPierre, shouldn’t be permitted to ever again serve on the board of a New York charity.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2020, 12:10:53 PM »
Agreed.  From what I have heard previously, all the allegations are true. 

The question in my mind is what happens to any property or possessions owned by the NRA?  I assume someone will attempt to reform the group in another state (hopefully without the current leadership). 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2020, 12:19:31 PM »
Well, I think they got this part right:

This, once again, shows that Wayne is in it for Wayne. If he cared a lick about the NRA above his salary and perks, he would have stood down over a year ago. Even if charges were overblown, or he was trying to still make himself look good, he could have done the, "I did nothing wrong, but to protect the NRA..." spiel and stepped down, even as a self-proclaimed victim.

That he basically did an "FU" is infuriating, because it was an "FU" to the NRA and its members much more than it was to this or any other DA or anti-NRA organization.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2020, 12:31:10 PM »
Does standing come from the NRA being registered as a NY charity? How can they compel what happens to the organization everywhere else? If it gets Wayne canned I’ll allow it.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2020, 03:52:25 PM »
NRA files counter suit alleging defamation, unequal treatment, and Freedom of Speech violations.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/nra-lawsuit-ny-attorney-general-lawsuit

Based on how the NY Atty Gen expressed herself in the past with regard to the NRA, they have substantive evidence on their side. Much of it will depend on which court hears the case.

Brad
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 04:04:32 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2020, 04:02:14 PM »
NRA files counter suit alleging defamation, unequal treatment, and Freedom of Speech violations.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/nra-lawsuit-ny-attorney-general-lawsuit

Based on how the NY Atty Gen expressed herself herself in the past with regard to the NRA, they have substantive evidence on their side. Much of it will depend on which court hears the case.

Brad

Well, it's ridiculous that a state attorney thinks she can shut down the national NRA, especially given her supposed reasoning of, "The executives cheated the NRA members". Then go after the executives, not the organization at large that you claim was injured by the executives.

Still, Wayne and a few other higher ups get a good portion of the blame for this existing in the first place. They are the deep state of the NRA.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2020, 05:56:53 PM »
Looks like early analysis is that all the gun voters will be riled up. Should have been for the last twenty years. I wonder if NY AG thinks this horrifies gun owners. Them vs. Wayne is like commies vs. nazis.  [popcorn] [popcorn] [popcorn]
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2020, 06:58:16 PM »
I got tired of the NRA when I was getting weekly emails that said they are going to take your guns if you don't send $25-$100 right now.

But yeah someone just stirred up a big part of the republican base. (Many not in the NRA just support 2A.) Hope she likes poking that hornet nest.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2020, 07:11:39 PM »
I don’t like the idea of an obviously biased AG going after any Civil Rights group. There does appear to be some mismanagement going on within the NRA, however the things she seems to be making accusations about are not exactly unique to the NRA. I don’t see her going after other so called charitable organizations that have outrageous benefits for the leaders. That should probably be dealt with by the members. I have no doubt that in this case this is a political hit job, not to protect the members of the NRA.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2020, 07:15:36 PM »
I don’t see her going after other so called charitable organizations that have outrageous benefits for the leaders.

Yup. Planned Parenthood comes to mind, and even the Red Cross wastes ridiculous amounts of contribution money on their executives. I try not to give to organizations that waste money in this manner. I'm a Benefactor member of the NRA, so have already contributed a good bit, but have not been giving the last couple of years as I wait for them to get things together.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2020, 08:46:59 PM »
This came up a while back, with the added wrinkle that she said she wanted to get the membership list.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2020, 09:14:15 PM »
I got tired of the NRA when I was getting weekly emails that said they are going to take your guns if you don't send $25-$100 right now.

But yeah someone just stirred up a big part of the republican base. (Many not in the NRA just support 2A.) Hope she likes poking that hornet nest.

One of their telemarketers called me years ago and claimed that the UN was coming for our guns if we didn’t donate 😂😂😂
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2020, 09:43:11 PM »
Yeah that one seems to happen every two to four years when a dem is in office.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2020, 11:13:07 PM »
The NY AG has determined that the NRA is the victim of fraud and embezzlement, so she wants to kill the NRA.  Isn't that kinda like stoning a woman to death because she was raped?  (who does that?  ;/ )  If the allegations are true (and I think they are), why not a criminal indictment of the perpetrators?  Because it's not about the fraud at all, it's just an excuse to punish the NRA for existing, and to earn political points.
"It's good, though..."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2020, 11:44:40 PM »
I hear some politicians in TX are inviting the NRA to move here, and I saw a clip of Trump saying that Texas would be a great place for the NRA.

As for Wayne . . . a $30,000 wardrobe shopping spree reimbursement for a guy that already makes over a million bucks a year salary?

Really?

:facepalm:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2020, 11:54:28 PM »
I was sent a picture of Wayne's young attractive blonde "intern"
Her apt allegedly cost 3000 a month.

I can appreciate wanting to mentor young women and being willing to help them out financially ....
However, with your own money, not mine, contributed to bribe politicians ... not....  young attractive blonde "interns"
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2020, 06:32:21 AM »
I hear some politicians in TX are inviting the NRA to move here, and I saw a clip of Trump saying that Texas would be a great place for the NRA.

I thought the NRA was HQ'ed in Virginia.  What do they have in NY that the NY AG can go after?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2020, 06:58:05 AM »
I thought the NRA was HQ'ed in Virginia.  What do they have in NY that the NY AG can go after?

Their non profit charter was granted by NY.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2020, 07:31:08 AM »
I was sent a picture of Wayne's young attractive blonde "intern"
Her apt allegedly cost 3000 a month.

I can appreciate wanting to mentor young women and being willing to help them out financially ....
However, with your own money, not mine, contributed to bribe politicians ... not....  young attractive blonde "interns"

Wouldn't be the first time that an NRA EVP stuck the association with the bills for a concubine. Ray Arnett was ousted from NRA in 1986 for having his doxy on the NRA payroll and giving her a huge salary increase without authorization.

J. Warren Cassidy was ousted from his EVP position in the 1990s for, in part, creeping on Marsha Beasley. They allegedly settled with her before her lawsuit went to trial when they got word of just how much dirt she had on Cassidy's extra curricular activities with staff members. Then there was the whole membership computer system fiasco that cost the association untold millions of wasted dollars.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2020, 02:04:29 PM »
This came up a while back, with the added wrinkle that she said she wanted to get the membership list.

... and suddenly it all becomes clear ...
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2020, 05:27:56 PM »

What? They just want to add them to the democrat voter rolls
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2020, 05:49:02 PM »

Within the bounds of this suit, is there a legal justification to force the NRA to hand those over? Given how they might be used, I put them in the same bucket as CCW holder data - something I don't want easily available.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2020, 06:40:09 PM »
Something brewing in DC too

AG Racine Sues NRA Foundation for Diverting Charitable Funds to Support Wasteful Spending by NRA and Its Executives
https://oag.dc.gov/release/ag-racine-sues-nra-foundation-diverting-charitable

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Attorney General Karl A. Racine today filed a lawsuit against the NRA Foundation and the National Rifle Association (NRA) for misusing charitable funds to support wasteful spending by the NRA and its executives. In its lawsuit, the Office of the Attorney General (OAG) alleges that the NRA Foundation violated District laws by allowing charitable funds to be used for noncharitable purposes, failing to operate independently, and placing the NRA’s interests ahead of its own charitable purposes. OAG also alleges that the Foundation’s Board of Directors was controlled by the NRA and allowed the NRA to exploit it through risky multi-million-dollar loans—including a $5 million loan that the NRA has never repaid. Additionally, the Foundation agreed to pay the NRA millions of dollars in fees without documentation of the work the NRA was performing or how it supported the Foundation’s charitable purposes. With this lawsuit, OAG is seeking to return the charitable funds improperly wasted on the NRA to the Foundation and a court order imposing changes to the Foundation to ensure it is operated independently and fulfills its charitable purposes.

“Charitable organizations function as public trusts—and District law requires them to use their funds to benefit the public, not to support political campaigns, lobbying, or private interests,” said AG Racine. “With this lawsuit, we aim to recover donated funds that the NRA Foundation wasted. District nonprofits should be on notice that the Office of the Attorney General will file suit if we find evidence of illegal behavior.” 
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2020, 07:24:23 PM »
I don’t see her going after other so called charitable organizations that have outrageous benefits for the leaders. That should probably be dealt with by the members. I have no doubt that in this case this is a political hit job, not to protect the members of the NRA.

In case you missed it, a few years ago Wayne and his lackeys revised the by-laws, making it virtually impossible for the membership to have any control over their own organization.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design