Author Topic: Dune  (Read 20063 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Dune
« Reply #150 on: November 18, 2021, 11:05:29 AM »
Was in Sam's and noticed they had Dune books where the cover art showed the characters as they are portrayed in the 2021 movie. It was very similar to some of the movie posters I have seen with one exception, no Liet-Kynes. I wonder if that is because the Liet-Kynes of the 2021 movie doesn't resemble  how Liet-Kynes is described in the book and they thought that would confuse some readers. How long before the SJWs notice and start raising a stink?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 11:53:03 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #151 on: November 18, 2021, 12:17:09 PM »
I've long disliked this tendency to clothe a paperback in imagery from a motion picture version of the story.  To the best of my knowledge it really started with LotR in the early 2000's, I don't recall it with any other books before that.

But now all the Darryl Sweet illustrations from the WoT books are going to be replaced with what I consider to be an unsatisfactory imagining of Jordan's Wheel of Time by Amazon, especially since Amazon is hell-bent on convincing the world that WoT is "the next Game of Thrones!11!eleventy1one!"
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #152 on: November 18, 2021, 12:20:06 PM »
I've long disliked this tendency to clothe a paperback in imagery from a motion picture version of the story.  To the best of my knowledge it really started with LotR in the early 2000's, I don't recall it with any other books before that.

I seem to recall it being done with the 84 Dune as well.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #153 on: November 18, 2021, 12:56:27 PM »
"I've long disliked this tendency to clothe a paperback in imagery from a motion picture version of the story.  To the best of my knowledge it really started with LotR in the early 2000's, I don't recall it with any other books before that."

Hell, I remember it happening regularly back well before that.

In 1993 The Stand (complete paperback edition) was printed with Gary Sinise and Molly Ringwald on the cover. They were in the TV miniseries adaptation.

Before that in the mid 1970s Carrie was reprinted with Sissy Spacek on the cover.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #154 on: November 19, 2021, 08:12:24 AM »
My copy of True Grit has John Wayne on the cover.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #155 on: December 01, 2021, 06:46:23 PM »
I got to see this version of Dune this last weekend and found it to be absolutely fantastic. I can’t wait until the 2nd part comes out.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #156 on: December 01, 2021, 06:57:33 PM »
I have bought plenty of Scifi books that had covers that bore no relation to the book.  It doesn't bother me a great deal, but it does affect how you imagine the characters and landscape when you read the story for the first time. 

I was lucky with Lord of the Rings.  The book I read was a commemorative copy for what would be Tolkien's 100th birthday.  It has nice artwork distributed through the book (had all three books in one).  As it happens, that same artist consulted on the movie so the movie creatures looked very similar. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #157 on: December 02, 2021, 09:00:47 AM »
I about fell off my chair, I wasn't expecting that*.  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Dune Thufir/Twiki Calculation scene
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pf1cTSa9kRQ

*Of course recognizing the sound effect helps  :rofl:
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #158 on: December 02, 2021, 09:04:19 AM »
I about fell off my chair, I wasn't expecting that*.  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Dune Thufir/Twiki Calculation scene
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pf1cTSa9kRQ

*Of course recognizing the source of the sound effect helps  :rofl:

:rofl:

That's definitely showing your (and my) age!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #159 on: December 02, 2021, 09:08:59 AM »
Twiki wouldn't be allowed to exist in the Dune universe
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #160 on: December 02, 2021, 09:46:52 AM »
There is/was a math competition in grade school that required all work to be done in your head.  No calculators, no notes.  Write the answer only.  There a number of techniques for doing more complicated math in your head.  I imagine remembering all the facts and figures for instant recall takes a lot more mental discipline.  I wasn't sure in Dune if they had no computers or just no AI/robots.  With no computers, there would likely be a lot of people around doing that sort of mental work with the mentats being at a level above everyone else.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #161 on: December 02, 2021, 09:50:52 AM »
There is/was a math competition in grade school that required all work to be done in your head.  No calculators, no notes.  Write the answer only.  There a number of techniques for doing more complicated math in your head.  I imagine remembering all the facts and figures for instant recall takes a lot more mental discipline.  I wasn't sure in Dune if they had no computers or just no AI/robots.  With no computers, there would likely be a lot of people around doing that sort of mental work with the mentats being at a level above everyone else.

Kids nowadays look at you like you have some sort of bizarre superpower if you can figure out taxes and/or tips in your head in front of them.

biddi-biddi-biddi biddi-biddi-biddi biddi-biddi-biddi biddi-biddi-biddi

Tip $4.25
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #162 on: December 02, 2021, 10:21:41 AM »
Darn it, miss the opportunely for a joke

That should have been

biddi-biddi-biddi, biddi-biddi-biddi, biddi-biddi-biddi, biddi-biddi-biddi
4 Bucks 25
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 11:01:59 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #163 on: December 02, 2021, 10:26:02 AM »
Darn it, miss the opportunely for a joke

That should have been

4 Bucks 25

Your math is off...

Its tree fiddy!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #164 on: December 02, 2021, 02:09:14 PM »
Kids nowadays look at you like you have some sort of bizarre superpower if you can figure out taxes and/or tips in your head in front of them.

Tip $4.25
There have always been people who looked at math that way.  At least they were there when I was still in school. 

I had an engineering physics class at junior college with a retired guy who taught it.  He could look at a huge equation on the board and do it all in his head.  He would round up a lot and do it piece by piece, but he would always be within 10% of the answer.  He figured that was close enough for discussion purposes. 

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #165 on: December 17, 2021, 09:16:48 AM »
Reading Villeneuve may be doing Rendezvous With Rama
- Calvin and Hobbes

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #166 on: December 17, 2021, 09:19:50 AM »
That could be fun!
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #167 on: December 17, 2021, 09:21:01 AM »
Reading Villeneuve may be doing Rendezvous With Rama

Just saw that moments ago.  Interesting, for sure.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #168 on: March 28, 2022, 09:23:47 AM »
Finally saw it this weekend. Damn! Really, really looking forward to the next installment.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #169 on: March 28, 2022, 09:25:29 AM »
Unless you saw it in a theater, you didn't really see it.

Dune is one of those movies that MUST be seen on the big screen.

On a positive note, it won 6 Oscars yesterday. All technical category, but still.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #170 on: March 28, 2022, 09:26:39 AM »
Finally saw it this weekend. Damn! Really, really looking forward to the next installment.

Brad

Yeah, after I watched it I was thinking that I should have held off watching it until part 2 was ready to drop. I hate the waiting.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #171 on: March 28, 2022, 09:32:57 AM »
Unless you saw it in a theater, you didn't really see it.

Dune is one of those movies that MUST be seen on the big screen.

On a positive note, it won 6 Oscars yesterday. All technical category, but still.

65" screen at 8' viewing distance has the same effective field of view as sitting in most movie theaters. Sound setup is Dolby DTS:X capable and driving two fifteen inch subs. Trust me, not only did I get the full movie experience, I probably had the neighbors experiencing it, too.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #172 on: March 28, 2022, 09:34:44 AM »
If your feet weren't sticking to the floor because the jackwad in back of you spilled his big chug Pepsi, then you did NOT see it.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #173 on: March 28, 2022, 09:35:56 AM »
If your feet weren't sticking to the floor because the jackwad in back of you spilled his big chug Pepsi, then you did NOT see it.

Or if you not getting bedbugs from the seat.....     [barf]
- Calvin and Hobbes

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #174 on: March 28, 2022, 09:39:15 AM »

Well, yeah, there's that.

I was in my old ratty house shirt & day-old gym shorts and may have dropped some sammich crumbs on the floor. Does that count?

Brad
« Last Edit: March 28, 2022, 09:51:23 AM by Brad Johnson »
-HankB