Author Topic: Oh boy, this is going to be interesting... NY AG seeks to dissolve NRA  (Read 8327 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Oh boy, this is going to be interesting... NY AG seeks to dissolve NRA
« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2020, 12:24:28 AM »
I heard a while back that the company who does the phone calls paid the NRA a fixed amount for the year and then keeps all or most of the money they collect.  Could be wrong, but it was what I heard.

I don't know if this holds true for whatever company does the telephone fundraising for the NRA, but I do know that a number of years ago my state enacted a law requiring professional fundraisers to (a) submit their script to the state for approval beforehand, (b) stick to the script, and (c) tell people what percentage of their donations actually go to the organization they purport to be raining funds for. Unfortunately, our courts ruled that (c) is an unconstitutional infringement on something or other, so that part was tossed out. As for (a) and (b), I guess most of them do (a), but I don't think any of them do (b).

What came out of the discussions over our ill-fated law, though, was that most of these professional fundraisers work for police groups. And the fundraisers keep something like 80 to 90 percent of what they bring in. And the cops are happy with that, because 10 or 20 percent is better than nothing. I am of the opinion that the cops would do better just putting out a mass mailer, and asking people to donate directly to the department (or the police athletic fund, or policemen's benevolent association, or whatever). I won't talk to the professional fundraisers. If I happen to answer when they call (which only happens if I'm expecting a call from someone I want to talk to), I hang up. I've given up even trying to be polite.

I get a laugh out of the calls from the NRA. First, they always say "We," to make you believe that you're talking to an actual NRA employee. And they always refer to 'Wayne" by his first name, in words and tone designed to make you think that you're talking to one of Wayne's oldest and dearest friends.

As someone has already commented - they don't like it when you tell them that Wayne isn't the solution, Wayne is the problem, and that I won't contribute a nickel unless he's gone.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2020, 11:10:48 AM »
The state Sheriff's Association used to send me letters and phone calls.  They would always want you to commit to giving a certain amount and then they would make you stay on the line and have someone else verify you wanted to give it.  So first they try to guilt you into supporting some group then they drag you through a verification process.  Then you are on their junk mail list for eternity. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2020, 11:21:49 AM »
I don't know if this holds true for whatever company does the telephone fundraising for the NRA, but I do know that a number of years ago my state enacted a law requiring professional fundraisers to (a) submit their script to the state for approval beforehand, (b) stick to the script, and (c) tell people what percentage of their donations actually go to the organization they purport to be raining funds for. Unfortunately, our courts ruled that (c) is an unconstitutional infringement on something or other, so that part was tossed out. As for (a) and (b), I guess most of them do (a), but I don't think any of them do (b).

What came out of the discussions over our ill-fated law, though, was that most of these professional fundraisers work for police groups. And the fundraisers keep something like 80 to 90 percent of what they bring in. And the cops are happy with that, because 10 or 20 percent is better than nothing.
[/b]
I've heard that that's also true of at least some anti-abortion group phone fundraisers.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 02:20:28 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2020, 09:12:40 PM »
  The member base isn't going anywhere, hell, maybe this IS the year to torch it.  Right now, before the election.  Should rile up the Fudds and normies.

Destroying the only gun organization that has any pull in congress just before a rabid anti-gun pol becomes President?

That doesn't sound helpful... at all.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2020, 10:17:18 PM »
Destroying the only gun organization that has any pull in congress just before a rabid anti-gun pol becomes President?

That doesn't sound helpful... at all.

They do jack *expletive deleted*it now,  are you really saying the useful idiots that keep sending them money year after year wouldn't suddenly notice if the organization was threatened (for real, not the gay money grab emails they send out weekly) with destruction?  ( I say this as a life member that would otherwise donate if Wayne wasn't in charge)

The NRA membership is complacent and doesn't really care anyway.  Existential threat (or however they spin it) will only be good.  Which is more than they're doing now.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2020, 11:22:57 AM »
Additional insight in to the NRA dumpster fire.

https://dnyuz.com/2020/09/03/in-act-of-heresy-n-r-a-s-former-no-2-calls-for-gun-control/

From the article:

After the 2012 Sandy Hook massacre at an elementary school in Newtown, Conn., the N.R.A. rebuffed new gun control measures and instead promoted a “School Shield” program in which it would help review and recommend school safety countermeasures like arming security guards. Mr. Powell writes that he worked to boost the program after discovering it was little more than empty rhetoric — in the four years after Sandy Hook, the N.R.A. assessed the safety of only three schools.

School Shield was, IMHO, either a sham, a disaster, or another scheme to benefit only NRA insiders -- just like their Carry Guard insurance and training program.

School Shield sounded like a great program when I read about it. As an architect who has designed schools and who tries to keep current on school safety and security technology, I thought I could be an asset to a School Shield assessment team. And I'm an NRA life member and certified instructor. So I contacted the NRA to inquire how I could sign on as a School Shield inspector.

Answer: I can't. They only allow law enforcement officers to act as School Shield inspectors.

That, IMHO, is simply idiotic. Why exclude from the program the people who know the most about school design, and who are in the best position to influence the design of future schools? I think a program such as School Shield is a natural for a collaboration between law enforcement and the design community, but the NRA in its infinite wisdom didn't see it that way. Consequently, I wouldn't put any credence in a report produced by a School Shield team -- it will (by design) be a unilateral view, which is generally not a good approach to any issue.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 11:15:02 PM by Hawkmoon »

Pb

• friend
« Reply #57 on: September 04, 2020, 01:27:09 PM »
Additional insight in to the NRA dumpster fire.

https://dnyuz.com/2020/09/03/in-act-of-heresy-n-r-a-s-former-no-2-calls-for-gun-control/

Joshua L. Powell is a loathsome person.  The NRA had to pay off several sexual harassment lawsuits because of him, the staff hated him, and he was directly responsible for the carry guard debacle that cost the NRA tens of millions of dollars.  He was a big part of the NRA dumpster fire.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #58 on: October 06, 2020, 05:04:29 PM »
Enter the IRS

James’ suit alleges that LaPierre took millions of dollars in unreported income from the NRA and its vendors. From the WSJ report (paywall):

Asked at a news conference announcing the lawsuit whether she believed Mr. LaPierre had evaded personal taxes, Ms. James declined to comment but said she was referring the matter to the IRS.

The AG lawsuit claimed the NRA’s failure to include certain personal benefits in Mr. LaPierre’s W-2 annual-compensation forms “permitted him to file false personal tax returns with the IRS.”

P. Kent Correll, an attorney for Mr. LaPierre, said, “We’re not aware of any inquiry, so it would be premature for us to comment.”

WSJ: IRS Opens a Criminal Investigation of Wayne LaPierre
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/wsj-irs-opens-a-criminal-investigation-of-wayne-lapierre/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2020, 09:12:27 PM »
Enter the IRS

WSJ: IRS Opens a Criminal Investigation of Wayne LaPierre
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/wsj-irs-opens-a-criminal-investigation-of-wayne-lapierre/

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #60 on: October 07, 2020, 12:54:34 AM »

Pb

• friend
« Reply #61 on: October 07, 2020, 09:35:32 AM »
They do jack *expletive deleted*it now,  are you really saying the useful idiots that keep sending them money year after year wouldn't suddenly notice if the organization was threatened (for real, not the gay money grab emails they send out weekly) with destruction?  ( I say this as a life member that would otherwise donate if Wayne wasn't in charge)

The NRA membership is complacent and doesn't really care anyway.  Existential threat (or however they spin it) will only be good.  Which is more than they're doing now.

The NRA spent millions of dollars to get Trump elected.

That got us one, probably two Supreme Court picks that may start invalidating some gun laws.

If Hillary had won, Heller versus DC would have been overturned, just like Ginsberg predicted.

That is something the NRA, as screwed up as it is, has done.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #62 on: October 07, 2020, 03:08:48 PM »

That got us one, probably two Supreme Court picks that may start invalidating some gun laws.

If Hillary had won, Heller versus DC would have been overturned, just like Ginsberg predicted.

That was good, but I wish they would have redirected a lot of other money to helping get pro-Congressmen elected.  They might have been able to push more pro-gun legislation in the first two years of Trump's Presidency. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #63 on: October 07, 2020, 09:48:50 PM »

Citation needed.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2021, 01:50:48 PM »
She's piling more on

Hard to argue against this part

Efforts to question or challenge LaPierre’s leadership are quashed or ignored. For example, LaPierre retaliated against the NRA President after personally lobbying him to take on the position. LaPierre withdrew his critical support after the President began to independently assess the governance of the NRA upon learning of complaints by whistleblowers, senior staff and donors.

New York Attorney General Updates Her Complaint Against NRA With New Allegations of Mismanagement, Lack of Board Oversight
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/new-york-attorney-general-updates-her-complaint-against-nra-with-new-allegations-of-mismanagement-lack-of-board-oversight/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2021, 03:24:55 PM »
Good. Watch their sad face when they realize that gun rights really is grassroots and slaying the nra got them nothing but we all lol at the fall of Wayne Inc.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #67 on: August 17, 2021, 03:27:40 PM »
She's piling more on

Hard to argue against this part

New York Attorney General Updates Her Complaint Against NRA With New Allegations of Mismanagement, Lack of Board Oversight
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/new-york-attorney-general-updates-her-complaint-against-nra-with-new-allegations-of-mismanagement-lack-of-board-oversight/

Nothing really new here, other than the revision of the NY AG's case to include what we already knew.

And, despite an avalanche of confirming and verifiable evidence, there are still NRA members who show up on places like The Firing Line and accuse anyone who wants LaPierre gone and the NRA fixed to be "out to destroy the Second Amendment."

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #68 on: August 17, 2021, 03:37:45 PM »
Good. Watch their sad face when they realize that gun rights really is grassroots and slaying the nra got them nothing but we all lol at the fall of Wayne Inc.

Killing the NRA is a good thing.  All the resources those grifters have been sucking out of the honest members will now be available for other, better, organizations.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #69 on: August 17, 2021, 03:39:43 PM »
And, despite an avalanche of confirming and verifiable evidence, there are still NRA members who show up on places like The Firing Line and accuse anyone who wants LaPierre gone and the NRA fixed to be "out to destroy the Second Amendment."

Probably the same NRA proponents like the old guy I hunt with, who is a life member, but thinks ARs should be banned. I'm thinking that the NRA has an overly large segment of members who think the 2nd is about hunting rights and target shooting.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #70 on: August 17, 2021, 04:12:38 PM »
Probably the same NRA proponents like the old guy I hunt with, who is a life member, but thinks ARs should be banned. I'm thinking that the NRA has an overly large segment of members who think the 2nd is about hunting rights and target shooting.
Which is odd as the NRA annual meeting exhibit floor is full of tactical stuff along with the product lines of all the gun companies. 

sumpnz

• friend
LTC West challenging LaPierre for role in the NRA.  This might just be the defibrillator jolt that restarts the pulse.  Or not.

https://bearingarms.com/camedwards/2022/05/09/west-to-challenge-lapierre-for-nras-top-leadership-position-n58094?fbclid=IwAR3tv5bBTDcHFH7MRlexP2LerSNo5Eeb2aKspQAemmezFXW-bsZplasebmY

Andiron

• friend
Hmm

WLJ

• friends
At this point pretty much
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
LTC West challenging LaPierre for role in the NRA.  This might just be the defibrillator jolt that restarts the pulse.  Or not.

https://bearingarms.com/camedwards/2022/05/09/west-to-challenge-lapierre-for-nras-top-leadership-position-n58094?fbclid=IwAR3tv5bBTDcHFH7MRlexP2LerSNo5Eeb2aKspQAemmezFXW-bsZplasebmY

Ole' Wayne has been re-elected CEO of the NRA.  Only one vote for Allen West.  The BoD isn't about to interrupt the gravy train.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/nra-board-re-elects-wayne-lapierre-ceo
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.