Author Topic: Dune  (Read 19335 times)

Pb

• friend
Re: Dune
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2020, 12:00:04 PM »
The Dune novel mentioned physical armor very briefly.  Feyd Rautha was mentioned as wearing a partial coat of mail on two occasions.

Given that knives and swords are used extensively in the novel, physical armor would be a obvious supplement to energy shields. 

I am glad it looks like the movie is using this idea.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2020, 12:51:25 PM »
He dropped the Baron's red hair which in the book helped connect Jessica to the Baron but I will admit this change among others does work better in a visible medium for the Harkonnens in general.

DUNE 2020 - Denis Villeneuve Explains New Harkonnen Appearance and Homeworld Changes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OU4JEFg4VuA

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2020, 01:02:03 PM »
In the YT comments
Sanbro
1 day ago
Say what you want about the David Lynch movie, it's cast was outstanding. Real theatrical greats.

Vedla's House of Old TV Commercials
35 minutes ago
Indeed.  For me, the most memorable line was Jose Ferrer as Shaddam IV saying, "Bring in that floating fat man, the Baron!"

His voice did wonders with that line.  :rofl:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2020, 03:28:28 PM »
"Yeah, the book makes mention of "Slow pellet stunners" that could go through a shield, however it's not clear how a pellet or dart moving slow enough to penetrate a shield wouldn't have excessive drop or be nearly useless as a "gun". And that limitation aside, the dart or pellet would have to be very heavy to make up for it's low velocity. "

My guess? They work sort of the same way as the hunter-seeker that's used to try to assassinate Paul.

"The device floated through the air, using a tiny Holtzman Field Generatorto maneuver. The tip held a camera that transmitted a video signal back to the operator. Vision was distorted by the compressed suspensor field. Once detected, the target was almost guaranteed to be killed. The killing device itself was a tiny needle, tipped with a quick-acting, lethal poison. The needle was retracted until a target is acquired, at which point it appeared, shortly before the device shot into the victim."

So, a dumb version of a hunter seeker with no drop and no need to be controlled by someone.
I imagine such a weapon would be easy to evade or defeat one on one, but in a battle melee, there might be hundreds sent toward your group and you wouldn't see them all.  I guess there would be armor to defeat that in a battle.  It depends heavily on the technology used.  Could the tip of the penetrator have an explosive to punch through once it passed the shield? 

If it was just blades, I would think advanced technology would allow a fine chain mail or tough fabric that prevented penetration of a blade.  A poison needle might be different.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2020, 03:58:41 PM »
I believe it's the kind of advanced tech that can be designed after a couple doses of spice.  Before the folding space thing, but after the mentat mantra.

Also, in the Lynch move during the fall of house Atradies, both sides were mostly using projectile (or at particle beam) weapons, which leads me to believe the personal shields were expensive, and tended to be used on higher ranks and royalty, and the slow rounds to defeat them were likely also scarce.

The anti shield round seems to travel quickly (at least at normal "projectile speeds) until it encounters the shield, then it slows down and drills/powers through.  I always assumed that it was self powered (like the hunter/killer) and when it got to the person inside the shield it just continued it's slow advance under power, not needing mass or velocity to penetrate.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2020, 04:43:34 PM »

Also, in the Lynch move during the fall of house Atradies, both sides were mostly using projectile (or at particle beam) weapons, which leads me to believe the personal shields were expensive, and tended to be used on higher ranks and royalty, and the slow rounds to defeat them were likely also scarce.

That was in complete contradiction to the novel.

Projectile weapons were rarely used (with the exception of artillery the Baron used to collapse caves).

Energy weapons existed, but were not used often, as the intersection of a lasgun beam and a shield created subatomic fusion with a wildly unpredictable effect.

The fremen used projectile weapons more than most others, due to the uselessness of body shields in the desert.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2020, 06:33:18 PM »
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2020, 07:49:15 AM »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2020, 09:15:58 AM »
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2020, 09:36:48 AM »
Look like you'll have to wait another year.

Warner Bros. and Legendary Pictures have delayed the release of “Dune,” the big-budget sci-fi epic from director Denis Villeneuve. It will no longer premiere on Dec. 18 and is now slated to debut in theaters on Oct. 1, 2021.

A spokesperson for Warner Bros. declined to comment.
https://variety.com/2020/film/box-office/dune-release-date-delayed-2021-1234767105/
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #60 on: October 07, 2020, 09:40:41 AM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #61 on: October 07, 2020, 09:49:08 AM »
"Bunch of horses asses."

No, not really. This year has completely screwed everything, including the movie industry. Hell, Greyhound was pulled from theaters and then released to streaming. What REALLY sucked about that is that it was released on Apple streaming, which means that a ton of people who were really looking forward to seeing it... won't. I know I won't unless it's released from Apple, and I'm pretty sure that once something hits Apple it doesn't surface anywhere else.

But, once again, 2020 *expletive deleted*ing SUCKS!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #62 on: October 07, 2020, 10:47:27 AM »
"Bunch of horses asses."

No, not really. This year has completely screwed everything, including the movie industry. Hell, Greyhound

Dammit. I had that on my list to watch on Netflix (or Netflix DVD) then somehow forgot about it. Now I see why it fell off my radar. I just saw that pushing the new Bond movie to next year has caused a bunch of theaters to shut down.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #63 on: December 04, 2020, 02:16:32 PM »
News

Unless I overlooked it I didn't see a date

Warner Bros. to Debut Entire 2021 Film Slate, Including ‘Dune’ and ‘Matrix 4,’ Both on HBO Max and In Theaters
https://variety.com/2020/film/news/warner-bros-hbo-max-theaters-dune-matrix-4-1234845342/
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #64 on: December 04, 2020, 03:00:36 PM »
I guess I'll finally have to motivate myself to get HBO Max now that I have AT&T service...

And the 75" 4K TV I've been contemplating.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #65 on: December 11, 2020, 12:30:46 PM »
Why can nothing be simple? I couldn't care less about G vs KK

WarnerMedia's plan to debut 2021 Warner Bros. titles like The Suicide Squad simultaneously in theaters and on HBO Max has reportedly ruffled the feathers of production company Legendary Pictures.

According to Variety, Legendary Pictures is considering suing Warner Bros. over its plans to debut Godzilla vs. Kong and Dune on HBO Max. Both of these bid-budget projects were primarily financed by Legendary yet the production company was kept in the dark on WB's plans to release the films onto HBO Max. Providing additional frustration is that Warner Bros. reportedly prevented Legendary from selling Godzilla vs. Kong to HBO Max competitor Netflix months prior.

Warner Bros. May Face Lawsuit Over Godzilla vs. Kong, Dune HBO Max Release
Legendary Pictures is reportedly considering suing Warner Bros. over its plans to drop titles like Godzilla vs. Kong and Dune onto HBO Max.
https://www.cbr.com/warner-bros-lawsuit-godzilla-vs-kong-dune-hbo-max/
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #66 on: December 11, 2020, 01:03:38 PM »
Why can nothing be simple? I couldn't care less about G vs KK

Warner Bros. May Face Lawsuit Over Godzilla vs. Kong, Dune HBO Max Release
Legendary Pictures is reportedly considering suing Warner Bros. over its plans to drop titles like Godzilla vs. Kong and Dune onto HBO Max.
https://www.cbr.com/warner-bros-lawsuit-godzilla-vs-kong-dune-hbo-max/
The last Godzilla movie was a pretty good big screen movie.  I would prefer to see it at a theater.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #67 on: December 11, 2020, 01:05:20 PM »
I want Dune
- Calvin and Hobbes

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #68 on: June 28, 2021, 03:00:33 PM »
Looks like the Dune release date has been pushed back from 10/1 to 10/22. Hopefully, that's the final date.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #69 on: July 21, 2021, 04:00:15 PM »
Another trailer is being released on Friday. They're releasing it for free at IMax theatres in select cities today and tomorrow, I just heard about it today. If anyone is interested tickets and info are available at dunemovie.com.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #70 on: July 22, 2021, 10:02:45 AM »
The humor seen in the trailer feels forced to me and was quite frankly a little jarring. Perhaps added to appeal to a wider audience than just the hard core Dune fans.

Dune | Official Main Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g18jFHCLXk
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 10:16:45 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #71 on: July 22, 2021, 10:21:53 AM »
The humor seen in the trailer feels forced to me and was quite frankly a little jarring. Perhaps added to appeal to a wider audience than the hard core Dune fans.

Dune | Official Main Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g18jFHCLXk

To me, the humor seemed to show the camaraderie and affection between Gurney and the Atreides. Which fits with the book and is necessary for the plot.

I've started re-reading the original book for the millionth time. I'm really looking forward to this adaptation, even though there are discrepancies obvious even just from the trailers.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #72 on: July 22, 2021, 10:26:48 AM »
I'm going to re-read the book before I see the movie.

I saw the original movie when it first came out (and hadn't read the book). It was a fun movie, but a lot of it I just didn't understand (although the glossary sheet they handed out at the movie helped)...

I read the book in something like 4 days. I was absolutely captivated by it.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #73 on: July 22, 2021, 10:30:04 AM »
To me, the humor seemed to show the camaraderie and affection between Gurney and the Atreides. Which fits with the book and is necessary for the plot.

I think the way the trailer is edited had a lot to do the impression I got.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #74 on: July 22, 2021, 10:36:31 AM »
I'm going to re-read the book before I see the movie.

That's a great idea. I rewatch the David Lynch movie quite a bit, and I guess am one of the few weirdos that likes it. I haven't read the book in probably 30 years though, and it would be good to reacquaint myself with the "baseline" before the new movie comes out.

What's the latest on it - will it be theaters only now, or are they still thinking about a streaming release?