R.I.P. Scout26

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Dune  (Read 4945 times)

Pb

• friend
Re: Dune
« Reply #100 on: September 05, 2021, 12:24:26 PM »

This for example
"Villeneuve’s film sees this story through the eyes of the great family’s young heir, Paul (Timothée Chalamet), and embraces the boy’s awestruck confusion at moving to a desert world and learning that he was bred to be the white savior of its native people. "

*spoliers*

That's absurd because... 1) the fremen are Caucasians also and 2) he isn't bred to be the savior of the native people, they falsely believe he is the messiah because their religion has was cynically manipulated by outsiders and  2) Paul doesn't save the Fremen.

The central idea of the series is that heroes are disastrously for humanity, because people follow them (or their ideas about their hero) to destruction.

One of my favorite lines in the book is "No more terrible disaster could befall your people than for them to fall into the hands of Hero."

Setting this up is the purpose of the first book.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #101 on: September 05, 2021, 12:42:50 PM »

That's absurd because... 1) the fremen are Caucasians also

I don't think that Earth ethnicity applies to an alien race on an alien planet.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

WLJ

• friends
  • I am not a cat
« Reply #102 on: September 05, 2021, 12:48:41 PM »

I don't think that Earth ethnicity applies to an alien race on an alien planet.

The Fremen aren't an alien race as they are the descendants of humans that arrived there thousands of years before the book. There are no alien races in Dune unless you count the genetically modified humans, ie The Spacing Guild (mutated by the spice in their case), as non-human.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2021, 01:37:40 PM by WLJ »
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.”
~George Carlin

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #103 on: September 15, 2021, 10:25:04 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBBenVUVpEs
DUNE Extended Trailer - "Royal Houses"

Looking at this, the movie looks like it will be pretty good.  Aside from a couple of casting choices, it appears it is following the book pretty close.  We will see.  October 22 will come pretty quickly.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #104 on: October 07, 2021, 01:02:40 PM »

Well this is pretty darned cool!

My friend Dave and I saw the original 1984 version of Dune in the theaters.

We were talking the other night while we were gaming and I told him he needs to grab a seat on a plane and come east so we can see this version of Dune on 22 October.

He checked into it, and he should be able to get a flight. His son has been hired on with American Airlines's Envoy Air subsidiary, so he gets to fly for free.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #105 on: October 07, 2021, 02:38:24 PM »

The only thing about this is it is just the first half of the story.  I am sort of assuming they will end it where the Harkonens take Arrakis back and Paul and his mother find sanctuary with the Fremen.  It might be interesting to see where the first movie ends as that point is 2/3 to 3/4 of the book. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
« Reply #106 on: October 07, 2021, 03:15:07 PM »

The only thing about this is it is just the first half of the story. 

Well I did not know this was gonna be a two part movie. It makes sense for telling the story better, but the way Hollywood works these days, part two will be released around 2035 or so.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #107 on: October 07, 2021, 06:05:32 PM »

The only thing about this is it is just the first half of the story.  I am sort of assuming they will end it where the Harkonens take Arrakis back and Paul and his mother find sanctuary with the Fremen.  It might be interesting to see where the first movie ends as that point is 2/3 to 3/4 of the book.

The last scene is Paul's knife fight with the Fremen, It fades to credits as they are carrying away the body.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #108 on: October 08, 2021, 07:57:28 AM »

Well *expletive deleted*it. I had no idea it was a two parter, either.

That makes me a bit happier, though, because the one thing I realized when I finally read Dune a couple of years ago is just how much the first movie left out.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #109 on: October 08, 2021, 10:37:12 AM »

Plus, the book lays out the story up to that point in pretty great detail with only a handful of things just mentioned in passing*.  From his joining the Fremen to the end, there are large gaps left which a 2nd movie could fill in if they are careful.

* I had forgotten that the Duke staged a raid on the Harkonnen home world and destroyed the excess spice they were holding back in reserve.  Something I picked up rereading the book recently.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #110 on: October 13, 2021, 10:10:19 PM »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]